Would you break the law to save a loved one?

• Total voters

drbrumley

Save them from what?

Break what kind of law?

An example....

The Brits had a case a couple weeks ago about a child. The parents wanted to take him to Italy for treatment. The judge said they couldn't take the child out of the hospital.

Why the Brits Are Killing a Baby
By Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
April 26, 2018

Writes Robert Moynihan:
“Thank you so much for keeping us informed… our hearts are so heavy with the murderous injustice of this government…. Nita in Alaska….” —Email from a reader
“Thank you for standing up for Alfie and his parents’ rights.” —Email from a reader
“Thank you for your posts. I am in tears with every update. So much heartache for no reason. And I am sad for our world. A major call for prayer and a return to truth, I believe. What more does Our Lord need to do to shake us awake?” —Email from a reader
“No sleep for three days, nothing but torture and deprivation. Our boy continues to fight with no suffering or indication of pain.” —Tom Evans, Alfie’s 21-year-old father, in a Facebook post this evening

Tonight, Alfie yet lives…
As I write, little Alfie is still alive and breathing, without his breathing machinery, which was detached Monday night at 9:17 p.m. — more than 48 hours ago.
…but his parents cannot take him out of the hospital or fly him to Italy
However, a three-judge panel this afternoon rejected his parents’ appeal of a Tuesday High Court decision that denied their request to take Alfie to Italy, to the Bambino Gesu hospital, for a possibly different protocol of medical care…
So Alfie is alive, but he is not free.
And, this afternoon, his mother’s lawyer said Alfie is now beginning to “struggle” to breathe.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
An example....

The Brits had a case a couple weeks ago about a child. The parents wanted to take him to Italy for treatment. The judge said they couldn't take the child out of the hospital.

I'm familiar with that case and followed it as it progressed. May little Alfie rest in peace.

In this particular instance, his condition was fatal. The parents would have been well within their rights, ethically and legally, to discontinue extraordinary means of prolonging life for this little boy who had virtually no brain matter left. However - it was their decision, not the hospital's, and they should have been able to transport him to Italy for the treatment offered. I can see this being a case where the parents would take matters into their own hands, breaking the law in the process.

Having said that, the poll question is too vague without breaking it down into hypotheticals, and depending on the hypothetical, it could be answered with both a yes and a no.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Depends. I would lie to save a loved one who was being unjustly targeted, but I wouldn't lie if a loved one had deliberately harmed someone else.
Then your answer to the question would be "yes".
It's not talking about the law for every single instance that might arise.
If you would break a law at any time at all to protect a loved one, then the answer would be "yes".

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Don't need specifics to answer the question.

Actually I think you do. I certainly wouldn't break the law to harbor a loved one who'd just shot 10 kids at a high school.

However I'd definitely break the law to save a loved one from cruel and unusual punishment, such as one who'd been arrested/imprisoned/at risk of death because they were gay.

Perhaps it would have been better stated as, "Would you EVER break the law to protect a loved one?"

Yes.

Danoh

Cast your vote and leave a comment.

Wouldn't be the first to do so.

Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 2:3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.

2:7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. 2:8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

2:12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

2:13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

2:14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: 2:15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

:thumb:

Rom. 5:6-8

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
An example....

Why the Brits Are Killing a Baby
By Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
April 26, 2018

Writes Robert Moynihan:
“Thank you so much for keeping us informed… our hearts are so heavy with the murderous injustice of this government…. Nita in Alaska….” —Email from a reader
“Thank you for standing up for Alfie and his parents’ rights.” —Email from a reader
“Thank you for your posts. I am in tears with every update. So much heartache for no reason. And I am sad for our world. A major call for prayer and a return to truth, I believe. What more does Our Lord need to do to shake us awake?” —Email from a reader
“No sleep for three days, nothing but torture and deprivation. Our boy continues to fight with no suffering or indication of pain.” —Tom Evans, Alfie’s 21-year-old father, in a Facebook post this evening

Tonight, Alfie yet lives…
As I write, little Alfie is still alive and breathing, without his breathing machinery, which was detached Monday night at 9:17 p.m. — more than 48 hours ago.
…but his parents cannot take him out of the hospital or fly him to Italy
However, a three-judge panel this afternoon rejected his parents’ appeal of a Tuesday High Court decision that denied their request to take Alfie to Italy, to the Bambino Gesu hospital, for a possibly different protocol of medical care…
So Alfie is alive, but he is not free.
And, this afternoon, his mother’s lawyer said Alfie is now beginning to “struggle” to breathe.
Oh, like that.

Yeah.

I'd be doing everything in my power to get the kid to the chopper.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

glorydaz

Don't need specifics to answer the question.
Perhaps it would have been better stated as, "Would you EVER break the law to protect a loved one?"

Okay, I voted yes. I think this is the heart of the idea that Mercy trumps the Law. I remember when I first came to TOL, I didn't really get that, and it was YOU, Tambora, that got me to understand it. :thumb: