Discussion thread for: Battle Royale XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
That doesn't change anything. Whether he did not make abortion illegal by sponsoring a bill or voted to keep it legal, you position is the same: he is culpable of murder because he did not act to end abortion.

So I am exploring this position a bit. If people in a position to prevent pregnancy by providing birth control are guilty of murder if they refuse to do so. And if not, why not? What is the difference?

Birth control doesn't prevent pregnancy.

McCain is a murderer. He advocates murder, pays for it and has vowed to use his power to keep it legal.

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
I'm really excited for NW's next post. They agree with us on when it's immoral to vote for a presidential candidate and were just confused about McCain's position. I'm hoping that now we've provided the proof that McCain advocates child-killing, they will agree with us which would be a far greater victory than anything else!

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
How do you figure that?

GGQ8: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to kill this innocent child?
NWA-GGQ8: Yes.
GGQ9: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to fund the killing of this innocent child?
NWA-GGQ9: Yes.
GGQ10: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to use his power as President to keep it legal to kill this innocent child?
NWA-GGQ10: Yes.

nicholsmom

McCain is a murderer. He advocates murder, pays for it and has vowed to use his power to keep it legal.

I'm just curious (this is way out of the scope of the debate), which is worse: killing a baby (in the womb or out) or denying God access to the womb to create a child (denying existence of any kind whatever to a child that God desires to create)?

Denial of life on Earth vs. denial of life at all

BTW, you may want to ramp down the rhetoric - it's lying on a rather rabid level

nicholsmom

GGQ8: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to kill this innocent child?
GGQ9: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to fund the killing of this innocent child?
GGQ10: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to use his power as President to keep it legal to kill this innocent child?

You honestly think this is a point made? Wow.

Com'on Wanderer - I know you're running a business there, but I can't stand much more of their premature strutting ;)

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
I'm just curious (this is way out of the scope of the debate), which is worse: killing a baby (in the womb or out) or denying God access to the womb to create a child (denying existence of any kind whatever to a child that God desires to create)?

Denial of life on Earth vs. denial of life at all

BTW, you may want to ramp down the rhetoric - it's lying on a rather rabid level

God opened and closed wombs in the Bible, and he also rained down food from heaven. Shopping at the grocery store is not a sin, and neither is contraception. (Contraception prevents conception and birth control prevents birth. BIG difference.) Yes this is off topic and maybe a debate for another time. It's one I've promised to discuss with Jill Stanek, so she's first on the list!

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber

I said,

They agree with us on when it's immoral to vote for a presidential candidate

You said,

How do you figure that?

I said,

You reply with,

I think you're confused. We think it's immoral to vote for a presidential candidate who would kill/fund/keep legal to kill an innocent child. You do too, by your own admission. Therefore...

They agree with us on when it's immoral to vote for a presidential candidate

What am I missing here?

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
Com'on Wanderer - I know you're running a business there, but I can't stand much more of their premature strutting ;)

There is no strutting here. Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. When 2 Christians disagree on an issue of morality and one sees they're mistaken and they can come to agree, that's a beautiful thing. It's way better than getting an audience to say we won some debate and the pride that our flesh wants out of that. We're here to help edify people in their thoughts and actions.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What am I missing here?

You are missing the fact that the Democratic Party platform supports free legal abortions

You are missing the fact that the democrats are blocking the confirmation of conservative judges who could change the view of the court on laws against abortion

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
You are missing the fact that the Democratic Party platform supports free legal abortions

And the Republican party wants you to pay for legal abortions. Is there really much difference?

You are missing the fact that the democrats are blocking the confirmation of conservative judges who could change the view of the court on laws against abortion

And the Republican party hasn't give us ONE Supreme Court justice that believes in the right to life for the unborn. They think the states should decide. Is there really much difference?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And the Republican party wants you to pay for legal abortions. Is there really much difference?

