Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledvwlch

So I get it, I used to believe that faith couldn't be lost, but then I lost it. So it can be a little insulting when somebody tells me (and it's happened, and I'm sure not just to me) that I was never a believer.

It sure felt like belief.

But on the other hand, I don't consider a loss of faith to be a bad thing, so I wouldn't have laid any responsibility on any actions by Christians I knew ten or eleven years ago.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm asking the members.

Would it bother you if your actions or words were a factor in someone losing his faith?

If the actions or words of members of your faith community were a factor in someone losing his faith?

No. My words and/or actions can't be the root cause of a loss of faith. I just don't see how it's even an option. Everything is a factor.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No. My words and/or actions can't be the root cause of a loss of faith. I just don't see how it's even an option. Everything is a factor.

Does Matt: 18:6 mean anything to any Christian here?

If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

bybee

That's the point of this thread, Desert Reign. He clearly doesn't care.

I'm not relating it specifically to the existence of the forum or his ownership of it.

Leadership, yes.

Example, yes.

Christian witness on both an individual and a community level, yes.

I'm asking the members.

Would it bother you if your actions or words were a factor in someone losing his faith?

If the actions or words of members of your faith community were a factor in someone losing his faith?

I am respectful of the faith walk of others here and everywhere. People come here for a variety of reasons and stay for a variety of reasons.
The words of my mouth are intended for comfort, instruction or praise. Sometimes they are to express scorn for posts that strike me as worthy of scorn. Occasionally I am outraged and express my outrage vehemently!
I do not feel responsible for the reaction of others to my words unless they tell me how they were affected by them for good or ill.
If I am shown to be wrong I apologize.
Years ago there was a poster who went into orbit over something I said and this person never really forgave me for it. Yet, I would have said it again because I believed it to be so.
I have been both praised and reviled here. If I begin to wonder about how every single other poster is going to receive my words I will no longer be able to post at all.
I hope that I am helpful. If someone told me that I had caused him/her to lose faith I would be heartbroken but I would not feel guilty because my intent is to build the faith. The response of others dwells within their own thought processes.
I must respect that.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I think he does...what are you going to do on a forum to show you care? zoo has a platform where he can express himself freely, that's worth something.

Tots, he said he didn't care. I don't see a way to explain his own words in any other light.

And no, anyone who doesn't share the forum bias certainly cannot express himself or herself freely. The frequently banned can attest to that, although I think they all pretty much agree that they understand that and take it as a cost of posting here. So that's not a "whine," just stating a fact.

But back to the not caring.

I think Christians should care, if they believe at all in the scriptures they post.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am telling you that for the first time in my life if there is no one on any ticket that I even remotely approve of I am going to put my own name on the ballot as a write in!

shirley, you can't be serious

Selaphiel

I have to admit that many of the opinions communicated on this forum are quite repulsive to me. They are forms of Christianity I do not relate to at all, and to be honest those forms of Christianity are still relatively rare where I am from. It is a form of Christianity I simply call "Biblicism". Common sense (in a negative sense) reading of the Bible with no regards to hermeneutics, theological history, creeds, tradition or systematic theology that seeks to interpret Christianity in concordance with a realistic portrayal of the world as we know it through other disciplines.

I should probably post my opinion and argue against it more often, but sadly I do not have the time for it. I try not to enter discussions here unless I have time to properly engage with it. I spend most of my time here doing user to user communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.