Grandstand discussion: "Ghost's Views on The Nature of Christ"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
In mho...people's intents can be misconstrued.

I don't believe Jesus had two nature's either....and, I also do not believe you have to interpret the bible knowing greek.

Languages and words..words and languages...a word does not change meanings; due to it being in a different language; and this is what Ghost is meaning, in mho..and, I agree with that concept.
But sometimes words are mis-translated. In the KJV a word was translated as "slave" and that single translation led slavery as we had it in the US. The word should have been translated as "bond-servant" which is completely different than slavery. That is why it is important to know some history and some original language.

graceandpeace

But sometimes words are mis-translated. In the KJV a word was translated as "slave" and that single translation led slavery as we had it in the US. The word should have been translated as "bond-servant" which is completely different than slavery. That is why it is important to know some history and some original language.

how is the word 'slave' different than the analogy of a 'bond servant'?

A bond servant is a slave...but, the point I was trying to make is not in comparing translations; but that a word does not change meaning from one language to another. If you say a sentence in any language; it still says the same thing.

:wave2:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

A bond servant is a slave...but, the point I was trying to make is not in comparing translations; but that a word does not change meaning from one language to another. If you say a sentence in any language; it still says the same thing.

No, it is not the same. A slave is an unwilling arrangement. I take you prisoner and force you to work for me. A bond servant at the time of Christ was a person who sold themselves into bondage to a family. They were frequently trusted with raising the children and managing the finances of their owner.

The other problem you run into is that some words in one language do not have direct translations into a different language. A few years ago VW had an ad campaign built on the word "farfugnugen" (I have no idea if that is spelled correctly). There is no English translation for that word, instead, it is translated based on the context and the feeling the word conveys in German. Languages are never ever translate as word for word. In Greek there are four words used to convey the emotion of love. The four words convey different intensity of the emotion. In English we have one word.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I didn't say "no" to the things you said I did. You are a liar. Plain and simple.
No more so than you. Each and every time you respond to a line or a phrase from a poster and ignore the rest of the post you are guilty of what you accuse me (and others) of.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Prove that I have done so, pervert. Provide one single piece of evidence. You can't. :loser:
Okey dokey. Here is what I said originally:

Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion
Ghost, as a self-professed teacher of Scripture, do you believe that exegesis requires those of us that teach Scripture possess a sound knowledge and consideration of the underlying ancient Biblical languages?

Originally Posted by Ghost: No

Ghost, do you believe that when one is engaged in a formal theological discussion, such as this one-on-one, that proper exegesis is an essential aspect to make one’s points clear and to illuminate the Scripture being discussed?

Ghost, perhaps you think formal exegesis is interpreting English translations only? Why? If so, then which English translation should we all be using?

Originally Posted by Ghost: Which Greek translation should we all be using?

If all this other crap is what you wanted to debate, then perhaps you should have not have switched it to Apollinarianism.

Hmmm.. It appears as though Ghost does not believe that a person needs to have sound knowledge of biblical principles to either teach the bible or to hold a discussion with people about the meaning of the bible. This is either a very concerning attitude on Ghost's part or its just Ghost being flippant. I am guessing it is the latter. Ghost has a tendency to become very flippant with people he does not care for and this seems to be the case here.

Here is your response.

Originally Posted by CabinetMaker
Hmmm.. It appears as though Ghost does not believe that a person needs to have sound knowledge of biblical principles to either teach the bible or to hold a discussion with people about the meaning of the bible.

It appears that you cannot read, and are in fact a liar and a slanderer. I never implied or said anything close to your false accusation.
So you responded to the first sentence and ignored the second sentence wherein I said that you were not saying that a person did not need a sound biblical base for teaching and debates. It would appear that you read the first sentence, blew a cork, fired of your typical response and never bothered to actually read the rest of the post.

ghost

Hall of Fame
So you responded to the first sentence and ignored the second sentence wherein I said that you were not saying that a person did not need a sound biblical base for teaching and debates. It would appear that you read the first sentence, blew a cork, fired of your typical response and never bothered to actually read the rest of the post.
You just lied again.

You're such an idiot. :rotfl:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You just lied again.

You're such an idiot. :rotfl:
"It appears that you cannot read, and are in fact a liar and a slanderer. I never implied or said anything close to your false accusation. "

Now who said that...

ghost

Hall of Fame
"It appears that you cannot read, and are in fact a liar and a slanderer. I never implied or said anything close to your false accusation. "

Now who said that...
CM...

You said:

"It appears as though Ghost does not believe that a person needs to have sound knowledge of biblical principles to either teach the bible or to hold a discussion with people about the meaning of the bible."

You claimed from my responses to AMR that I don't believe someone needs to have a "sound knowledge of biblical principles" to teach or hold a discussion about the meaning of the Bible.

