Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Bible calls it shaking the dust off your feet after someone refuses to listen to you.

I'm familiar with the dusting off bit, but that was used when witnessing to those who hadn't heard the gospel, not in reference to people who left the faith. That I recall it wasn't used as a convenient way to excuse yourself for doing damage to another person.

I guess it still works. So does washing your hands of guilt.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... to ratchet up the animosity until someone gets hurt.

Spoiler
08a7151d1fc8e0a8df618bfb8d3de200.jpg

Jamie Gigliotti

If one is convicted that OSAS is the truth then they can not at the same time believe it's possible to lose faith, thus really making the question invalid to Knight in the first place. Of course there is no concern for losing something one never had. That theology does tend to lead to a callousness.
Words and actions really don't matter all that much.

Everyone is undoubtedly responsible for their own actions, which includes words.
I trust what Jesus said to be true. He said His disciples are known by their love. And this regarding words.
"...for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. ... I tell you, on the day of judgement people will give account of every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:33-34, 35-36

Words have consequences in this life and the next, and they come from who we are, who is inside of our heart.

If a man on the edge of a cliff hears us say jump, He may. He will be accountable for jumping, we will be accountable for encouraging. Or we can tell him of the Great love we have found and He may come down.

"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Would you be able to speak about the things that have caused you to question your faith?
Would you be able to listen to the responses you would get about those things?

If I spoke about them, I'd be blasted into oblivion by a fair number of so-called Christians. Some who'd say I was never Christian to begin with, others who wouldn't miss an opportunity to get their digs in no matter what the topic is - a couple showed up on this thread to do just that. Stripe and sod, both protected by Knight.

I've talked to several Christians here privately. I trust them.

The fact is that yes, I'm losing my faith. And from most people here I'd expect only mockery and insults, there are plenty of examples right here in the thread. Yes, this forum has been a damaging place for me when it comes to faith. There are people here that I care about very much, and it has nothing to do with my relationships with them and everything to do with the corporate Christian message here, from top to bottom.

And while you and I've had our go-rounds here many times, I do appreciate that you actually addressed the issue.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If I spoke about them, I'd be blasted into oblivion by a fair number of so-called Christians. Some who'd say I was never Christian to begin with, others who wouldn't miss an opportunity to get their digs in no matter what the topic is - a couple showed up on this thread to do just that. Stripe and sod, both protected by Knight.

The fact is that yes, I'm losing my faith. And from most people here I'd expect only mockery and insults, there are plenty of examples right here in the thread. Yes, this forum has been a damaging place for me when it comes to faith. There are people here that I care about very much, and it has nothing to do with my relationships with them and everything to do with the corporate Christian message here, from top to bottom.

And while you and I've had our go-rounds here many times, I do appreciate that you actually addressed the issue.

I went through that and it's zero fun to get savaged in the middle of that process.

Hang in there.

Quetzal

I appreciate your posts and your perspective. Don't be afraid to reach out if you need an ear to vent or whatever. :cheers:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Given that you think salvation is predicated on not calling people names — as a bare minimum among the rules you've invented — it's not surprising that your religion is failing you, as you are among the worst for maligning people.

You do have the gift of projection, I have to say I'm always impressed by it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Lol.... Nobody... and I mean nobody has been banned more than Koban.

And yet you keep letting him come back. To do more damage.

With different names, so his infractions don't pile up.

Also, it's interesting you pulled out that one little bit of my post, and ignored the rest:

Status
Not open for further replies.