Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
When someone is raised to believe that the heart of Christianity is love and forgiveness, kindness and generosity, or thereabouts, and then they come here to find that the most religious Christian zealots here are in fact a sickening and grotesque core of egocentric, self-righteous, idolatrous, authoritarians, who puff themselves up at the expense of anyone who dares to deny their pretense of divine authority. It's quite disconcerting, I'm sure. And it would be only natural for such a person to react by asking what the heck is going on here!?!?

Which is what I think this thread is really doing.

I am not personally in that position, as I have long ago faced the ugly reality of religious Christian behavior, and made a kind of general peace with it (though I will likely never join any organized Christian religious group, as long as I live).

You can try to apologize for it if you want, I don't care, because I know better. But your childish attempt at 'turning the table' on anna wasn't going to sail by me without comment.

Thank you.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When someone is raised to believe that the heart of Christianity is love and forgiveness, kindness and generosity, or thereabouts, and then they come here to find that the most religious Christian zealots here are in fact a sickening and grotesque core of egocentric, self-righteous, idolatrous, authoritarians, who puff themselves up at the expense of anyone who dares to deny their pretense of divine authority. It's quite disconcerting, I'm sure. And it would be only natural for such a person to react by asking what the heck is going on here!?!?

Which is what I think this thread is really doing.

I am not personally in that position, as I have long ago faced the ugly reality of religious Christian behavior, and made a kind of general peace with it (though I will likely never join any organized Christian religious group, as long as I live).

You can try to apologize for it if you want, I don't care, because I know better. But your childish attempt at 'turning the table' on anna wasn't going to sail by me without comment.

you would know that tol does not represent christianity
if
you had any experience with christians outside of tol

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Yeah, well, there it is. 40-plus posts in this thread, and that's his best offering.

What a "Christian" witness.

I think, Anna, there are many concepts you have less than the clarity of mind needed to make valid conclusions based on assumptions made about other members, or persons in general.

Knight jeeps the forum working, and this is his one of his side interests. He is not using the forum to be a missionary.

I like you. It does seem you may assume less than desirable about me, although this, I believe, is mainly die to your less than full understanding. I would gladly explain to you.

I do see Ok, who is less so, and posting, your reacting to him seems to indicate how you lack the discriminatory ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I think, Anna, there are many concepts you have less than the clarity of mind needed to make valid conclusions based on assumptions made about other members. or persons in general.

Knight jeeps the forum working, and this is his one of his side interests. He is not using a forum to be a missionary.

I like you. It does seem you may assume less than desirable about me, although this, I believe, is mainly die to your less than full understanding. I would gladly explain to you.

I do see Ok, who is less so, and posting, your reacting to him seems to indicate how you lack the discriminatory ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I like you, Kat. Always have, even when I don't agree with you, and I know there are things we've disagreed about in the recent past.

I have to go, I just looked at the time. Sorry to cut this short, I had more to say.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like you, Kat. Always have, even when I don't agree with you, and I know there are things we've disagreed about in the recent past.

I have to go, I just looked at the time. Sorry to cut this short, I had more to say.

Yet you do not really know what you disagree with me, or why?

I would rather see you work this problem out and that may not happen in one thread.

PureX

you would know that tol does not represent christianity
if
you had any experience with christians outside of tol
I do know that. In fact, I know that very few self-professes Christians actually represent Christ.

And that includes myself.

As a human being, I spent far too much of my time and energy concerned about myself, and about my own ideas of things. And far to little time and energy supporting the well-being of others.

But I also know I am not alone in this.

And I also know that until any supposed Christian realizes and accepts the appalling degree to which he/she is a selfish, ignorant, twit, the vast majority of the time, they have not yet even reached step one on the Christian walk-of-life. And that blinding immaturity describes a good many of the loudest religious zealots, here. Which tells me that organized Christianity isn't doing Christ or anyone else any favors, these days. And neither is the Bible idolatry that so many of you are so pathologically engaged in.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've got 15 minutes before I have to leave for an appt.

No, you're wrong again. First you inserted (for me) "Knight" into your quote of my OP, totally changing the intent of my sentence, so I had to correct that.

Now, you've stated (for me) my "unstated purpose." That's convenient for you, isn't it? But again, you're incorrect.

If you'd like to address the OP, feel free to do so. That's my motivation.
The OP title is plain enough:
Conversation with Knight about losing faith

You took pains to link to his comments and the intent was clear.

This thread is but a continuation of your observation:

...I'll say this as clearly as I know how. My faith has been damaged by observing and/or experiencing the actions of a number of Christians on this site who are fully within the body.

Now in this thread you note:
Complete conversation contained in this post.

This attitude is astounding to me. Does it reflect your views as a Christian as well? If I could post a poll, I would. I'm interested in what other Christians have to say, and why.

Is it not your intent to use the example of Knight to draw conclusions that (1) either he is wrong-headed or (2) you suspect other views are possible? No matter how you couch the OP the conclusions you hope to draw involve at least Knight is wrong or Knight is correct.

How am I not addressing the OP?

As to the specific title of your OP, it is my firm conviction from the whole counsel of Scripture that one does not lose their faith, for if they did, they never possessed faith in the first place. Further it has been my view all along that if one is looking to others for the well-being and not the damaging of their faith, then perhaps they should be focusing their attention elsewhere.

Now you can caution in the OP that the topic is not about your "Other" views, but you do not get the privilege of basically calling out persons who behave not according to your "Other" standards, and not expect to be questioned about your standards.

AMR

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As a human being, I spent far too much of my time and energy concerned about myself, and about my own ideas of things. And far to little time and energy supporting the well-being of others.

I like this. :) Most of is have spent too much time on things of less value than our spiritual lives.

bybee

Thank you for believing me. I know it's my responsibility.

Sometimes it helps to take yourself back to a time, likely in childhood, when your faith was unquestioned. You loved your Savior and believed he loved you. Back to simple foundation beliefs.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't base my faith on the behavior of others and what they do.
I base my faith on Christ and what He does.

Well said, did that other person save them or did Christ? No one will be able to stand before God and say " Well joe blow made me lose faith in you God, thats my excuse" .

I imagine God saying in response " Why were you looking to Joe blow instead of looking to Me? He needed a Savior the same as you"

Status
Not open for further replies.