toldailytopic: Do you believe in ghosts?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 20th, 2013 09:05 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Glory Land

If anyone see one, Just call TGL... :chuckle:

ghostbusters-ghostbusters-logo-comedy-films-sci-fi1.jpg

Tyrathca

No, I have never experienced anything that would have to be a ghost and all examples given to me have been rather pathetic evidence.

Almost invariably people who claim to have experienced ghosts involve events that they can't explain and therefore say must be ghosts (i.e. I don't know what caused this therefore I know what caused this). And invariably there are more plausible mundane explanations often involving wind/changes in air pressure, poor visibility (dark/low light) and some psychology.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I only believe in one--the third Person of the Trinity.

lovemeorhateme

Yes and no.

I believe that there can be supernatural experiences which are unexplainable and many people would attribute to ghosts. I've had a few myself in the past and found it to be quite scary at the time.

That being said, I don't believe in ghosts as the spirits of dead people. Once people die they are either in heaven or hell, their spirits aren't free to roam the earth. So I believe that if something really is a 'ghostly' experience then it is likely demonic.

Buzzword

I haven't had any experiences I would call "paranormal."

My wife has had several, in places where others have had similar experiences.
I believe some part of ourselves exists after the death of the body, but I don't have anything to compare my wife's experience to.

Thus, I'm undecided.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes and no.

I believe that there can be supernatural experiences which are unexplainable and many people would attribute to ghosts. I've had a few myself in the past and found it to be quite scary at the time.

That being said, I don't believe in ghosts as the spirits of dead people. Once people die they are either in heaven or hell, their spirits aren't free to roam the earth. So I believe that if something really is a 'ghostly' experience then it is likely demonic.
Thanks for clarifying. I too believe people do experience something, but it isn't the spirits of dead people they are seeing.

IMJerusha

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Perhaps the question would be better phrased "Do you believe ghosts exist?" because to say one believes in something implies that that something has Godly characteristics and such is not the case of ghosts or what Scripture calls spirits. If spirits did not exist, why would we be called to test the spirits and why would God forbid us from conjuring them?

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world." 1John 4:1-3

We read in 1Samuel 28 that the ghost/spirit of Samuel was consulted by Saul.

Other Scripture offers proof of ghosts/spirits:
"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons." 1Timothy 4:1

"When someone tells you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? Consult God’s instruction and the testimony of warning. If anyone does not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn." Isaiah 8:19-20

God said:
"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you." Deut. 18:10-12

Clearly, ghosts/spirits exist. What need would we have to differentiate between God's Spirit and others by calling Him Holy?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Nope.

Spirits as in angels or demons that work for or against the purposes of God, yes.

People who have died are not able to communicate with the living.

IMJerusha

Nope.

Spirits as in angels or demons that work for or against the purposes of God, yes.

People who have died are not able to communicate with the living.

"Samuel said to Saul, 'Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?' "
1Samuel 28:15

sky.

BANNED
Banned
We read in 1Samuel 28 that the ghost/spirit of Samuel was consulted by Saul.

This is one case where God allowed a medium a witch to participate in what God had to say to Saul through Samuel.

1 Samuel 28:7-8

7 Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.”

And his servants said to him, “In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor.”

8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”

-------------------------------

The difference is that what Samuel said to Saul did happen.

--------------------------------

1 Samuel 28:16-19
16 Samuel said, “Why do you consult me, now that the Lord has departed from you and become your enemy? 17 The Lord has done what he predicted through me. The Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors—to David. 18 Because you did not obey the Lord or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the Lord has done this to you today. 19 The Lord will deliver both Israel and you into the hands of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also give the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines.”

1 Samuel 31: 1-6
31Now the Philistines fought against Israel; and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell slain on Mount Gilboa. 2 Then the Philistines followed hard after Saul and his sons. And the Philistines killed Jonathan, Abinadab, and Malchishua, Saul’s sons. 3 The battle became fierce against Saul. The archers hit him, and he was severely wounded by the archers.

4 Then Saul said to his armorbearer, “Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised men come and thrust me through and 2abuse me.”

But his armorbearer would not, for he was greatly afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword and fell on it. 5 And when his armorbearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword, and died with him. 6 So Saul, his three sons, his armorbearer, and all his men died together that same day.

--------------------------

You would be hard pressed to find another example in Scripture but the difference is that what the spirit of Samuel said did happen. God allowed the spirit of Samuel to communicate with Saul.