Where are the TruthSmackers in Fighting the Enemy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Originally Posted by Justin (Wiccan)

Hear me now, all you so-called "Christians" who rejoice that your scriptures promise hell for "sinners." NOT ONE OF YOU SERVES A LIVING GOD! I defy your false and spurious worship of the Law in Jesus' name.

You are a brood of vipers, as were your fathers the Pharisees. You take no part in Jesus Christ, and you falsely call Him "Lord" while submitting yourselves to the idols of Pride, Self-Righteousness, and Hatred.

I have no fear of your Jesus Christ, because none of you worship Him anymore.

Justin

Where are the Christians who will defend the Lord Jesus?

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
So, you're admitting you are not one of them?

I belong to Jesus and have been telling him to repent of his witchcraft or find himself in hell when he dies. You?

Lovejoy

He is so obviously goading Christians with his complete lack of reverence, that I had absolutely no interest in giving him the satisfaction. It is the hope of people like him that we will answer the call, screaming for blood and slavering at the jaws, while he laughs at his new found power over our emotional responses. I am a grown up, and have a grown up faith, and people like Justin are young people, children, who are exercising their voices and authority. I don't choose to be a part of his little efforts at Christian teasing. I mean, do you really think that was an assault on Christ? Was Jesus stunned by the power of it, or in the least ways shocked? Or was it an assault on Christians, an effort to push our buttons? The Jesus I know (particularly the Son of Man visions in Daniel and Revelation) does not need my defense, and Christians really do not need to participate in the games child wiccans play. I decline.

Freak

Lovejoy said:
He is so obviously goading Christians with his complete lack of reverence, that I had absolutely no interest in giving him the satisfaction. It is the hope of people like him that we will answer the call, screaming for blood and slavering at the jaws, while he laughs at his new found power over our emotional responses. I am a grown up, and have a grown up faith, and people like Justin are young people, children, who are exercising their voices and authority. I don't choose to be a part of his little efforts at Christian teasing. I mean, do you really think that was an assault on Christ? Was Jesus stunned by the power of it, or in the least ways shocked? Or was it an assault on Christians, an effort to push our buttons? The Jesus I know (particularly the Son of Man visions in Daniel and Revelation) does not need my defense, and Christians really do not need to participate in the games child wiccans play. I decline.
So let him blaspheme or do we warn him of his impending doom in hell?

Lovejoy

Freak said:
Warn, absolutely! Give him every benefit of the doubt, and assume that he truly does not know better. However, by the time he gets to being like he is (charming and educated to sway opinion, and utterly without interest in hearing the Gospel) we can't be sucked into the vortex of the game that he plays. And certainly not on his terms.

Emo

Freak said:

If he keeps it up, he'll of course, go to hell. :e4e:

He has been told by numerous folks that he's nuts.

Thanks for the concern anyway Freak.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
I think Freak raises a good point. Sometimes you get numb to all the hell-bound souls that wander into TOL.

I am glad Freak reminded me that although TOL is a place for entertainment and fellowship its main goal is to preach the gospel.

Thanks Freak. :up:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lovejoy said:
Warn, absolutely! Give him every benefit of the doubt, and assume that he truly does not know better. However, by the time he gets to being like he is (charming and educated to sway opinion, and utterly without interest in hearing the Gospel) we can't be sucked into the vortex of the game that he plays. And certainly not on his terms.

:up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lovejoy said:
A good point as well.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Who's to defend the Lord Jesus the Christ? See my avatar, read Revelation quote, and you have my answer.

Now, if anyone thinks that any Christian must jump up and engage in apologetic bantering anytime and everytime some ignorant dolt (i.e., :troll: ) decides to yank the chain, think again.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Frank Ernest said:
Who's to defend the Lord Jesus the Christ? See my avatar, read Revelation quote, and you have my answer.
Frankie, I didn't think I'd ever post this on one of your posts, but this part is "Well said." :thumb:

(I checked with Gerald and, yes, the thermostat for the lake of fire is broken again...) ;)

Jay Bartlett said:
Jay,

Assuming that an omnipotent entity would need someone like Jay Bartlett, or any other finite being, to defend him sounds like the presumed defender is full of their own self-importance.

:rolleyes:

In other words, if what you claim about your deity is true, then your alleged creator of the universe doesn't need your help, Jay. Some people might, but your deity certainly doesn't.

beanieboy

Frank Ernest said:
Now, if anyone thinks that any Christian must jump up and engage in apologetic bantering anytime and everytime some ignorant dolt (i.e., :troll: ) decides to yank the chain, think again.

Isn't that what "Truthsmacking" is?

Litte Debbie goes to school, goes up to Jenny, and says, "You're a skank! Well, y'are! Y'ARE! You need to repent before you go to hell!!!" Then she walks up to Steve and says, "You are a fornicator! You make me vomit! You need to repent before you go to hell!!!" Then she walks up to Rachel and says, "You're a Jew! You need to stop rejecting Jesus, before you go to hell!!!" Then she sees a Muslim girl crying. Her mother has died. Debbie says, "well, your mom is being tortured in hell for rejecting Jesus Christ, and worshipping a false God. Mohammed isn't going to help her now, I tell you what! But it's not too late for you!"

