Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzal

I think something worth considering is how accurately the actions of the members here who align themselves as Christian, reflect Christian values as a whole. In other words, if you were to take this website and it's Christian inhabitants, and look at it in a vacuum and ask yourself "Is this really what Christianity is all about?" would that answer be consistent with the message Jesus was sent here to proclaim.

Based on my experiences with other Christian traditions and cohorts, they would say "absolutely not". To be honest, the comments made by some members here are down right terrifying because they are made with conviction and genuine belief that what is being posted is correct. If someone were to waddle onto this forum and base their entire understanding of Christianity on the posts made by Christian members on this forum, I feel like they would miss the message entirely. That is the real shame, at least from my perspective.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I wonder
if
anna holds knight responsible for town leaving

chrys, this thread isn't about the Republican party, about whether I'm a liberal, and it isn't about TH. I know that doesn't leave you with a whole lot else to think about, but would you humor me, and talk about something else, like, oh, I know: Do you care if someone loses his faith?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I wonder
if
anna holds knight responsible for town leaving

if i'm reading this right, anna is holding knight responsible for maintaining a site frequented by foul examples of "Christianity" who are directly responsible for causing zoo to lose his faith, because she's butthurt over town leaving and wants to keep the drama flowing

because, after all, zoo was forced to come here and become a member and listen to all those horrible "Christians"

:think: and apparently ignore the real Christians like anna and town

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I think something worth considering is how accurately the actions of the members here who align themselves as Christian, reflect Christian values as a whole. In other words, if you were to take this website and it's Christian inhabitants, and look at it in a vacuum and ask yourself "Is this really what Christianity is all about?" would that answer be consistent with the message Jesus as sent here to proclaim.

Based on my experiences with other Christian traditions and cohorts they would say "absolutely not". To be honest, the comments made by some members here are down right terrifying because they are made with conviction and genuine belief that what is being posted is correct. If someone were to waddle onto this forum and base their entire understanding of Christianity on the posts made by Christian members on this forum, I feel like they would miss the message entirely. That is the real shame, at least from my perspective.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have to admit that many of the opinions communicated on this forum are quite repulsive to me. They are forms of Christianity I do not relate to at all, and to be honest those forms of Christianity are still relatively rare where I am from. It is a form of Christianity I simply call "Biblicism". Common sense (in a negative sense) reading of the Bible with no regards to hermeneutics, theological history, creeds, tradition or systematic theology that seeks to interpret Christianity in concordance with a realistic portrayal of the world as we know it through other disciplines.

I should probably post my opinion and argue against it more often, but sadly I do not have the time for it. I try not to enter discussions here unless I have time to properly engage with it. I spend most of my time here doing user to user communication.

I've told you before, and I'll say it again... the forum is a better place when you're posting, and I appreciate you, and I understand why you're not able to post more frequently.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
chrys, this thread isn't about the Republican party, about whether I'm a liberal, and it isn't about TH. I know that doesn't leave you with a whole lot else to think about, but would you humor me, and talk about something else, like, oh, I know: Do you care if someone loses his faith?

I have brothers and sisters who have lost their faith
and
I wonder what I am supposed to do about it
I have put plenty of thought into this
for a good number of years
guess what?
it is not my fault
it is not my parent's fault
it is their doing
but
I must love them just the same

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
and
guess what?
it is not my fault
it is their doing
but

Thank you. This is the chrys I know is there, and whom I care about.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
and
guess what?
it is not my fault
it is their doing
but

Christ will gather in His own

bybee

and
guess what?
it is not my fault
it is their doing
but

Yup!

Mocking You

annabenedetti said:
Does it bother you if even one person loses his faith because of your forum?

Knight said:

annabenedetti said:
This attitude is astounding to me. Does it reflect your views as a Christian as well? If I could post a poll, I would. I'm interested in what other Christians have to say, and why.

It's an important topic to me, and your answers are important to me.

I gotta ask--what kind of "faith" are people losing that you are asking Knight about?

You see, if Knight believes in OSAS (and I think he does) then true believers cannot "lose their faith". That means from Knight's viewpoint other people "losing their faith" in whatever extra-Biblical, man-made doctrine is a good thing, doubly so if they come to believe in Jesus, and Jesus alone, for their salvation (which comes by grace through faith.)

So from where I'm sitting Knight could have said "losing one's faith" was a good thing instead of merely saying it didn't bother him. He might have been diplomatic. But of course to you it sounds heartless.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I gotta ask--what kind of "faith" are people losing that you are asking Knight about?

Belief in God.

You see, if Knight believes in OSAS (and I think he does) then true believers cannot "lose their faith". That means from Knight's viewpoint other people "losing their faith" in whatever extra-Biblical, man-made doctrine is a good thing, doubly so if they come to believe in Jesus, and Jesus alone, for their salvation (which comes by grace through faith.)

So from where I'm sitting Knight could have said "losing one's faith" was a good thing instead of merely saying it didn't bother him. He might have been diplomatic. But of course to you it sounds heartless.
Yes, it does sound heartless. It sounds unChristian.

He does believe in OSAS, but many Christians don't. For them, a loss of belief in God is by definition, eternally fatal. But Knight relies on the no true Scotsman fallacy by saying that if they lose faith, either they're still saved, or they weren't really a Christian anyway.

His indifference to their fate (if they're saved), in that context, is more understandable. But if they weren't really a Christian by his definition, then his attitude is callous and unChristian.

Quetzal

Yes, it does sound heartless. It sounds unChristian.
My perspective agrees as well. Part of the Christian tradition that I found appealing in years past was the accepting and positive nature surrounding their belief system. That is not reflected here, at all.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As I told Anna in the other thread.....

TOL is no different than the water cooler at the office. It's a place for people to talk. If someone loses their faith after talking with a fellow employee at the office water cooler I doubt the Deep Rock guy feels guilty about it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the problem with anna's question is that it is a compound one
and
because of that
anna doesn't know
if
knight cares if someone loses their faith

all she knows
is
that knight doesn't care if someone loses their faith because of the forum

a valid distinction