New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarnestBorg9

Aimiel said:
Well the things which Oral Roberts University and Oral Roberts' Ministries has achieved far outweigh petty grievances anyone might have with someone who is human; even though when someone says they're Christian, many (including many professing Christians) think that means perfect in every way.
I don't think that Christian = Perfect; but can you think of any way that it would be appropiate for a believer to say that God was going to kill him if he didn't pony up?
If he apologized (repented) that would be one thing; but he has not.

Lovejoy

EarnestBorg9 said:
Out of curiosity, how can a perfect being be jealous? What is there to be jealous of? Also, how can a perfect being be angry? Anger is the loss of control and an attempt to regain control of your emotions. Is God so limited that he is prone to anger?
Ghandi, who was far from perfect lived his life without anger and violence and he was a mere man; isn't that a better example than 'getting mad'?
I agree with Aimiel here for sure:

God isn't a stranger to feelings, despite all the rumors to the contrary. He is jealous of us 'whoring' around, worshipping false gods that don't even exist. His desire is for us. He desires that we should prosper and be in health. Not listening to Him isn't healthy or prosperous. He is capable of blessing and bringing men into relationship with Himself. He offers this to everyone living. Many refuse Him. It has to be frustrating, even though God is Holy. He cares more about us than we understand. He cares more about us than we do about ourselves.

As well, it is good to remember that most of our emotions have a root in something that is perfectly holy. Our use of them is just wrong. We can, in fact, be jealous when someting that is actually ours is given, without our consent, to someone else. However, what is actually ours to be jealous of? Check 1tim6:7 and Lev25:23 and you will begin to see that we don't own much. One of the very few things that I feel are actually ours, and that we can be jealous of, is the love of our spouse (in the sense of sexual love, that which is reserved for marriage) when it is being offered to another. That is, in fact, the analogy most often used to describe God's jealousy.

EarnestBorg9

Lovejoy said:
One of the very few things that I feel are actually ours, and that we can be jealous of, is the love of our spouse (in the sense of sexual love, that which is reserved for marriage) when it is being offered to another. That is, in fact, the analogy most often used to describe God's jealousy.

But if my spouse decides to get it from someone else, I will not lay to waste her family, friends or her! But in the OT, God is portrayed as the biggest mass murder in history!
I see you point though.

Aimiel

I think Oral Roberts simply misinterpreted the portions of possible outcomes he was allowed to see. I would hate to have seen his life go by not having built such a fine institution as the City of Faith. The world's first MRI machine was installed there, because Oral believes that the cure for cancer will be discovered there. They have a large part of thier university devoted to medical research, and desire for the hands of medicine and prayer to be joined, instead of opposed. I believe The Lord does as well.

Aimiel

EarnestBorg9 said:
I don't think that Christian = Perfect; but can you think of any way that it would be appropiate for a believer to say that God was going to kill him if he didn't pony up?
If he apologized (repented) that would be one thing; but he has not.
I could not offer you a better suggestion than in my previous post (misinterpretation of prophetic vision or revelation). I've done the same, and been very glad that my ministry hasn't yet reached TV (I pray it never does, but God's Will should be done in my life, not mine). But, I remember hearing this on TV, thinking, "Does this clown realize that he's calling God a blackmailer?" I don't regret any of the money I've sent Oral (more than a few dollars); and still use his study Bible, which was from a $200.00 donation. I trust that God is more than capable of chastening His Children, and merely attempt to help those whom He lays upon my heart.

EarnestBorg9

Aimiel said:
I could not offer you a better suggestion than in my previous post (misinterpretation of prophetic vision or revelation). I've done the same, and been very glad that my ministry hasn't yet reached TV (I pray it never does, but God's Will should be done in my life, not mine). But, I remember hearing this on TV, thinking, "Does this clown realize that he's calling God a blackmailer?" I don't regret any of the money I've sent Oral (more than a few dollars); and still use his study Bible, which was from a $200.00 donation. I trust that God is more than capable of chastening His Children, and merely attempt to help those whom He lays upon my heart.

Even after hearing him (an ex of mine attended ORU), it in no way affected my faith at the time, but it hurt knowing that the media (there's that word again) portrayed the truth and God's name was once again sullied.

Added by edit:
GREEN LANTERN! I love the story of Hal Jordan (talk about a story of redemption!), but Kyle will do (although the avatar could be Hal....hard to tell with out his graying temples)

Status
Not open for further replies.