Then she goes home and thinks she's done the work of God.

The truth is, all little Debbie can do is bring fear and shame. Is that what Christianity is about? Is that the Good News? That we are all disgusting piles of filth, and that only Jesus can mask that from God?

The world is full of people that will call you a loser, a waste of space, that you have no reason to live, a pile of filth, simply because it's fun to be cruel, and sometimes, the wolves just put on sheeps clothing and continue to be cruel.

Justin was calling people on something, and they were offended, just like the Pharisees were offended at what Jesus said, Didn't Jesus know that they were the heads of the temple???? They were the teachers and studiers of the law!!! They were better than the other people!!!!

Fear and Shame. "Good News"?

Aimiel

Well, to us The Word of God is life. Not because we were good (or are good now, for that matter; since we are not yet perfect, only forgiven) but we were sinners, before we got saved. The sinner who hears and repents gains eternal life from The Word of God. The one who rejects truth gets shame and a blot. You have reason to be afraid of God, and of judgement. Continue to live in fear, if that is your desire. God offers hope, He offers salvation, while you live. It will not always be so. He will offer free redemption to you while you draw breath. After that, it will be too late to repent and recant your words. God knows where to draw the line. He knows when your heart will stop. He knows how to get His Truth across to you. There will not stand one single soul before Him saying, "I didn't get a chance," because He offers salvation to all.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
beanieboy said:
...Fear and Shame. "Good News"?
In my experience, the "good news" seems to be the fact that the speaker is exempted from the alleged penalties of sin, not that anyone they dislike happens to be eligible... it's similiar to why "Good Friday" is good...

Chileice

Zakath said:
In my experience, the "good news" seems to be the fact that the speaker is exempted from the alleged penalties of sin, not that anyone they dislike happens to be eligible... it's similiar to why "Good Friday" is good...

I think Paul had some great advice for Timothy that too few of us heed... myself included. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the self-importance of our own words. Yes, we need to take our faith seriously, but this "truth-smacker" garbage is the opposite of wahat seems to be taught in the New Testament. It is like flailing around with a machete in both hands while having a log in both eyes... pretty dangerous stuff.

If we spent more time worrying whether we were unashamed workmen rather than whether the other guy had anything to be ashamed about, those very same people would be more likely to listen since actions really do speak louder than words.

A Workman Approved by God
14Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 16Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17Their teaching will spread like gangrene.

It is clear that we should contend for the faith but wasting inordinate amounts of time and breath on people who really don't care (Hey Justin said he went to a Christian College) is a waste of time. He has made a decision that I believe he will one day regret, but "smacking" him is extremely unlikely to bring him back to the Lord, wouldn't you agree, Zak? By the way, I keep praying for that unequivical evidence you are looking for. Don't forget to keep the eyes of your heart open. Who knows maybe 05-05-05 will be the day! But if not tomorrow... some day. Just let us know when it happens.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Chileice said:
I think Paul had some great advice for Timothy that too few of us heed... myself included. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the self-importance of our own words. Yes, we need to take our faith seriously, but this "truth-smacker" garbage is the opposite of wahat seems to be taught in the New Testament. It is like flailing around with a machete in both hands while having a log in both eyes... pretty dangerous stuff.

If we spent more time worrying whether we were unashamed workmen rather than whether the other guy had anything to be ashamed about, those very same people would be more likely to listen since actions really do speak louder than words.
It's been said by some old wise Christians of my acquaintance that if more people lived their religion instead of just talking about it, it would be much easier to convert the lost. I think you're onto something here... ;)
It is clear that we should contend for the faith but wasting inordinate amounts of time and breath on people who really don't care (Hey Justin said he went to a Christian College) is a waste of time. He has made a decision that I believe he will one day regret, but "smacking" him is extremely unlikely to bring him back to the Lord, wouldn't you agree, Zak? By the way, I keep praying for that unequivical evidence you are looking for. Don't forget to keep the eyes of your heart open. Who knows maybe 05-05-05 will be the day! But if not tomorrow... some day. Just let us know when it happens.
Smacking appears to be merely an excuse to indulge one's own sense of superiority at the expense of someone who you presuppose will not convert. If the smacker happens to be right, that reinforces their behavior and they're likely to do it again. Always, of course, on the lookout for those who are least likely to convert as the targets of their efforts. :rolleyes:

BTW, if your prayers ever get answered, I will definitely cruise by TOL. It would be interesting, to say the least. ;)

beanieboy

As for me, I would say that you pray that I don't convert, because if I do, what I call you on now I will call you on 10 times more.

Caille

Frank Ernest said:

I can't believe it ! I gave FrankE good rep :noway:

but where would Freak be if he couldn't stir the pot like this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.