toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

TweetyBird

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 11th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

I am not sure it is. It seems to me that the NT speaks of a falling away, no love of the truth, false teachers, wolves in the church, and deception to the point of deceiving the elect if not for the grace of God.

I am curious though, what verses foretell a revival?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If BG preached another gospel, then what?

I do not share Billy's freewill theology, nevertheless we cannot deny that a great many have been saved through his ministry...we rejoice, America ought to be proud of Billy....since so many have ben saved there must have been enough of the saving gospel in his message for the Holy Ghost to use.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If TOL is any indication - and I'm not saying it is or isn't - no.
TOL is spectrum of what the western church believes broadly but with a great many going it alone.

It is symptomatic of an underlying problem...when Israel was ruled by judges and the leadership fouled up it was every man to his home O Israel. There is in my opinion too much leadership of man in the western church.

God is working mightily on other continents.

musterion

It is symptomatic of an underlying problem...when Israel was ruled by judges and the leadership fouled up it was every man to his home O Israel. There is in my opinion too much leadership of man in the western church.

Agreed 100%, but the root cause of THAT problem is one we'd sorely disagree on so I'll not mention it.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I am not sure it is. It seems to me that the NT speaks of a falling away, no love of the truth, false teachers, wolves in the church, and deception to the point of deceiving the elect if not for the grace of God.

I am curious though, what verses foretell a revival?

None. But there have been breakthroughs and revivals in the past...the key is always back to the bible....I see little appetite for pure bible knowledge, rather when people wish to understand a doctrine they seek out vids and books etc for someone to explain it to them.

TweetyBird

I do not share Billy's freewill theology, nevertheless we cannot deny that a great many have been saved through his ministry...we rejoice, America ought to be proud of Billy....since so many have ben saved there must have been enough of the saving gospel in his message for the Holy Ghost to use.

If he taught another gospel, then he is accursed according to Paul --- just sayin' :noway:

TweetyBird

None. But there have been breakthroughs and revivals in the past...the key is always back to the bible....I see little appetite for pure bible knowledge, rather when people wish to understand a doctrine they seek out vids and books etc for someone to explain it to them.

Revivals do come and go ... but are they Biblical? We agree that the Bible is the "final answer". If revivals fade away, then are they really of God? The pure Gospel of Christ is resurrection power - it never grows old, never dulls, never fades away.

Aimiel

The Holy Spirit is alive, just as we are alive. That which is alive is always moving. When The Spirit of God moves: nations tremble. The power of God is at work in revival. All it takes is one person seriously seeking God for a revival to take place. The church is dead. It has died due to tradition, dogma and ritual. It needs to be resurrected, and to do that: revival is necessary. We need to get back to the message (Gospel) and we need to carry our cross. Without doing so we are ignoring God's desire for our lifetime. He wants to win our enemies to His Army so that we can march together, sweep this world with His Message and get our job done.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yes it is not God who ever changes but man. Revivals come when we return to the bible. And actually the revivals have not died away...the reformation has remained, the works of Bunyan are with us...the work of Wesley/Whitefield.

TweetyBird

The Holy Spirit is alive, just as we are alive. That which is alive is always moving. When The Spirit of God moves: nations tremble. The power of God is at work in revival. All it takes is one person seriously seeking God for a revival to take place. The church is dead. It has died due to tradition, dogma and ritual. It needs to be resurrected, and to do that: revival is necessary. We need to get back to the message (Gospel) and we need to carry our cross. Without doing so we are ignoring God's desire for our lifetime. He wants to win our enemies to His Army so that we can march together, sweep this world with His Message and get our job done.

I am curious about your view. You seem to be combining organized religion with the body of Christ [the true church] - which are two separate and different concepts. The body of Christ never died, but Christianity's organized religion does have issues for sure - even though many in that venue are part of the body of Christ. The body of Christ never needs a revival - it is spiritually firm and serving the Lord unconditionally with His Love and Mercy given to others, and the Gospel of Christ spoken in all truth. That is the resurrection power that has never faded away or been dulled, and never will since Jesus rose gloriously from the dead. That just grabs my heart every time I think of it!

