Battle Royale IX ideas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath

Perhaps he was looking for a concept to contrast with the idea of "letter of the law". Something hinted at in Rom. 7:6, perhaps. :think:
The letter is the Law, while the Spirit is the Holy Spirit. Note that every translation that capitalizes words that stand for God capitalizes "Spirit" in that verse.

• But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter. Romans 7:6

Chileice

Originally posted by Turbo

The letter is the Law, while the Spirit is the Holy Spirit. Note that every translation that capitalizes words that stand for God capitalizes "Spirit" in that verse.

• But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter. Romans 7:6

Technically, you are right. I was not making a "Biblical" statement but using a colloquialism that we have come to accept. I was thinking more in the terms of Matthew 12:

Lord of the Sabbath

1At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath."
3He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread--which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5Or haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent? 6I tell you that one greater than the temple is here. 7If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. 8For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."
9Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?�
11He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."
13Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

In other words, are there times where to live the "law" of Jesus' love we will have to set aside other "laws" in order to do it? Some people seem to think not as in the original suggestion, "Would God want you to lie?" Would it ever be right to steal even though one of the Ten Commandments id "Do not steal"? How bound to the letter of the law are we? Or can we pretty much make up our own set of laws if it seems the moral thing to do at the time. I think we would get some pretty good discussion going and there are probably good Christians who would be on either end and some in between.

Not just Christians but the whole idea of a moral/ethical value set. Can we violate our principles for the greater good?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
May I suggest a foundational debate about one of the big "somethings" that divide Christianity. You're more likely to get a good readership with a more controversial topic...

• Trinity vs. Unity

Nature of "The Lord's Supper" - remembrance or reenactment?

Infant baptism and covenant theology

Role of the clergy - priesthood or preachers?

Is "sola scriptura" scriptural?

Is there a "right" Christian Bible?

Fun stuff like those. :D

add yasaf

Zakath quote - Nature of "The Lord's Supper" - remembrance or reenactment?

There is another option held. That is one of the spiritual presence of Christ.

Zakath quote - Is "sola scriptura" scriptural?

The way "sola scriptura" was originally used was not the way fundamentalists use it today. You might want to be more specific and talk about ONE standard or MANY standards.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I vote A. But, I would really love to debate someone on something. Of course, it would have to be somehting that I know enough about. I could debate Turbo on DC vs Marvel. :chuckle:

titan

:down: There is no such thing as "the spirit of the law." Or at least, it is not a Biblical concept.

I do not know if you can call it the "spirit of the law" but Jesus did say that all the Law boiled down to "Love God." and "Love your neighbor."

When the Pharisees demanded he obey Sabbath law, he ignored them and healed the paraplegic man, thereby obeying the higher law embodied in the two greatest commandments.

The problem with "letter of the law" is that no one (even God) has ever written a law that was lawyer-proof.

Titan

titan

Sorry, I missed this one. It seems that you are not arguing for the letter of the law, but for living by the Spirit without law at all.

In order to make this post on topic and atone for my previous one,

How about a theodicy Battle Royale?

Is there anything that would be wrong for God to do, or would God by doing it make it moral?

This is a question I have seen touched upon in other threads. It seems to fracture upon the usual Calvinist/Arminian/OV lines.

Titan

Crow

There's a few people around here I would like to see do a Battle Royale--

:Clete: :turbo: :1Way: ::sozo2:

Sozo

Originally posted by Crow

Battle Royale X

vs

:poly: :crow: :sibbie: :Nineveh:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by add yasaf

I'll go against Clete talking about the Mid-Acts heresy, I mean teaching.

You don't mean teaching! You are disrespectful liar.

Putting you in a Battle Royale would lend way more credibility to you than is deserved and one against me would be especially difficult as you have just made my ignore list. Your cocky, disrespectful attitude is off the charts and I’ve had all I stand.

Resting in Him,
Clete

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Crow

Having Sozo in a BR would be a first, I don't think a BR participant has ever been banned in the middle of a Battle before.

:D

add yasaf

Clete Pfeiffer quote - You don't mean teaching! You are disrespectful liar.

