Battle Royale VIII applicants wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Jerry Shugart
But at the same time Jeremy (as well as those who follow the teaching of Bob Enyart) teach that this "infinite" life can come to an end.

In other words,they want it both ways.They say that "eternal" is in reference to "infinite" time in one instance but then they say that this "infinite" time can indeed end and therefore it is not "infinite time" at all.

In His grace,--Jerry
"Infinite life can come to an end"????

What are you talking about?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight, you took the words out of my mouth.

But at the same time Jeremy (as well as those who follow the teaching of Bob Enyart) teach that this "infinite" life can come to an end.
Please show me where Jeremy stated this, and please show me where Bob Enyart taught it.

Jerry Shugart

Originally posted by Turbo
Please show me where Jeremy stated this, and please show me where Bob Enyart taught it.
Turbo,

Here are the words of Jeremy in regard to the "eleven Apostles":

"The point here is, Christ is speaking to the 11 remaining Apostles, not some arbitrary group of people. Christ is warning them to remain faithful, or they will suffer the same fate as Judas."

From the thread on the "General Theolgy" forum titled "Does the 'Parable of the Vine and Branches' Teach Loss of Salvation?"(03-01-2004 06:03AM).

In His grace,--Jerry

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Turbo,

Here are the words of Jeremy in regard to the "eleven Apostles":

"The point here is, Christ is speaking to the 11 remaining Apostles, not some arbitrary group of people. Christ is warning them to remain faithful, or they will suffer the same fate as Judas."

From the thread on the "General Theolgy" forum titled "Does the 'Parable of the Vine and Branches' Teach Loss of Salvation?"(03-01-2004 06:03AM).

In His grace,--Jerry
Jerry I knew you where you were heading with this.

And it sort of boggles my mind the extent of your misunderstanding.

Losing eternal life in regard to salvation means to lose eternal life WITH Christ in heaven. It doesn't mean losing the eternal nature of ones soul no matter what dispensation you are discussing.

Therefore your point about eternity and time and eternal life is entirely baseless.

Jerry Shugart

Originally posted by Knight
Losing eternal life in regard to salvation means to lose eternal life WITH Christ in heaven. It doesn't mean losing the eternal nature of ones soul no matter what dispensation you are discussing.
Knight,

We are not speaking of losing "the eternal nature of one's soul".Instead,the reference is in regard to losing "eternal salvation".

The following words of the Lord Jesus are in regard to "eternal salvation":

"He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting (eternal) life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life"(Jn.5:24).

Here is what Jeremy says about this verse:

"Yes Jerry, the "life" is eternal. God "gives" them eternal life. However, as I've already shown, they were not secure. They could "stop believing" and lose eternal life."

This can be found on "The Attributes of God" forum and on the thread titled "A Challenge for the followers of Bob Enyart"(02-25-2004 04:54 AM).

In His grace,--Jerry

Zakath

Resident Atheist
One hundred five posts and Knight still hasn't managed to get two people for his Battle Royale?

What's this board coming to? :doh:

It wasn't like this back in the old days... :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath

One hundred five posts and Knight still hasn't managed to get two people for his Battle Royale?

Yea... your getting pasted in BR VII has everyone afraid of suffering the same fate.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

Yea... your getting pasted in BR VII has everyone afraid of suffering the same fate.
:D Smackarama!!

Jerry Shugart

Jeremy,

Before you get ready to "whoop it up on" me you better first be able to explain why the word "eternal" does not always mean "eternal".

In His grace,--Jerry

Jerry,

Does "eternal" have a beginning? If so, when is that? If not, then you have serious problems since each believer "receives" eternal life at some starting point, right? Hahahahahaha! Good luck, and let the whooping commence!

--Jeremy

Jerry Shugart

Originally posted by *Acts9_12Out*
Jerry,

Does "eternal" have a beginning?
Jeremy,

I keep waiting to you to reply on the thread where we are discussing this subject.

In answer to your question,all the Greek experts that I can find say that one of the meanings of "eternal" is "without end,never to cease,everlasting"("Thayer's Greek English Lexicon").

You say that an "eternal" life may come to an end,but I have yet to find any Greek expert who says that something "eternal" has an end!
If so, when is that?
Here are the words of the Lord Jesus Himself,and He says that "eternal" life can indeed have a beginning:

"But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life"(Mk.10:30).
If not, then you have serious problems since each believer "receives" eternal life at some starting point, right? Hahahahahaha!
It is you who has problems,and that is because your ideas are in direct conflict with what the meaning assigned to the word "eternal" by the Greek experts as well as what the Lord Jesus Christ revealed.

He says that those who have received "eternal life" shall never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish"(Jn.10:28).

You say that the Jewish believers who received "eternal life" can indeed perish despite the clear words of the Lord Jesus who says that they shall never perish !
Good luck, and let the whooping commence!
I do not need any "good luck" and that is because I have the plain words of the Lord Jesus to support what I am teaching.The Jewish believers already possessed a life in Jesus Christ that John describes as "eternal":

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"(1Jn.5:11).

They have already been given "eternal life",and the Lord Jesus says that those who have been given eternal life shall never perish.

But you say that they can perish!

In His grace,--Jerry

Freak

:chuckle:

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
You know some of the people like Zakath have been up to bat more than once at this battle royale. Why don't you make it more fair and choose some people with brains and who haven't had a chance yet?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Knight,

If no one else can be found to defend the Open View, I would be willing to do so.
I didn't volunteer right away because first of all it seems there ought to someone better qualified than I to do it and secondly because I'm a bit concerned about the amount of time involved. I already spend more time on this computer than my wife would like for me to, so if possible we would have to make sure that I am made to understand very clearly how much time is likely to be involved.

cur_deus_homo

Maybe it's because the proposed issue is SO not an issue to most people, to use teenspeak.

Are we ever going to get over this whole concept of time as something metaphysical that "progresses" as a film does through a projector. Not likely.

If we could only resurrect Newton to debate, say, Steven Weinberg on this issue of the "future being determined." Now that might be interesting.

Who's Steven Weinberg, you ask?

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~weintech/weinberg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.