I NEVER said any such thing, because I DO BELIEVE you must have sound knowledge of biblical principles to teach or hold a discussion about the meaning of the Bible.

I never said otherwise.

You are a liar, and an idiot.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
CM...

You said:

"It appears as though Ghost does not believe that a person needs to have sound knowledge of biblical principles to either teach the bible or to hold a discussion with people about the meaning of the bible."

You claimed from my responses to AMR that I don't believe someone needs to have a "sound knowledge of biblical principles" to teach or hold a discussion about the meaning of the Bible.

I NEVER said any such thing, because I DO BELIEVE you must have sound knowledge of biblical principles to teach or hold a discussion about the meaning of the Bible.

I never said otherwise.

You are a liar, and an idiot.
That is what I pointed out in the part of the original post that you continue to ignore. It is just that your response to AMR was so poorly worded that it is hard to determine what part of AMR's post you were saying no to. SO, I needled you a bit about the poor wording and then pointed out that you were basically being obtuse.

ghost

Hall of Fame
That is what I pointed out in the part of the original post that you continue to ignore. It is just that your response to AMR was so poorly worded that it is hard to determine what part of AMR's post you were saying no to. SO, I needled you a bit about the poor wording and then pointed out that you were basically being obtuse.
My "no" responses are to his questions. I said "no" to them, because I meant "no".

AMR never asked me the things that you in turn accused me of saying "no" to.

Get it?

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Actually, words have a semantical range of meaning and concepts can vary from age to age, culture to culture, region to region.

We must find out what it meant to the original audience in their language/thought patterns and then make application by way of principle to our times.

Slavery in biblical times was closer to employee-employer, not black slave vs white lord.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
My "no" responses are to his questions. I said "no" to them, because I meant "no".

AMR never asked me the things that you in turn accused me of saying "no" to.

Get it?

Ghost, as a self-professed teacher of Scripture, do you believe that exegesis requires those of us that teach Scripture possess a sound knowledge and consideration of the underlying ancient Biblical languages?

Originally Posted by Ghost: No[/box]
Were you saying no to exegesis or sound knowledge? Were you trying to say the two are not related?

Ghost, do you believe that when one is engaged in a formal theological discussion, such as this one-on-one, that proper exegesis is an essential aspect to make one’s points clear and to illuminate the Scripture being discussed?

Here you appear to be saying that proper exegesis is not required to be able to clearly communicate your meaning. Given that exegesis is defined as:

exegesis: a critical interpretation or explication, especially of biblical and other religious texts.

How do you conclude that a critical understanding of the text is not required to clearly make your point?

ghost

Hall of Fame
CM...

At least you finally admit that you lied when you said...

As clearly stated in AMR's questions, he never asked me what you are accusing me of. That is the point. You twisted and perverted his words and mind to come up with your convoluted statement.

Were you saying no to exegesis or sound knowledge? Were you trying to say the two are not related?
The fact that you are asking me this is proof that you cannot read. The context of "sound knowledge" has to do with the ancient biblical languages, not of the Bible.

Here you appear to be saying that proper exegesis is not required to be able to clearly communicate your meaning.
Again, that is not what he asked. He asked if proper exegesis was essential to make a point clear or to give illumination to Scripture. The answer was and is "no" it is not necessary.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
More heat than light. Instead of interacting with the concepts, it is more self-defense, ad hominem attacks, etc.

It should be about truth, not pride.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
CM...

At least you finally admit that you lied when you said...

As clearly stated in AMR's questions, he never asked me what you are accusing me of. That is the point. You twisted and perverted his words and mind to come up with your convoluted statement.
Still ignoring the part of the original post means you are still guilty of doing what you claim I am doing since I never accused of anything other than being obtuse.

ghost said:
The fact that you are asking me this is proof that you cannot read. The context of "sound knowledge" as to do with the ancient biblical languages, not of the Bible.
Seems as though the two are one in the same given that the Bible is originally written in ancient Biblical languages. As pointed out earlier in this thread, a mis-interpretation of one word when being translated from ancient biblical languages to Olde English lead to several generations of slavery in this country.

ghost said:
Again, that is not what he asked. He asked if proper exegesis was essential to make a point clear or to give illumination to Scripture. The answer was and is "no" it is not necessary.
Again, given the definition of exegesis, how do you conclude that a critical and proper understand of Biblical texts is not required to teach people those same texts?

ghost

Hall of Fame
Perhaps you are better suited to have discussions with Squeaky, Letsargue, or Joey Arnold.

It is waste of my time to try and converse with an idiot like you.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Perhaps you are better suited to have discussions with Squeaky, Letsargue, or Joey Arnold.

It is waste of my time to try and converse with an idiot like you.
{Translation: Once again backed into a corner, Ghost throws up hands and flees the conversation.}

Fair enough. I have better things to do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.