toldailytopic: Once a person is saved can they reject that salvation should they chan

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Bible must be rightly divided. Pay very close attention
to Paul, who was sent to the gentile believers with the message
of Gods Grace through faith alone!

This is consistent with OT, Peter, John, Jesus, etc. (Rom. 4-5). I affirm this truth about justification, but sanctification/perseverance are related, not identical.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I believe in OSAS and I believe we have freewill! How is that,
having it both ways?

You introduce a deterministic, causative, coercive issue (OSAS) in contradistinction to free will that allows one to reject Christ before or after conversion (vs universalism/OSAS). Your view practically negates free will at conversion since a person cannot fall away/apostasize despite the biblical and anecdotal evidence that it is possible in congruence with free will vs determinism.

glorydaz

It is not free will if we cannot receive or reject Him.

We can receive or reject Him. Then we are no longer our own, but have been bought with a price...having our heart purified by faith...having passed from death unto life....becoming His workmanship not our own. It seems to me you don't see the difference between the old man who can reject our Lord and the new man that is created IN CHRIST JESUS.

Before salvation, the world is our home. After salvation, we are kept in God's back yard. Our freedom is limited according to His good pleasure and His long-suffering as we are being conformed into His image. Being sons of the living God, we know who has control and who it is we have believed...else our faith does not justify us before God.

Do you know whom you have believed? Are you persuaded HE IS ABLE to keep you? That is really what it boils down to.

2 Timothy 1:12
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I actually agree with GM on this one. I believe in OSAS, but I believe that Heaven is not a prison. If, upon arrival, the presence of God is not something you can tolerate, I figure you would have the freedom to go elsewhere and be miserable.

Wow, even most Open Theists do not go this far.

I do not see how you can support OSAS in a probationary period full of flesh and temptation, yet deny OSAS in a perfect, heavenly state?!

Gregory Boyd feels we will be more compatibilistic than libertarian in heaven (I am not sure I agree).

If we are not OSAS in perfect heaven, why on earth defend it for this imperfect time before heaven?!

It seems to me you would be more consistent if you deny it before and after heaven.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
That is true of both churches. The difference is the ministry. There are Jews and Gentiles in the Body of Christ. There are Jews and Gentiles in the gospel of circumcision.

And you need to back up a page.

Galatians 2

7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter

You have just shown that there is Jew and Gentile in this church. So don't try to say it the same just to a different group.

Demarcation of ministry, not two true gospels post-cross!

Your other post shows you still confuse justification, sanctification, and perseverance, and that you misunderstand, misrepresent my view on perseverance (just as SD does with my view of impeccability, original sin, etc.).

You are a sozoite (make same rookie mistakes as he did).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
And I insist, nobody is going to say send me to hell instead.

Not in heaven, but can and does happen in this life (some shipwreck their faith and act stupidly and selfishly in this probation period before death seals destiny).:box:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I guess I am. I wonder if they'll be claiming the Antichrist was saved before he was lost, too?

John 17:12
While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The Antichrist will likely be godless always, never saved.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Our Lord quoted Psalm 41 for good reason. One's enemies are the subject here...those who have access but are false friends...betrayers as Judas was. To say there is a Calvinist or a Satanic Bible only proves you don't pay close attention to God's Word when you form your opinions. Yes, Judas was chosen for the very act of betrayal in the same way God raised up Pharoah to persecute the children of Israel. Jesus knew from the beginning who believed NOT and who would betray Him. That is the reason Judas was chosen.

Psalm 41:9
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

This was not about Judas in context. It does not name Judas. Other verses are applied to Jesus as Messiah that are not predictive prophecy and not what the original context was at all. There are many e.g. (that you are ignorant of due to a wrong traditional view) where OT verses are applied because they are parallel or illustrative, not because they are predictive fulfillment.

If Judas did not betray him, the verse would not have been recorded or it would have been applied to someone else.

If Judas Iscariot was named in the OT, then I would be wrong and you would be right.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
We can receive or reject Him. Then we are no longer our own, but have been bought with a price...having our heart purified by faith...having passed from death unto life....becoming His workmanship not our own. It seems to me you don't see the difference between the old man who can reject our Lord and the new man that is created IN CHRIST JESUS.

Before salvation, the world is our home. After salvation, we are kept in God's back yard. Our freedom is limited according to His good pleasure and His long-suffering as we are being conformed into His image. Being sons of the living God, we know who has control and who it is we have believed...else our faith does not justify us before God.

Do you know whom you have believed? Are you persuaded HE IS ABLE to keep you? That is really what it boils down to.

2 Timothy 1:12
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Just as God's saving power and grace can be resisted/rejected (vs universalism), so His keeping power/grace can be resisted/rejected after conversion. Your view is iRobot, not love, freedom, relationship, responsibility.

Verses about BELIEVERS are true (since the audience is actually believing and continued to believe), but they do not apply any longer to former believers (apostates, fallen away, no longer believing but rejecting Him).

Calvinists are wrong to say that grace is irresistible or that love is deterministic.

If we can reject God before conversion, we should be able to reject Him after conversion. Scripture warns about this possibility and we can give many e.g. in Christianity or other religions. If a devout Muslim can fall away and become a Christian or an atheist, then there is no logical reason a devout Christian cannot fall away or convert to another religion.

