toldailytopic: On Memorial Day who do you remember and honor in your life?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 27th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: On Memorial Day who do you remember
and honor in your life?

Our late son, Thomas F. Ellis, U.S. Army Ranger.

My mom's late brother, David Lund, WWII/Korea, U.S. Navy.

My Navy buddies who kept track of who since have passed away that I served with at the Naval Air Station, North Island, San Diego, California.

Quincy

A couple uncles of mine. I never knew them, but I still greatly admire them and have the utmost gratitude towards them for their service.

bybee

A couple uncles of mine. I never knew them, but I still greatly admire them and have the utmost gratitude towards them for their service.

My father and great-uncle who served in WWI in the Army and Navy respectively.
My father gassed in the trenches in France but lived to come home. My uncle in a ship that was torpedoed but lived to come home.
Many Aunt's and Uncles who served during WWII.
My brother in Viet Nam.
My husband's uncle served with honor and heroism in WWII in Italy. He was wounded more than once and received commendations and decorations for heroism. He was one of the most decent men I have ever known. We all loved you Uncle Tom! You were truly a fine American!
My husband, his brother and one of my brothers served right after the Korean War ended.
Three grandsons continue to serve in the Navy, Army and Marine Corps. All were in the Middle East and lived to come home. I type these words with such gratitude.
All three of my grandsons are fine young men.

My second daughter is a Director of Nurses in a Veteran's facility.
She upholds the mission of putting the needs of these veteran's as her top priority.
:cheers:

Buzzword

My father, a quartermaster lieutenant in the Army during Vietnam.

My friends from high school who went on to be a PFC in the Army, a chief petty officer in the Navy, and two first lieutenants in the Marines, respectively.

Also the husbands of two friends from college, a PFC in the Army and a second lieutenant in the Marines.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My son still active duty. He did a tour in Afghanistan.
My husband, who served in the Navy as an electrician aboard surface craft. Today he's a Master electrician. He suffers hearing loss from the noisy ship board engine rooms.
I too am a Veteran, having served as a Aviation electronics technician repairing the P-3 Orion and the A-6 Intruder Aircraft. My last tour was as a Navy instructor. I like to remember the fellow shipmates that served alongside me.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 27th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

2 in the American Revolution
1 in the French & Indian War
1 in the Battle of the Thames
1 at the Alamo
3 in the Spanish American War
10 in the Civil War (on both sides)
1 GGrandfather -- WWI
2 Grandfather s -- WWII
Father -- WWII
1 GUncle -- WWII (civilian killed by Nazis for harboring Jews)
4 Uncles -- WWII
2 Cousins -- WW I & II
Cousin -- Vietnam

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

In Australia, the ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp) is such a large part of our National identity.

We have ANZAC Day as well as Remembrance Day where we have a 1 minute silence at 11 am on the 11 November each year.

Gratitude and pride for our troops is something that flows so naturally, from all Australians. They saved our butts, basically.

I also remember my Great Grandfather, a Scottish man who was captured by the Germans after rescuing his Commanding Officer from an ambush.

Wile E. Coyote

To my dad who served during the Korean and Viet Nam wars. He retired after 26 years of service in the U.S. Navy at the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer (insignia indicated in my avatar).

He passed away in November 1997 with full military honors.

Thunder's Muse

To my dad who served during the Korean and Viet Nam wars. He retired after 26 years of service in the U.S. Navy at the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer (insignia indicated in my avatar).

As he should...they all should.

bybee

One of my grandsons is a Chief in the Navy. God bless them all past and present!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

My brother was a chief. In the Navy, that is quite an accomplishment, and one that even junior officers had better respect if they know what's good for them.

We've had someone in the family in every war since the Civil war. I honor all of them, but my father most of all.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Too many to mention in a simple list.

Each year, on Memorial Day, I honor and remember one or two family members who served. This year it was my grandfather, George M. Dempsey, who served with Union forces during the War Between the States. The other was my great grand uncle, John Henry Ernest, who served with the Confederate forces during the War Between the States.