toldailytopic: You often hear people say "all sins are equal". Is that a valid statem

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
toldailytopic: You often hear people say "all sins are equal". Is that a valid statem

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 21st, 2013 09:57 AM

toldailytopic: You often hear people say "all sins are equal". Is that a valid statement?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: You often hear people say "all sins are equal". Is that a valid statement?

No. Jesus says so Himself right in the Bible. I give the preceding verse to show the context under which Jesus made the statement.

John 19:10-11 -
Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?”Jesus answered, You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.

Not all sins are equal. There are sins that do more harm to the person and others.

Buzzword

The statement is too vague.

All sin is equal in the eyes of God.
God is anti-sin in nature.
Sin itself separates us from God. Totally. Entirely.

If that is true, then in terms of God's nature, how can one sin be worse than another?

Different actions can have greater or lesser effect on PEOPLE, yes.
But the effects need to be defined in terms of MORALITY, not sin.

A man who steals five dollars to feed his newborn son is more moral than the man who stabs a stranger in a blind rage.

But if theft is sin, and murder is sin, and sin separates us from God, then in spiritual (rather than moral) terms how do you assign different degrees when comparing?
"Spiritual" meaning how we relate to God, "moral" meaning how we relate to each other.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unless you repent and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, then all sins are equal, as they will equally send you to eternal damnation.

As far as being equal while here on God's earth:

Our system of law, based on Judeo-Christian doctrine, says that they aren't.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

All sin, any sin, the least sin renders us guilty against an infinitely perfect being_GOD. In this sense 'all sins are equal'.
But in our human relationships there are degrees of sin.
Our primary sin and the sin for which GOD's wrath is revealed from heaven is our denial of HIS being there. Without HIS help and salvation, it's a downward spiral from that point.

Tehmill

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Yes, in the 19th century a woman who showed her ankles was considered a whore, now they show their knickers. Sin is a progressive state...hate progresses into murder a lustful look into adultery...adultery can lead onto homosexuality.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not all sins are equal, but we are all equally unworthy and guilty of sin.

None of us deserve the Grace of G-d, and yet it was offered to all of us freely.

His Grace is sufficient for us and for all of our shortcomings (sins).

Praise G-d and His goodness and glory. We are nothing without Him.

Dena

I dont think all immoral behavior is equal. Stealing gas out of a car for example is not equal to beating an elderly woman.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You often hear people say "all sins are equal". Is that a valid statement?

:think: All sin is equal in consequence to the sinner, absent grace, but unequal in relation to the consequence for others.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Sin is sin. Any sin is sin. If you sin, there is a penalty associated with that sin.

But it is still sin.

And before God, one sin... it doesn't matter which sin... is worthy of God's righteous judgment.

The Bible says the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). There is a verse that says there is a sin not leading to death.

1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

Can we determine that there is temporal punishment, or punishment in this life... and also eternal punishment, punishment in the life to come?

God's standard is perfection. Even for those who say to do all the right things. Romans 2:3 But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God?

There is eternal life as a gift from God on account of Jesus Christ His Son (seen in His death and resurrection), and I believe this is in opposition to eternal punishment / torment.

In this life there is punishment that might be incurred for each of us for crimes committed (including breaking rules that might not be seen as a crime). Just judgment is what we want. Not favoritism. But I believe we also each of us, having sinned, seek the mercy of God.

God is good. His judgment is just. Life isn't always on our basis of fairness. But we know that where we have failed, we are guilty in whatever it is. And we may face punishment in this life, even if eternal life is in store for us in the life to come (following judgment and resurrection).

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Could this come from if you have broken one commandment you have broken them all?
It is not that if you have broken one commandment you have broken all the commandments... it is that if you have broken one commandment you have broken the law. You have transgressed the law. You are counted as a law breaker. And that is all that you need to know to know you are a sinner. And in need of saving... in need of a Savior.

God sent His Son Jesus the Messiah to be the Savior of the world.

way 2 go

No

there is different degrees of punishment

Luk 12:47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
Luk 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.