Wrong assumptions about salvation being irreversible divorced from loving reciprocal relationship lead to wrong conclusions.

glorydaz

Yes, so OSAS is incoherent in light of this. God does not coerce/cause salvation/perseverance. It is a reciprocal vs unilateral love relationship.

And how is it we persevere? By our own efforts, or by His work in us? If we claim it's by our own efforts then we claim we are conforming ourselves into His image and we claim we are transforming ourselves. That is nothing more than boasting in ourselves rather than our Lord. Man is forever boasting in his own salvation and his own keeping. :nono:

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Romans 12:1-3
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

glorydaz

Just as God's saving power and grace can be resisted/rejected (vs universalism), so His keeping power/grace can be resisted/rejected after conversion. Your view is iRobot, not love, freedom, relationship, responsibility.

Verses about BELIEVERS are true (since the audience is actually believing and continued to believe), but they do not apply any longer to former believers (apostates, fallen away, no longer believing but rejecting Him).

Calvinists are wrong to say that grace is irresistible or that love is deterministic.

If we can reject God before conversion, we should be able to reject Him after conversion. Scripture warns about this possibility and we can give many e.g. in Christianity or other religions. If a devout Muslim can fall away and become a Christian or an atheist, then there is no logical reason a devout Christian cannot fall away or convert to another religion.

Wrong assumptions about salvation being irreversible divorced from loving reciprocal relationship lead to wrong conclusions.

No LOGICAL reason? How about the fact that we are the clay and God is the potter? How about the fact that we have a heart circumcised by the Holy Spirit? Is God not able to complete what He began in us? You're confusing those who have heard the good news and then rejected it with those who have been raised into newness of LIFE. Drink of the LIVING WATER and then you'll be unable to deny it's POWER.

I'm baffled....do you always deny the POWER OF GOD? Do you actually think the Holy Spirit's circumcision of our heart is so feeble that it can be undone by the anything we might do? That anything can separate us from the Love of God? :think:

1 Peter 1:5
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Let me ask you this. Is there anything that could separate you from the love of God? Could you lose your salvation?

StanJ53

Sinners who believe they are born of God are liars according to these following scriptures.

1 John 1:
6: If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not live according to the truth;

1 John 2:
4: He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 3:
4: Every one who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

6: No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.

8: He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 4:
6: We are of God. Whoever knows God listens to us, and he who is not of God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

1 John 5:
17: All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Matthew 5:
19: Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven,
20: For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6
21: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
22: "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light;
23: but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
24: "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Galations 5:
19: Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness,
20: idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit,
21: envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew 7
21: "Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22: On that day many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
23: And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.'

As I said, cherry picking and ignoring the verses I gave you. The verses you quoted to NOT exist in a vacuum. They are to be interpreted with ALL scripture, NOT just the ones you pick out to try and prove your point.
You are NOT the first on here to try this rookie, and you won't be the last.
Are you doormat btw?

StanJ53

I actually agree with GM on this one. I believe in OSAS, but I believe that Heaven is not a prison. If, upon arrival, the presence of God is not something you can tolerate, I figure you would have the freedom to go elsewhere and be miserable.

Hate to burst your bubble Delmar but NOBODY is going to heaven.

glorydaz

This was not about Judas in context. It does not name Judas. Other verses are applied to Jesus as Messiah that are not predictive prophecy and not what the original context was at all. There are many e.g. (that you are ignorant of due to a wrong traditional view) where OT verses are applied because they are parallel or illustrative, not because they are predictive fulfillment.

If Judas did not betray him, the verse would not have been recorded or it would have been applied to someone else.

If Judas Iscariot was named in the OT, then I would be wrong and you would be right.

Ah, so you claim that which was written in the OT wasn't predictive....merely an illustration? Does that apply to casting lots for Christ's clothing and His being bruised for our iniquities? Hmmm...

So the fact that Jesus called Judas a devil long before he betrayed Him was simply a figure of speech, I suppose?

John 6:70-71
Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

And the fact that Judas had access as a disciple and ate and drank has nothing to do with Psalm 41...just a mere coincidence? Hmmm...

Matt. 26:21-25
And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Judas is called the son of perdition, too, yet you claim he was saved. Don't you find that an odd contradiction then?

He was only called the son of perdition when he died and went to hell. He was not called this when he was chosen initially. He was called an apostle in the same list as the other apostles. Jesus did not chose a devil. The verb tense shows that he became a betrayer, then was filled with Satan, THEN died and became a son of perdition. He was not predestined in eternity past to be this, was not predicted in the OT to fill the role unconditionally/deterministically, was not called these things at birth nor after He was called by God himself to be an apostle. Near the beginning of the ministry, he had a downward spiral until he cooked his goose.

This is the biblical chronology, but you have a preconception to retain.

Regardless, OSAS or not does not rise or fall on Judas (who does illustrate apostasy/falling away), but on all biblical evidence vs proof texts out of context.

You have not dealt with the book length topic I linked that looks at all these Scriptures. Don't assume your tradition is truth or free from bias.

glorydaz

Not in heaven, but can and does happen in this life (some shipwreck their faith and act stupidly and selfishly in this probation period before death seals destiny).:box:

Ah, you see this life as probation. That explains a lot. What do you think Paul is talking about in this verse?

Romans 6:8
Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

So I ask you, what are you waiting for?

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.