X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: debating

Originally posted by Knight

Wouldn't you do the same?

After all... perfect exhaustive foreknowledge is by definition perfect... right
    I think you asked add this question but I would like to throw my two cents in, if you don't mind.

Strictly speaking Armenians are closed theist but only because they are afraid to suggest that God doesn't know the future. The Open View seems to me to be a subset of Armenianism in many repsects although I definately do not consider myself an Armenian. I guess the point I'm driving at is that a debate between an Armenian and an Open Theist would not have the scope that it might otherswise have because there are more points of agreement between them than there are points of disagreement.
    sigpic
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Re: Re: Re: debating

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

I think you asked add this question but I would like to throw my two cents in, if you don't mind.

Strictly speaking Armenians are closed theist but only because they are afraid to suggest that God doesn't know the future. The Open View seems to me to be a subset of Armenianism in many repsects although I definately do not consider myself an Armenian. I guess the point I'm driving at is that a debate between an Armenian and an Open Theist would not have the scope that it might otherswise have because there are more points of agreement between them than there are points of disagreement.
      I agree mostly with what you are saying.

The bottom line is Arminians claim an open view but preach a closed view.

I think most Arminians don't realize how much they have in common with Calvinsts.
      Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
      TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

kids today

IYGTTUAS quote -- Ever read Beyond the Bounds?

No, but I have read some of Piper's thoughts on it. Instead of worrying about how he thinks this will affect the church, he should spend more time exegeting.

Knight quote - Wouldn't you do the same?

After all... perfect exhaustive foreknowledge is by definition perfect... right?

Knight, this is where you show your ignorance. Modern Arminians, esp. have no set in stone definition of foreknowledge, as is evident when you read F. Leroy Forline's "The Quest for Truth". And so, my spacetime theory where God manipulates spacetime would still be Arminian.

"perfect exhaustive foreknowledge" if one defines it as "certain foreknowledge" then there is no problem. Even if God was able to see all times at once, he sees the past as past, the present as present, and the future as future. Depending on how he sees all these things, you could argue that he blocks out the past and present from view. Also, God seeing future things is the same as Him seeing Past things. So, his seeing them has no effect on their freedom.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: debating

I agree mostly with what you are saying.

The bottom line is Arminians claim an open view but preach a closed view.

I think most Arminians don't realize how much they have in common with Calvinsts.
          You are definately right! But that's why I think that the debate should be against a Calvinist or a Catholic or something that is more clearly antithetical to the closed view. The distiction is much clearer and a Calvinist would be able to be more consistant in his argumentation.
          sigpic
          "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: debating

You are definately right! But that's why I think that the debate should be against a Calvinist or a Catholic or something that is more clearly antithetical to the closed view. The distiction is much clearer and a Calvinist would be able to be more consistant in his argumentation.
            That's very true.

As evidenced by....
            "perfect exhaustive foreknowledge" if one defines it as "certain foreknowledge" then there is no problem. Even if God was able to see all times at once, he sees the past as past, the present as present, and the future as future. Depending on how he sees all these things, you could argue that he blocks out the past and present from view. Also, God seeing future things is the same as Him seeing Past things. So, his seeing them has no effect on their freedom.

- add yasaf

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: debating

sigpic

Comment

who the

OOOh. error I meant blocking the past and future from view.

Clete quote - The distiction is much clearer and a Calvinist would be able to be more consistant in his argumentation.

Every Arminian has a view of what they think foreknowledge is, so in their own way they would be consistent.

Comment

Re: who the

Originally posted by add yasaf
                  Clete quote - The distiction is much clearer and a Calvinist would be able to be more consistant in his argumentation.

Every Arminian has a view of what they think foreknowledge is, so in their own way they would be consistent.
                  Perhaps, but not as consistant. And the distinctions aren't nearly are profound.
                  sigpic

Comment

Knight,

Based on this...

Lion... POTD
                    I nominate Lion to argue the Open View!

Clete
                    sigpic

Comment

crazy kids

Clete quote - Perhaps, but not as consistant. And the distinctions aren't nearly are profound.

If they are not as consistent, you would have to prove that, not just say it. Listen, if Knight is going to lump us in there, I think it is only fair that if an able person of that ilk is available, they should be given a fair chance. Also since I have read more Calvinist books and am going to the premier Reformed seminary in the world, I could argue from that angle also.

Comment

no way hosea

quote:

Lion... POTD

Clete

Based on my reply...http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...157#post436157
                        and the whole previous discussion with Lion, and the fact that he/she doesn't know Hebrew, I definitely don't nominate Lion!

Comment

Re: no way hosea

quote:

Lion... POTD

Clete

Based on my reply...http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...157#post436157
                          and the whole previous discussion with Lion, and the fact that he/she doesn't know Hebrew, I definitely don't nominate Lion!

I don't know a thing about Hebrew and you nominated me!
                          sigpic

Comment

whoa nelly

Clete quote - I don't know a thing about Hebrew and you nominated me!

I was taking what I thought was the best representative from this site. You are more consistent than Lion overall. I don't believe that there is anyone else here who is an open theist and knows Biblical Hebrew anyways. PLUS, I was referring more to Lion's post, which made it glaringly obvious that he/she doesn't know it. I wasn't sure if you knew Hebrew or not, Clete.

Now if I were to go outside the site here, my pick would be Greg Boyd.

Comment

Re: whoa nelly

Now if I were to go outside the site here, my pick would be Greg Boyd.
                              Me too!
                              sigpic

Comment

Knight,

Based on this...

Clete

Comment

Working...
                                X