Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You left out the part about the OP being a flabbergasted teardown of Knight. She never said she was having issues until far, far into this thread.

She's obviously going through some things and struggling. Savaging the woman may satisfy a few of the resident ghouls, and it's a predictable response, but anna's classic mistake is seeking out support, a sounding board, and advice in her time of need. Her faith's wavering, and it's painful. Naturally, when confronted by what she (rightly) saw as a blase attitude, she was slapped back with more of the indifference I talked about earlier.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I do find it ironic (but not at all surprising) that he, of all people, was the only one who offered any sort of understanding.
He offered her what she wants to hear. Likewise she is saying the things that a guy like Granite and you want to hear.

I am not offering her what she wants to hear because I don't agree with her premise that....

1. Zoo lost his faith because of TOL
2. I should act in the way she wants me to act towards Zoo

Granite

Hall of Fame
He offered her what she wants to hear. Likewise she is saying the things that a guy like Granite and you want to hear.

I am not offering her what she wants to hear because I don't agree with her premise that....

I recognize what she's going through, and it's an experience I don't wish on anyone. If you think there's anything else beyond commiseration at work here you simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Quetzal

Right, but you could be a decent person and pretend you have an ounce of empathy instead of continuing your tough guy persona while you high five your bros at the water cooler. :rolleyes:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I find in interesting that when a user says he loses his faith that he turns belligerent or whiny. It seems to me they are the ones doing the trolling.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
She's obviously going through some things and struggling. Savaging the woman may satisfy a few of the resident ghouls, and it's a predictable response, but anna's classic mistake is seeking out support, a sounding board, and advice in her time of need. Her faith's wavering, and it's painful. Naturally, when confronted by what she (rightly) saw as a blase attitude, she was slapped back with more of the indifference I talked about earlier.
Clearly this is a war on women. :chuckle:

Anna isn't struggling with faith. She is instead struggling with the false religion of Catholicism.

She could repent and turn to Jesus today if she wanted to.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Right, but you could be a decent person and pretend you have an ounce of empathy instead of continuing your tough guy persona while you high five your bros at the water cooler. :rolleyes:
So you want me to fake empathy???? :rotfl:

Would being disingenuous would make me a better person??

Why don't you tell her she should fake get along with me?? :idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame
She should be thankful you are here, since you know her better than she knows herself. What a joke.

Yes indeed.

I've said my bit and PM'd her. As for the thread, I'm outta here. It's not gonna tell me anything I don't already know.

bybee

I am seeing an awful lot of cruelty in the words of my Christian Brothers and Sisters. Do harsh responses help?
I have been harsh whenever I didn't care about the person to whom I was responding.
I care very much about 95% of the posters on TOL.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Clearly this is a war on women. :chuckle:

Anna isn't struggling with faith. She is instead struggling with the false religion of Catholicism.

She could repent and turn to Jesus today if she wanted to.

You nailed that on the head. Catholicism is nonsense. It is a maze of garbage.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Asking you not to rep me isn't shunning you. Anything about rep is for another thread, not this one.
Anna,
Excluding someone from participation is within the very definition of shunning.

And my question is not about rep, it's about shunning one from participation.
How was that a model of Christian behavior?
Do you think it was a model of lifting up a sister in Christ?
Do you think you did not hurt my feelings?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You nailed that on the head. Catholicism is nonsense. It is a maze of garbage.

Catholics carry a lot of guilt and shame, it seems to be ingrained as a baseline for the denomination. Always feeling unworthy and needing to tell a priest in a box. I know because I was catholic

PureX

This thread really sums this place up nicely. A user who has been here for awhile appears to be having a faith-based crisis. This appears to be a tough time for her and the only words of encouragement that I have seen on this entire thread came from Granite. One person. She is having a tough time and all that has come of it is admins and trolls alike calling her names and saying her faith doesn't matter. Shame on you.
I don't believe anyone's faith is in crisis, here. Just the opposite. I think some people come here and see how weak and helpless all this self-righteous religiosity really is, and their understanding of faith is suddenly forced beyond it. I'm sure it's disconcerting to look in the 'rearview mirror' and see that traditional dogma that one has believed in all their life receding into the hardened dark little nut that it always was, but the view ahead will be far more kind, expansive, and bright, once the eyes clear and adjust to the light of a new day.

The truth be told, most intelligent human beings need to lose their faith to ever really find it. I've got no worries about any of the several folks over the years I've seen come on TOL with a "crisis of faith". Because all they were losing was something they had long outgrown, anyway. And I know that will free them up to find a much more expansive and effective kind of faith, if they want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.