Battle Royale XIV discussion thread

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I do agree with that. You use everything available within the context of the passage to ascertain its meaning. The context can be quite broad (as I explained in my 1-1 which I sent you a link to) including a study of the language and idioms in use. The problem with this particular verse is that no research has found anything that could possibly shed light on it - other than the ironic fact that there is a long history of making wild guesses at it.
Thanks again D.R. I have no idea if you would be interested in it, but if so, just email to me at Bob@kgov.com your mailing address and I'll send to you our Hermeneutics seminar on MP3 CD (playable on any PC, mp3 player, DVD, etc.)

Thanks again,

- Bob E.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It looks like confidence and faith built on sand to me. The KJV cannot be the inerrant version based on comparisons to other versions. That is begging the question. The only attempt at a positive argument for KJO is that it is revealed to some people that the KJV is inerrant. Why cant that be said for any version and the same arguments used? :confused:

Of course my confusion is compounded by WK's admission that there are errors in the KJV! I've never really gotten into the details of this topic before but is this really it?

built on sand?
I liked that
it has a familiar ring
so
we really have to ask the question
why is it so important to believe the kjv is the only one you can trust?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:) Oh, and the voice of the turtle was heard throughout the land. Hmm. Kinney's defense of that was about as loud as that turtle's.

I wonder if Kinney knows the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?

I ask because apparently Kinney doesn't know the difference between a turtle and a turtledove.

(Song of Solomon 2:12 ESV) The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.

(Song of Solomon 2:12 KJV) The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;

Maybe STP, Kinney, or heir can tell us about their singing turtle?

SaulToPaul 2

I ask because apparently Kinney doesn't know the difference between a turtle and a turtledove.

(Song of Solomon 2:12 ESV) The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.

(Song of Solomon 2:12 KJV) The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;

Tet: "The KJV is without error."

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't believe there is one. We have enough information though to know what God said and His word is preserved. The KJB might be the best version, but WK seems offended by that idea.

the only reliable source we have
is
His church built on a rock

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This post cracked me up, as WK posted a verse from his inerrant version.
(Notice the yellow highlight done by me.)

Not if they are King James Bible believers. Otherwise, Yes, they are just spinning their wheels and coming up with their own opinions, that are different from everybody else's opinions.

"In those days there was no king in Israel; every many did that which was right in his own eyes." Judges 21:25

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator

Hey now stop making fun t.

SaulToPaul 2

Great question STP. We are justified by the faith of Christ, His faithfulness. Paul uses a genitive in those verses as I recall.

Thanks.

When you preach those verses referring to his faith, do you preach from the KJB?

Do you switch versions mid sermon, based on the ones you believe to be most accurate for each verse? It may sound flippant, but it is a serious question.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I posted to WK that he can put KJV after any scripture and it pulls up KJV. Right now all his scripture posts pull up NKJV - :idunno:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the word test is not in the kjv
how can you not see the life we are living as a test of our free will?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hey now stop making fun t.

hey, the turtles make tons of noise around my house outside.

Song of Songs 2:12 NIV - Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land.

Song of Songs 2:12 KJV -

Last edited:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks.

When you preach those verses referring to his faith, do you preach from the KJB?

Do you switch versions mid sermon, based on the ones you believe to be most accurate for each verse? It may sound flippant, but it is a serious question.
No, I don't switch mid-sermon, probably not unlike Paul when he quoted from the Hebrew O.T. and went on to its Greek translation in the Septuagint. Since God's Word is robust enough to effectively survive human transmission, and since Jesus wasn't uptight on which translation to quote from, I easily draw from either.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Thanks.

He certainly couldn't go to the ASV, ESV, NKJV, NIV or NASB as they don't uphold the faith OF Jesus Christ!

from www.biblegateway.com

Galatians 2:16American Standard Version (ASV)
16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed on Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:16English Standard Version (ESV)
16 yet we know thata person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 2:16New King James Version (NKJV)
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Galatians 2:16New International Version (NIV)
16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law,but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 2:16New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.