It reminds me another song by Big Daddy Weave:

There will be one Name that I Proclaim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnDTDLOM0rY

Aimiel

Those who are in The Body of Christ (whether they attend a church or not) are the ones who need a revival, just as those who are dead and attending a dead church need same. The Body of Christ needs to spend more face-time and seek for God's revival of not only those who are His but those who are soon to be His.

TweetyBird

Those who are in The Body of Christ (whether they attend a church or not) are the ones who need a revival, just as those who are dead and attending a dead church need same. The Body of Christ needs to spend more face-time and seek for God's revival of not only those who are His but those who are soon to be His.

If a person is truly in the body of Christ, their life is filled with joy and a deep love for and a desire to serve Jesus. I have been a Christian for most of my life and I am not "dead". I am thrilled with the Gospel every waking moment. The concept of revivals confuse me as the concept and need is not apparent to me. We have the Bible - if people are not reading it to stay in focus, then a revival is not going to change that.

Revivals do not last. They fail because it is the flesh and emotionalism which hypes people up. When the revival is gone, they fall back right where they were to begin with.

Aimiel

If a person is truly in the body of Christ, their life is filled with joy and a deep love for and a desire to serve Jesus.
Ideally, yes. Not every lives an 'ideal' life.
I have been a Christian for most of my life and I am not "dead".
Many people who are don't realize the death they walk in every day.
I am thrilled with the Gospel every waking moment.
Good for you.
The concept of revivals confuse me as the concept and need is not apparent to me.
I daresay you have a lot to learn, to say the least.
We have the Bible - if people are not reading it to stay in focus, then a revival is not going to change that.
God doesn't want us to stagnate... He is alive... He wants us to not only read our Bibles but to make use of what is in there: a roadmap that leads to His Holy Mountain.
Revivals do not last. They fail because it is the flesh and emotionalism which hypes people up. When the revival is gone, they fall back right where they were to begin with.
In your opinion. God brings revival to awaken dry bones. His Purposes are always satisfied. His Word never returns to Him void.

TweetyBird

Ideally, yes. Not every lives an 'ideal' life.

I don't know what you mean by "ideal". If one loves the Lord they rejoice in their salvation no matter what happens to them - good or bad. As Job said - the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away - blessed be the Name of the Lord! And Paul who said - rejoice in all things!

Many people who are don't realize the death they walk in every day.

A revival is not going to "resurrect them". It's going to make them feel good, which like any high, soon falls away and you are right back where you were.

I daresay you have a lot to learn, to say the least.

Revivals are not in the Bible, so I guess I remain ignorant, afayac.

God doesn't want us to stagnate... He is alive... He wants us to not only read our Bibles but to make use of what is in there: a roadmap that leads to His Holy Mountain.

The Holy Mountain is Jesus. If we are in Him, we are there permanently.

In your opinion. God brings revival to awaken dry bones. His Purposes are always satisfied. His Word never returns to Him void.

There is nothing about "awakening dry bones" in the NT. When one is in Christ, they are complete, at peace, and satisfied - which means overflowing with love and gratitude, praise and worship.

Aimiel

I don't know what you mean by "ideal".
Maybe a dictionary would help...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ideal
If one loves the Lord they rejoice in their salvation no matter what happens to them - good or bad.
Ideally.
As Job said - the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away - blessed be the Name of the Lord! And Paul who said - rejoice in all things!
You're preaching to the choir.
A revival is not going to "resurrect them".
That is exactly what God does in most revivals. It's why it is called: "Revival."
It's going to make them feel good, which like any high, soon falls away and you are right back where you were.
Only silly persons are carried about by their feelings.
Revivals are not in the Bible, so I guess I remain ignorant, afayac.
There is a LOT that God makes available to us that isn't explicitly spelled out in His Holy Word. That is exactly why He designed His Book to be a roadmap to guide us into a dynamic relationship with Him through His Spirit.
The Holy Mountain is Jesus.
Symbolically, I guess you could say that. It is also His Dwelling-place, His Holy Presence, which will be our goal for our temporal lifetime.
If we are in Him, we are there permanently.
Anyone can fall from any level. Be careful when you think you stand; lest you fall.
There is nothing about "awakening dry bones" in the NT.
So?
When one is in Christ, they are complete, at peace, and satisfied - which means overflowing with love and gratitude, praise and worship.
So, when you were saved you were transfigured and now have a glorified body?!? :confused:

TweetyBird

That is exactly what God does in most revivals. It's why it is called: "Revival."

