toldailytopic: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members. Good decision or bad decision?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 24th, 2013 08:52 AM

toldailytopic: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members. Good decision or bad decision?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bad decision. Another reason to seriously distrust any democracy.

99lamb

Without question disagree.
Here is the option, if the Boy Scouts hold that homosexuality is inconsistent with their beliefs -
What's STOPPING Homosexuals from starting their own troop of rainbow scouts? Let like minded people gather to start their own organization, let there be homosexual troop leaders, gay pride merit badges, But lets not castigate, demean the Boy Scouts for holding to their beliefs.
But if you want to break down strongholds of the past, you infiltrate, you change and attack, turning the tables to now have the Boy Scouts likened to a hate group. :hammer:

Alate_One

They're a private organization so they can do whatever they like. They did keep the ban on gay scout leaders which I think is more important. I'm not sure organizations such as the BSA are as important as they used to be anyway, membership has been declining for some time.

Don't like what the boyscouts did? Send your kids to AWANA.

Wile E. Coyote

They're a private organization so they can do whatever they like. They did keep the ban on gay scout leaders which I think is more important. I'm not sure organizations such as the BSA are as important as they used to be anyway, membership has been declining for some time.
:up:

Don't like what the boyscouts did? Send your kids to AWANA.
126fs3186991.gif

When I met my wife she attended the North Side Gospel Center which is the church where AWANA youth clubs was founded. I started attending her church and became an AWANA youth leader. In 1977 at AWANA youth camp the kids put a snake under the blanket of my bed.

Boy Scouts :down:

AWANA :up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Latham

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Now if Xians would just avoid getting their panties in a bunch, all would be well for the boy scouts.

I was a gay boyscout. This organizing was about preparing to go camping, camping, and selling Christmas Wreaths. It never felt like church.

not4sure

Now if Xians would just avoid getting their panties in a bunch, all would be well for the boy scouts.

I was a gay boyscout. This organizing was about preparing to go camping, camping, and selling Christmas Wreaths. It never felt like church.

SO <Atheist>, you LIED when you said the Scout Oath?

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

- Boy Scout Oath

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 24th, 2013 08:52 AM

Bad decision. Allowing perverts into the scouting program is going to cause of lot of problems. It isn't going to be safe to let your son go on overnight campouts with these guys anymore. Perverts tend to be very aggressive in promoting their lifestyle. Do you think they are gong to rein it in at boy scouts?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There were always gay scouts. BSA never asked about sexual orientation; I doubt if most people even knew it was specifically prohibited until recently.

And since BSA is officially neutral as to Who God is, you could be just about anything. I doubt if we'll see a FSM badge anytime soon, but it could happen.

jeffblue101

They did keep the ban on gay scout leaders which I think is more important.

which will probably disappear under a discrimination lawsuit.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/23/Boy-Scouts-Adopt-Incoherent-Policy-on-Homosexuals

In 2000, the Supreme Court upheld the Scouts’ rights to exclude open and avowed homosexuals in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale. The Court held that the Scouts have a First Amendment right to determine what its values are, and require that its membership be a reflection of those values. BSA’s beliefs were that open homosexuality is incompatible with the Scout Oath that a Scout must be “morally straight,” and the Scout Law requirement that a Scout be “clean.” On that basis, the Court upheld BSA’s right to exclude open homosexuals from membership.....

For the Scouts to say that homosexuality is compatible with Scouting but that homosexual adults cannot be involved in Scouting will land them in court. BSA can now be sued under numerous anti-discrimination and public-accommodation laws and will probably lose, since their exclusion is no longer driven by their beliefs protected by the First Amendment.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What this decision does is teach our children that it is ok to abandon their ideals, morals, and integrity because the world and its ways say that it's ok and that it is the "modern" way of thinking.

It's the whole lemming syndrome. It puts our children in the terrible position of having their peers look down on them if they don't give in and embrace what they know is wrong but their so called friends tell them is the new way of thinking about G-d and about moral values.

One more good American institution flushed down the toilet.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
SO <Atheist>, you LIED when you said the Scout Oath?
Yes, we all lied, I suppose. None of us could help other people at all times. Yeah, we slept and could not help others when unconsious. Endorsing a stupid platitude isn't really lying. It's jumping through a hoop of pretense so as to avoid the stupid ramblings of the artificial, pretentious people in authority over you.

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
I actually believed in God at the time. Don't blame me I was 13. I eventually grew out of it.