toldailytopic: Wildcard Wednesday? GO!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
German, American, or Irish beer?
Yes.

Discuss the merits of all.

Beeeer......

:)

I like beers from all three, but my current favorite is made locally by High Hops Brewery in Windsor Colorado, it is a "double IPA" called Dr Pat's. Very hoppy, good stuff. So I guess American is the best. :) For a more common liquor store brand, I like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo - Extra IPA. (also American) Guess I'm on a hops kick.

For German, I'm going to say Stella Artois, even tho' it's from Belgium, close enough for me. :) Love that one.

For Irish, I'll go with the standard Guinness I guess.

Buzzword

We live in a society of entitlement--honest hard work is a dying art.

Could it be because it's finally come to light that being dishonest will get you paid more, more often?

Or is it simply the result of REWARDING honest hard work becoming a dying art?

"Never reveal the full extent of your strength to anyone but yourself, for others will ever after require it of you with ever-diminishing compensation."
-Chris Lehmann

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

US third most productive nation in the world, after Norway and Singapore
http://247wallst.com/2010/06/28/72005/2/

Americans work more than anyone in the industrialized world.

More than the English, more than the French, way more than the Germans or Norwegians. Even, recently, more than the Japanese.

And Americans take less vacation, work longer days, and retire later, too.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364&page=1#.UaZ9SZxdy20

For reasons that are too complex to cite, Jack is correct. The young parents in contemporary America not only work longer hours than their parents did, but they work longer hours than do citizens of any other country in the world. We have even recently surpassed the Japanese who have coined the term "Karoshi syndrome" meaning "death from overwork."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda...-msw/overwhelmed-parents-a-nat_b_3308576.html

The facts don't seem to support that assertion. The currrent generation of workers are harder workers than their parents generation.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
There are none more entitled than the wealthy. They can spend with abandon yet increase their assets each year.

Krsto

Yes.

Beeeer......

:)

I like beers from all three, but my current favorite is made locally by High Hops Brewery in Windsor Colorado, it is a "double IPA" called Dr Pat's. Very hoppy, good stuff. So I guess American is the best. :) For a more common liquor store brand, I like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo - Extra IPA. (also American) Guess I'm on a hops kick.

For German, I'm going to say Stella Artois, even tho' it's from Belgium, close enough for me. :) Love that one.

For Irish, I'll go with the standard Guinness I guess.

Guinness - Good choice! Ireland's gift to mankind.
Stella Artois - Another great beer, but not German, as you say.
St. Pauli Girl - Ah, now there's a fine German beer, and a marketing program that puts Godaddy to shame.
Bok - A Dutch delight.

I don't think the French know how to make beer, so have had to do with wine. And cheese. They do know how to make wine and cheese. I'll give them that. But I have heard there is a chain of brewpubs in France called Frog and Rosbif, which blend British and French traditions. ('Frog' is the English nickname for the French, and Rosbif or "roast beef" the French nickname for the English). So perhaps with a bit of English influence beer drinking in France has not been a lost art.

As for the Americans, give them enough time with their microbreweries and maybe we will see some world-class beers some day.

Krsto

Can two brothers be any more different than each other:

I live in the driest part of Washington State, in a desert. He lives in the wettest part of Washington State, in a rain forest.
He is an alcoholic, I rarely drink.
I have 7 years of college, he has none.
I have a wife and 5 kids, he never married.
He lives off the land with no electricity or running water, I make some of my income building websites.
I have spent countless hours in church, he won't step foot in one.
He shaves a couple times a year, whether he needs it or not. I shave almost every day.

Krsto

Are Dodge city and Tombstone still there?

I dunno, but cell system magnate Craig McCaw built a ghost town on his private island in British Columbia:

cimage_b5c8239e8c-thumbb.jpg

rexlunae

I agree with this. Where I suspect we disagree is where the failing lies. I suspect you would argue that it is a failing of individuals, that people are unwilling to put in the effort to make their own way, whereas I would argue that it is a natural result of the fact that our economy has been structured at high levels to favor making money from not working, which removes much of the incentive to make things.