toldailytopic: Obamacare is nearing wide-scale implementation. Are you looking forwar

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 5th, 2013 10:37 AM

toldailytopic: Obamacare is nearing wide-scale implementation. Are you looking forward to it, or dreading it, and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to turn 26 before I finish grad school (and therefore can get a full time teaching job).

drbrumley

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to turn 26 before I finish grad school (and therefore can get a full time teaching job).

And that has to do with what in regards to Obummercare?

You cant get a full time teaching gig now?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
And that has to do with what in regards to Obummercare?

I'm assuming that I'm going to benefit, since my income in the foreseeable future is about $8000 per year plus whatever money I make as an adjunct teaching one or two classes (probably not much more than that) a year. Or am I mistaken?

You cant get a full time teaching gig now?

1. I'm less likely to, since I only have an MA. So that rules out a lot of full time teaching gigs.

2. Even if I could, it would be difficult to have a full time teaching gig in addition to being a full time student.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Obamacare is nearing wide-scale implementation. Are you looking forward to it, or dreading it, and why?

I am looking forward to it just about is much as I would having both legs lopped off at the knees. Essentially that is what it is doing to America. America can't afford it and it's full of unnecessary pork.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It won't be the end of the world and will prove to be nowhere as terrible as its critics insist it'll be.

Brother Vinny

(I should clarify: Obamacare unto itself has taken nothing from me, but my premiums have risen considerably--something that wasn't supposed to happen, to my understanding.)

Alate_One

I'm assuming that I'm going to benefit, since my income in the foreseeable future is about $8000 per year plus whatever money I make as an adjunct teaching one or two classes (probably not much more than that) a year. Or am I mistaken?

1. I'm less likely to, since I only have an MA. So that rules out a lot of full time teaching gigs.

2. Even if I could, it would be difficult to have a full time teaching gig in addition to being a full time student.

You remind me of this . . .

PhD

Also, the philosophy professor at my place of employment tells me the job market in his area is "very tight".

I think you're right about benefiting from the law. I'm hoping I benefit as well since my college's health care is $800 a month (for my family), bringing my salary down even lower from the already low level it is. It is my understanding employers will be asked to pay more of the health care costs.

IMJerusha

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Dreading it. Like Brother Vinny, my insurance cost has increased by over 50%. I doubt we'll be able to maintain it for long. When things first started kicking in, I noticed the lines at the pharmacy were full of people freaking out because the cost of their medications had gone up significantly and those who were most upset were those on fixed income. Both of my physicians were growling about the added difficulties placed on them and my diabetes doctor dropped my husband and I claiming my insurance wasn't paying enough against the claims. I've been hearing for many years about how Canadians have been coming to the US for healthcare due to their NHS being so bad. Wonder what they'll be doing now?
I think we should keep our eyes on the death toll. I suspect it will be going up quite a bit.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Democrat.

He didn't mean right now; he meant "without Obamacare."

Poor Americans will be pleased.
And remain poor.

Actually I'm not, and I will be.:cool:
Obtuse and arrogant.

zoo22

I'm looking forward to it because we'll begin to see what results will be, positives and negatives. I'm sick of the years of talk. Though I figure there'll still be plenty of that. I wish it were less compromised so we would be better able to look at it.

PureX

I'm dreading it because it's such a gigantic political football that we're going to be absolutely swamped by lies, slander, and inane bile. EVERYTHING is going to be the fault of "Obamacare" for at least a year, and probably all the way to the next election cycle. Rain in Idaho? - It's Obamacare! An earthquake in Mexico? - It's Obamacare! Some crack whore throws her baby in a dumpster in New Jersey? It's Obamacare! EVERYTHING bad that happens anywhere on the planet, or even just in the fantasies of right-wing lunatics, is all going to be blamed on Obamacare, incessantly, for months and months and months.

Brother Vinny

I'm dreading it because it's such a gigantic political football that we're going to be absolutely swamped by lies, slander, and inane bile. EVERYTHING is going to be the fault of "Obamacare" for at least a year, and probably all the way to the next election cycle. Rain in Idaho? - It's Obamacare! An earthquake in Mexico? - It's Obamacare! Some crack whore throws her baby in a dumpster in New Jersey? It's Obamacare! EVERYTHING bad that happens anywhere on the planet, or even just in the fantasies of right-wing lunatics, is all going to be blamed on Obamacare, incessantly, for months and months and months.

This sounds like the liberal playbook on George W. Bush.

BBTimeless

I am looking forward to it. Outside of the political rhetoric, I think this is a step in the right direction in regards to healthcare.