God does not speak of revivals in His written Word.

Only silly persons are carried about by their feelings.

That is the basis of revivals - feelings and emotions. Which is why they don't last.

There is a LOT that God makes available to us that isn't explicitly spelled out in His Holy Word.

The work of the Holy Spirit is expressly spelled out in His Holy Word. Revivals are not "listed".

That is exactly why He designed His Book to be a roadmap to guide us into a dynamic relationship with Him through His Spirit.

The "roadmap" does not include revivals.

Symbolically, I guess you could say that. It is also His Dwelling-place, His Holy Presence, which will be our goal for our temporal lifetime.

Jesus lives in us, has made His home in us. You can't get any closer than that :)

So? So, when you were saved you were transfigured and now have a glorified body?!? :confused:

Spiritual, not physical. We can't take anything with but what is in our spirit/soul/mind/heart > not physical, spiritual.

Aimiel

God does not speak of revivals in His written Word.
Sure He does. Ressurrection. Standing in the gap between the living and the dead. Speaking to dry bones to come to life. Making broken clay vessels into new vessels. Putting new wine into new wineskins. Rushing mighty wind filling men with The Holy Ghost. Born again. It's all over Scripture. You're just not hearing God. When He spoke to Adam and Eve in the garden He said to replenish the earth. It is dead. We have to revive it.
That is the basis of revivals - feelings and emotions. Which is why they don't last.
You're entitled to your opinion. God uses broken vessels. He maketh it yet again another.
Jesus lives in us, has made His home in us. You can't get any closer than that
Yes, but so many people make of God what they want Him to be. He wants to make His Home in us. Not our home. Not some preacher's idea of His Home. Not church on Sunday and living for one's belly all week. Home.
Spiritual, not physical. We can't take anything with but what is in our spirit/soul/mind/heart > not physical, spiritual.
He did NOT finish His Work in you the moment you were saved. He is still working on you or you'd be home by now.

TweetyBird

Sure He does. Ressurrection. Standing in the gap between the living and the dead. Speaking to dry bones to come to life. Making broken clay vessels into new vessels. Putting new wine into new wineskins. Rushing mighty wind filling men with The Holy Ghost. Born again. It's all over Scripture. You're just not hearing God. When He spoke to Adam and Eve in the garden He said to replenish the earth. It is dead. We have to revive it.

That is not quite what a revival is. It does not bring to life that which is dead.

1: an act or instance of reviving : the state of being revived: as

a : renewed attention to or interest in something

b : a new presentation or publication of something old

c (1) : a period of renewed religious interest (2) : an often highly emotional evangelistic meeting or series of meetings

: restoration of force, validity, or effect (as to a contract)

You're entitled to your opinion. God uses broken vessels.

We agree on this.

But a revival, according to your position revives that which is dead. A person who is in Christ is not dead, so why would they have to be revived?

Yes, but so many people make of God what they want Him to be. He wants to make His Home in us. Not our home. Not some preacher's idea of His Home. Not church on Sunday and living for one's belly all week. Home.He did NOT finish His Work in you the moment you were saved. He is still working on you or you'd be home by now.

He HAS made His home in us. Not "going to" or "wants to". When one believes, the Holy Spirit indwells, that is making His home in us - the Temple of the Holy Spirit, just like God "lived" or resided in the OT Temple.

What a revival does, as you have stated here is: a preacher's idea of His home, living for one's belly, etc.

I did not say the work within is finished when one is saved. I said, Jesus' work was finished on the cross aka salvation in full [forgiveness of sins, eternal life, the spiritual blessings of God in Christ].

We are changed to be made in the image of Christ. We run the race with our eyes fixed on Him. That is not a revival, it is simply living in Jesus, through Him and for Him. It is a choice that people make. Revivals do not "fix" lethargy - they only emotionalize the Gospel into a mountain top experience that does not last making people fall back into their old routines because what they experienced is not a true response to the Gospel of Christ.

Life in Christ is not about being revived every other day - it's about moving forward steadily in His grace, strength, mercy, and love through pain and suffering and sickness, in health, in good times and bad, bearing one's cross daily. No one wants to hear that at a "revival" - they want to hear all about the good stuff and have a warm fuzzy experience.