And the Republican party hasn't give us ONE Supreme Court justice that believes in the right to life for the unborn. They think the states should decide. Is there really much difference?

If you can’t see the difference, there is a lot that you are missing

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
If you can’t see the difference, there is a lot that you are missing

Here's chrysostom-
Obama wants to kill kids out of the womb, McCain only wants to kill them in the womb. Vote Republican! :cheers:

Obama wants you to be able to kill your kid for free, McCain wants you to at least pay for it. Vote Republican! :cheers:

Obama wants pro-abortion judges, McCain wants judges who agree with him that the legality of killing children should be decided by each individual state. Vote Republican! :cheers:

Vote Republican and save children! :hammer:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You are missing logic and reason

We do not vote for McCain, we vote republican because they do not block the
confirmation of conservative judges

Can you tell the difference between a conservative judge and a liberal one?

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
You are missing logic and reason

We do not vote for McCain, we vote republican because they do not block the
confirmation of conservative judges

Wow. So first, not voting for McCain is really voting for Obama. Now, voting for McCain is not voting for McCain. I'm all confused!

Can you tell the difference between a conservative judge and a liberal one?

Yes. One letter.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I think you meant to say that birth control is not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy.

GodsfreeWill said:
In the first place, he does not advocate murder. Accusing him of advocating murder is rhetoric used to emotionally charge the issue. He advocates a choice in the same way that a person who does not provide birth control to a sexually active couple advocate the same choice. I do not support abortion. I think it is wrong. What I am arguing against here is the position that an elected offical is cupable of murder for allowing abortion to be legal while a person who could have prevented a pregnancy that resultes in an abortion and didn't is not. It is a double standard that weakens our position.

OchoCinco

Matthew 1:5 - she was admitted into the ancestry of Jesus (the seed-line)

David was also a part of the lineage of Christ, Christ was even referred to as the son of David. Does this mean that God condones adultery and murder?- Of course not.

Hebrews 11:31 - her life was spared; her faith commended

James 2:25 - she was justified (considered righteous)
You will notice that the writer of Hebrews tacked on to the end of the verse "when she had received the spies with peace." It doesn't say when she lied. Rahab was saved because she had faith in the God that rescued Isreal from Egypt. (Joshua 2:10)

If the two spies had gone to anyeone else they would have been executed. Rahab lived as a prostitute in a pegan city, she didn't have the law, she didn't know that adultery was sin, she didn't know that lying was sin. God didn't seem to hold issue with her lying but he also didn't hold issue with any of her past sin, and we see that throughout the Bible including Paul. With the scripture quoted, I see no evidence that lying was condoned.

So I ask again: How do you explain Proverbs 6:16-19? Did Solomon lie?

God hates lying (Proverbs 6:16-19) and God has many times made it clear that lying is sin both in the Old Testament and in the New.(Leviticus 19:11, Ephesians 4:25, Colossians 3:9, Exodus 20:16)

So again I also ask: If McCains lack of a proactive stance against abortion makes it immoral to vote for him, how then is it moral to vote for anyone including Alan Keyes who doesn't make a proactive stance towards criminalizing: lying, sowing discord among others, and those who have a proud look?

WandererInFog

I've generally steered clear of making any substantive posts in this thread because I feel it detracts from the Battle Royale itself. However, misquoting in the manner you are which you are doing here is lying. I'd like to keep this friendly, but when someone directly lies about what I've said you begin to make it difficult to do so. The actual quote from our Round 2 Rebuttal is:

NWA-GGQ8: Yes. But this is simply more emotionally laden rhetoric, as there is no Presidential candidate involved in this election who has expressed a desire to kill children.
NWA-GGQ9: Yes. Have you read John McCain's stance upon the issue of abortion? He agrees with us.
NWA-GGQ10: Yes. Again, this is not John McCain's position. He has pledged to do his part to end abortion - he will nominate constructionist judges who, by definition, would never overturn a personhood amendment, national or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.