Putting you in a Battle Royale would lend way more credibility to you than is deserved and one against me would be especially difficult as you have just made my ignore list. Your cocky, disrespectful attitude is off the charts and I’ve had all I stand.

I have already replied to your post about me supposedly being disrespectful, and you ignored it!!! How disrespectful of you!!!!

I told you before that I am not personally attacking Bob, but his theology. He is the one to make a public show of being a Bible answer man. And so it is only fair that his theology be critiqued publicly. If anyone disagrees with this line of thinking, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by add yasaf
I have already replied to your post about me supposedly being disrespectful, and you ignored it!!! How disrespectful of you!!!!
I didn't respond because I do not believe you.

I told you before that I am not personally attacking Bob, but his theology. He is the one to make a public show of being a Bible answer man. And so it is only fair that his theology be critiqued publicly.
Yes this is the line of poo that you back peddled to after having nearly gotten booted off the site.

The following quotes convey your real position....

Bob Enyart vs. Add Yasaf in any debate. I just don't like the guy.
You were actually referring to Bob Hill here but didn't know enough about either man to know that they were two different people.

There is a good reason why I can say that I do not like Bob. I was on his site and we were discussing open theism, and I was asking him some questions, and he suddenly stopped the thread and deleted it.

Clete can verify this. I was trying to bring some of the discussion over here to this site to help things along, when he up and deleted the thread. He never did answer the questions.

I am not trying to get back at him, but I think he spreads a lot of misinformation based on little theological background and can be quite misleading.

Then you started a thread entitled, "bobhill's bad theology" which has a decidedly condescending and arrogant tone....

This thread is dedicated to stopping Bob Hill's bad theology. Actually it is not too hard to do this. But at least there will be one less bad teacher of Scripture around for people to follow.

I am about to bring a can of whoop@#^ on Bobby.
Now if this isn't personal disrespect what the heck is?!
Calling a man who is twice your age and who has been in the ministry for longer than you've existed both a "bad teacher of Scripture" and then referring to him as "Bobby".
I tell you now. If I could I would happily and proudly punch you in the mouth for having said this.
You go on to say in this post...
I randomly picked a topic on his site and surprise, surprise, Bob shows his lack of training in Biblical studies.
More blatant disrespect and what's worse is that you admit that your statements stem from a complete lack of familiarity with what he teaches! You randomly picked something from his site! Did you spend more than five minutes reading anything on his site to see how he establishes his positions? Are you aware that in most of his answers he assumes the person asking the question already understands that he is speaking from a dispensational position and that he makes no effort to reestablish the foundational issues that his answers are based upon? Obviously not! :rolleyes:

You did cool your disrespectful jets when Knight told you to pipe down or get lost. But then you post this..

I'll go against Clete talking about the Mid-Acts heresy, I mean teaching.
A statement indicating that you consider Bob Hill a heretic which is utterly unfounded.

Nobody says you have to like Pastor Hill. The point is you have decided to turn your dislike for his theology into dislike, and more importantly disrespect, for a very great man of God who simply does not deserve such disrespect. Such a loss of emotional control has basically made it impossible for you to get any traction on getting your view even heard because anyone here who is familiar with the Open View or Acts 9 Dispensationalism looks at Pastor Hill like a father and now won't touch a discussion on the issue involving you with a ten foot pole.

As I said before, if you would like to start another thread explaining how you jumped to conclusions that were unfounded about Pastor Hill and how you apologize for your disrespectfulness, then I might consider discussing the issue with you, depending upon whether you sell me on the sincerity of your apology.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Greywolf

JoM vs. Sozo or Turbo
Was Jesus God?

(Assuming any of them would be interested in participating.)

JosephofMessiah doesn't beleive that Jesus is God? Hmm! Maybe there was a good reason I had him on my ignore list after all!

Good topic idea by the way, but "Was" probably should be replaced with "Is".

"Is Jesus God?" rather than "Was Jesus God?", minor point I know, but it jumped out at me and I'm sort of bored at the moment, so I thought I'd say something.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
How about Aimiel vs Sozo on whatever it is that might cool off the bickering? ... or would it make it worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.