Discussion thread for AMR and God's Truth Trinity Debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GT,

When asked to explain why this or that verse supports your position you must do more than merely state a naked opinion. You must examine the surrounding context of the passage, its historical mileu, the intended audience, the writer's intentions, the literary forms being used, and the grammar. Then you must consult the full counsel of Scripture while repeating all the above. Finally you must check in with the community of the saints that have also weighed in on these passages, for we interpret Scripture in community, just as we worship and assemble in community.

The average believer need not be an expert grammarian in the ancient languages, but they should be familiar with some good tools such as concordances, lexicons, and dictionaries. Over time one can also find a few trusted commentators to help check one's own conclusions and when you find yourself at odds with these trusted sources that should send up alarms indicating you need to dig deeper. Avoiding the instruction of a local assembly will only increase your isolated opinions, so get yourself into a church as soon as possible. Spend some time sampling the views of others here at TOL. Invariably those holding odd and even heretical views are persons who refuse to be members of a church. You are one of those said persons and it should give you pause.

EDIT:
A good tutorial for using Biblegateway to get you started:
http://jasonneilsoto.com/2013/12/06/how-to-study-the-bible-online-biblegateway-com/

AMR

Last edited:

God's Truth

When asked to explain why this or that verse supports your position you must do more than merely state a naked opinion.
I do not state opinions. I speak only about what is written.
You must examine the surrounding context of the passage, its historical mileu, the intended audience, the writer's intentions, the literary forms being used, and the grammar. Then you must consult the full counsel of Scripture while repeating all the above. Finally you must check in with the community of the saints that have also weighed in on these passages, for we interpret Scripture in community, just as we worship and assemble in community.
All your so-called education has done nothing for you to know the truth.
I do not have to write the nonsense you say.
The average believer need not be an expert grammarian in the ancient languages, but they should be familiar with some good tools such as concordances, lexicons, and dictionaries.
Dictionaries and concordances are not scripture. They may have errors. Strong was not an apostle.
Over time one can also find a few trusted commentators to help check one's own conclusions and when you find yourself at odds with these trusted sources that should send up alarms indicating you need to dig deeper.
I check my beliefs with God, not with your choice commentators.
Avoiding the instruction of a local assembly will only increase your isolated opinions, so get yourself into a church as soon as possible. Spend some time sampling the views of others here at TOL. Invariably those holding odd and even heretical views are persons who refuse to be members of a church. You are one of those said persons and it should give you pause.
You do not give advice that the written word gives. You hide behind a denomination. You are deep in false doctrines. You have the spirit of John Calvin, and are proud of it.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do not state opinions. I speak only about what is written.
No, what you do, GT, is parrot back naked words. Scripture requires study and proper methods of interpretation of what one is studying. The Holy Spirit is not just going to pop the infallibe meaning of Scripture into your head. We are to use our God-given mental faculties to wrestle with Scripture, for it contains hard sayings that are not immediately understood. Even Paul's fellow Apostles struggled to understand him. You cannot simply post a verse or two of Scripture and then declare you have properly exposited its meaning.

All your so-called education has done nothing for you to know the truth.
I do not have to write the nonsense you say.
Yes, you do. Stomping your feet in resistance does not change the fact at all, GT. Yes, you must do more than run around quoting Scripture and stating an opinion. You have to make an argument that holds together in light of Scripture. Paul was not an uneducated man, GT. Nor were any of the apostles after being taught by The Most Educated One. Your position is quite immature and I am slowly coming to the conclusion that you may be quite young. I may be wrong. Can you clear this up for me? Are you in your twenties? How long have you considered yourself a believer?

Dictionaries and concordances are not scripture. They may have errors. Strong was not an apostle.
I check my beliefs with God, not with your choice commentators.
Of course they are not Scripture. They are tools, GT. How do you get some sense of the historical context of books of the Bible? You use a good Bible Dictionary. How do you perform simple sanity checks on your own conclusions? Discuss it with others? Review what others have said? When you want to find all the verses in Scripture discussing the word "Spirit" what do you do? I know you use web sites to do this and see it in your posts, so stop being argumentative.

Your self-righteousness is actually sinful. Do you honestly believe that all the men who have written about their study of Scripture in books, commentaries, etc., did not possess the same indwelling of the Holy Spirt you claim you do? What makes you so right and everyone else so wrong?

Strong makes for a good concordance, but I would find a better author for lexicons. There is much truth to the phrase, "If it is in Strong, it's probably wrong" when it comes to Strong's lexicons. Unfortunately since his work is in the public domain now almost every tool or web site includes Strong's lexicons. The unaware simply assume if Strong's lexicon is part of a software tool or on some Bible website it must be really good. Wrong.

You do not give advice that the written word gives. You hide behind a denomination. You are deep in false doctrines. You have the spirit of John Calvin, and are proud of it.
You know, GT, I have struggled mightily to not meet you at the same level when it comes to these personalizations. After deciding that you were in fact a woman (after we agreed to the One-on-One) I even went back and edited some of my more infelicitous choices of words related to your methods. I have focused my criticsims on your methods and inability to properly interpret Scripture. Despite this, you continue to relish making pointed attacks rather than just recognizing that your strengths in proper Scripture interpretation are weak.

