toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'll tell you why.

Because the mods should be a close knit committee.
And the best way to have less dissension within a committee is for all to have the same basic principles.

The worst committee you can have is one that has members that disagree on too many things.

After all, this is a theology site; so the committee elected to maintain TOL should reflect TOL.

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense. I had in mind Rusha when I wrote that, though, and she's shown repeatedly that she not only understands but respects the principles underlying the TOL commandments.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whoever gets picked, it needs to be someone who will consistently move the religion threads which keep popping up in Politics to their correct place in the Forum.
Yep.

Maintaining the structure set forth in TOL is also a responsibility of the mod committee.
It's not just about banning those that make offensive comments.

fool

Hall of Fame
I guess we could always base the decision of the moderator on his/her choice of mustard. :think:

I think some kind of cross reference between mustard preference and beard length and handgun calibur advocatcy would be just as legite as any.
I'm gonna come out as a spicy mustard, long beard .40 caliber guy.
But I could be a plain mustard, clean shaven, 9mm guy without much of a stretch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yep.
Contrary to popular belief, TOL is not a democracy.
That said, how does TOL suffer if someone isn't as biased, is by definition more fair? Who is harmed by it?

One of the few things I don't like about TOL is found in the whole bias business, politically applied. If the bias is a Christian sensibility I see it. There has to be a standard of conduct. A right wing bias just invites contempt for the rule and smacks of tariffs, that is a protection for a thing that can't stand on its own.

I don't happen to believe conservative philosophy requires extra protection and that's all it can amount to.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep.

Maintaining the structure set forth in TOL is also a responsibility of the mod committee.
It's not just about banning those that make offensive comments.
Mod duties consist also of cleaning up the board when a member makes several threads all of the same title or the same topic, fixing misspellings in thread titles, putting threads in the proper sections. I notice as of late that a lot the threads that belong in Religion are popping up in Politics.

IMJerusha

Have someone of differing view might cause too much bickering within the ranks.

Here are some quotes from the TOL rules.

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that."

"4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden."

Someone's who's views are not in line with this may have a hard time moderating with this in mind. You would not want to place a wolverine in charge of a caribou herd to keep wolves from eating it. Likewise you would not want someone who is ideologically dissimilar with the owners of the forum. This is a Christian site. I've seen other Christian sites fail because non-Christians or ideologically dissimilar people were allowed to moderate. The result is chaos. It looks good on paper, but in the real world it doesn't work.

I would say that depends on how one defines Christian behavior as it relates to cause and wickedness. First and foremost, in my mind, TOL is a CHRISTIAN website and, therefore, accountable to God. It is not correct Christian behavior to call people morons and retards and other belittling/demeaning names regardless. It is possible to hold to the Christian standard and simultaneously get ones point across and most of the people posting here are more than capable of doing so. Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe that this is what Knight envisioned from the gitgo....intelligent, CHRISTIAN debate and discussion not Christian-lite d&d. I recall someone posting that the bad eggs, atheists and agnostics make for a sort of necessary spiciness on the forum and I was a bit shocked by that. God wants all to come to Him and I don't believe God would approve of our abuse of people that way. I believe TOL is better than that and has much more to offer both to God and man.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
..And whingeing PM's went in the garbage.. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Those were the days!
I liked the first few years after I arrived best. A real mix of voices and a lot of the more interesting members were really active. When I created the class thread I wasn't surprised at what I found in terms of membership. But maybe that's the way anyone feels over enough time. :think: Sort of the way one generation looks at the next.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I liked the first few years after I arrived best. A real mix of voices and a lot of the more interesting members were really active. When I created the class thread I wasn't surprised at what I found in terms of membership. But maybe that's the way anyone feels over enough time. :think: Sort of the way one generation looks at the next.
TOL has been the target lately of the people that join just to cause a stir on the site. This is has been happening for the past year and a half.

fool

Hall of Fame
Depends on the mustard, I suppose.

I'm rather taken with French's, but I don't cotton to that fancy French stuff. :nono:

The French didn't invent cotton so you don't got to cotton to anything French.
They did invent scalping people so I guess you would owe them a nod if that comes up on your daily list of things to do.

WizardofOz

maybe Del's tired of dealing with all the childish crap :idunno:

nin, crow, poly?

they didn't take crap from anyone - cross the line and you were outta here

come back whining about it?

:wave:

I like Delmar's mod style better. Give someone plenty of rope to hang themselves and only hand out infractions when it's obviously deserved. I appreciate the latitude given even if some posters grate me the wrong way.

Knight and Nori fill out the holes just fine in the meantime when Del's not around.

Oh speaking of ... WoO. Another member who would make a great mod.

Why thank you. You are one of the few I would nominate given my hesitation to have more mods at all. You don't report posts (at least not often enough to notice), you're fair, mostly above the personal drama, etc.

Heck, I wouldn't even ban aCW if I were ever a mod. Just spammers, stalkers and those who only know how to troll. Even then I'd let it go longer than most. Trolls can be funny from time to time as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Nearly everyone has something to contribute.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Which isn't the topic of this thread ...

There are Christians on here who would be great moderators in Atheist Forums.

Irrelevant and you know it. There is a creator, he left us his word, and you know it. You make this post like it is some sort of debate. Don't like my response? Don't try to hide your poison.