Rather than just tell me my interpretations of Scripture are wrong, I would welcome your attempt to prove that I am wrong. When will that happen?

AMR

God's Truth

No, what you do, GT, is parrot back naked words. Scripture requires study and proper methods of interpretation of what one is studying. The Holy Spirit is not just going to pop the infallibe meaning of Scripture into your head. We are to use our God-given mental faculties to wrestle with Scripture, for it contains hard sayings that are not immediately understood. Even Paul's fellow Apostles struggled to understand him. You cannot simply post a verse or two of Scripture and then declare you have properly exposited its meaning.
Scriptures become confusing when they have people such as yourself teaching false doctrines.
Yes, you do. Stomping your feet in resistance does not change the fact at all, GT.
You make up lies, stories, as if it were true. All it shows is you are a contentious person. I am not stomping my feet.
Yes, you must do more than run around quoting Scripture and stating an opinion. You have to make an argument that holds together in light of Scripture. Paul was not an uneducated man, GT.
Paul considered his education rubbish.
Nor were any of the apostles after being taught by The Most Educated One. Your position is quite immature and I am slowly coming to the conclusion that you may be quite young. I may be wrong. Can you clear this up for me? Are you in your twenties? How long have you considered yourself a believer?
You are wrong about my age, and about the scriptures. I am not in my twenties. I have believed in God my whole life, since a young child. I was not saved until about the age of 36, after I started obeying Jesus.
Of course they are not Scripture. They are tools, GT. How do you get some sense of the historical context of books of the Bible? You use a good Bible Dictionary. How do you perform simple sanity checks on your own conclusions? Discuss it with others? Review what others have said? When you want to find all the verses in Scripture discussing the word "Spirit" what do you do? I know you use web sites to do this and see it in your posts, so stop being argumentative.
Using the online Bible translation and the corresponding scriptures is not the same as doing what you are doing. You think studying Greek helps you to know God’s Truth. You picked a denomination, and listen to your denomination's choice teachers, but that does not mean you know the Truth. You read Strong’s as if it were the Bible itself. It is not.
Your self-righteousness is actually sinful. Do you honestly believe that all the men who have written about their study of Scripture in books, commentaries, etc., did not possess the same indwelling of the Holy Spirt you claim you do? What makes you so right and everyone else so wrong?
The devil ensnares people to do his will. If you are teaching things that the scriptures do not say then you should be told.
Strong makes for a good concordance, but I would find a better author for lexicons. There is much truth to the phrase, "If it is in Strong, it's probably wrong" when it comes to Strong's lexicons. Unfortunately since his work is in the public domain now almost every tool or web site includes Strong's lexicons. The unaware simply assume if Strong's lexicon is part of a software tool or on some Bible website it must be really good. Wrong.
You just proved what I have been saying.
You know, GT, I have struggled mightily to not meet you at the same level when it comes to these personalizations. After deciding that you were in fact a woman (after we agreed to the One-on-One) I even went back and edited some of my more infelicitous choices of words related to your methods. I have focused my criticsims on your methods and inability to properly interpret Scripture. Despite this, you continue to relish making pointed attacks rather than just recognizing that your strengths in proper Scripture interpretation are weak.
You do not know for sure if I am a man, or a woman. If you knew God better, you would know that is does not matter. Tell me, why do you make it matter? Why would you speak better to woman than to a man? Men need to speak better to each other. It is not a sign of weakness to speak with love to each other; it is a sign of being a true worshiper.
Rather than just tell me my interpretations of Scripture are wrong, I would welcome your attempt to prove that I am wrong. When will that happen?
Try humbling yourself.

fishrovmen

GT, Steko asked you three what? persons? And your response was "You say persons as if God is a mere man."
You, yourself, called Jesus a person; so your response to Steko comes back on you.

God's Truth

GT, Steko asked you three what? persons? And your response was "You say persons as if God is a mere man."
You, yourself, called Jesus a person; so your response to Steko comes back on you.

Jesus came as a person, he came as a Son of Man, a Son of God. Jesus was no mere man.

Is a Spirit a person? Do you think it makes it clear to call the Spirit a person? The meaning of person is a mortal.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul considered his education rubbish.
No, Paul rightfully considered everything rubbish when compared to knowledge of Christ. This comparison is what is being taught by Paul, not that education of those with knowledge of Christ is rubbish. Once more you show your inability to interpret Scripture.

You are wrong about my age, and about the scriptures. I am not in my twenties. I have believed in God my whole life, since a young child. I was not saved until about the age of 36, after I started obeying Jesus.
I said I may be wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. Are you a woman? How long have you considered yourself a believer? 2 yrs? 5 yrs? 10 yrs?

You think studying Greek helps you to know God’s Truth...You read Strong’s as if it were the Bible itself. It is not.
So studying the underlying languages from which you read English translations is not getting closer to God's truth? Do you not see the illogic of your statement? I also stated I do not recommend Strong's lexicons, so I do not read Strongs. I do recommend his concordances. You use concordances all the time on web pages. I see it from your posts in our One-on-One where you are searching for word hits. Do not be disingenuous.

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.