toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
IMO, Vegas would be a great choice for mod. He is fairly even tempered and not prone to personal vendettas.

That's kind of you, Rusha, but I'm not so certain.

I like too many folks.

I have my opinions, sure, but I am not sure that I could be even-handed in my sharing of punishment. :D

Now, if some folks threatened my children, there would be a great outpouring of malice. Of that you can be sure.

When it comes to this sort of thing, however, I'm not thinking I could be "stern" enough.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's kind of you, Rusha, but I'm not so certain.

I like too many folks.

I have my opinions, sure, but I am not sure that I could be even-handed in my sharing of punishment. :D

Now, if some folks threatened my children, there would be a great outpouring of malice. Of that you can be sure.

When it comes to this sort of thing, however, I'm not thinking I could be "stern" enough.

When it comes to threats towards a members children (or ANY children) or bad mouthing family members, being stern is a must ... and you most certainly could be.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Needs to be one that does not get their feelings hurt easily.
Needs to be one that is present on a daily basis (or close to it).
Needs to be one that is not intimidated by others.
Needs to be one that has the same beliefs that TOL wants to represent (or close to it).

Stripe
Lighthouse

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When it comes to threats towards a members children (or ANY children) or bad mouthing family members, being stern is a must ... and you most certainly could be.

Thank you! There is so much crime against children these days (abortion included) that stern action is absolutely necessary.

I digress from the topic, however...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Needs to be one that has the same beliefs that TOL wants to represent (or close to it).

I agree completely with the first three, but disagree on the necessity for your last. We already have mods who fit the last, so adding a mod who might not personally agree with TOL beliefs, but who understands and respects the TOL commandments and applies them well could be a real asset to the moderating team.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Attributes of a TOL moderator

The person need moderate--keeping in mind the vision of TOL.
The individual needs to be one with integrity.
He/she needs to have thick skin.
He/she must be one that cannot be swayed by members--but to be influenced only by the vision of the board owners.

I discovered on my short stint as a mod that mods are subjected to a flood of PMs trying to influence them in their decisions as a mod. A good mod is not influenced by these.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
IMO, Vegas would be a great choice for mod. He is fairly even tempered and not prone to personal vendettas.
I like him. Another right wing Christian, so no real departure, but a good egg and a fine choice.

I think fool would be the bolder choice and another good one. He has a sense of humor and no real enemies here that I'm aware of. And I don't think you have to be a Christian to understand and enforce the rules, that he'd be less inclined than most to jump the gun. Most of the suggestions have been good ones, though most would be polarizing on some level.

I'd be great :)D) but too divisive among a certain segment of the membership. And, worse, I wouldn't do it. :eek: I think the best job here is being a member. I like that freedom.

Anna would be great, I think a bit like cattyfan, but there's no way she'd say yes and I think she stays busy enough at any rate.

SD would spend too much of her time trying to track down IPs.

Psalmist would clog the machinery with graphics laced infractions. :D

SoJ would actually be terrific...shoot. :mmph: Unless he tried to lace his duties with humor. Then there could be trouble.

Bybee would leave the place covered in the blood of trolls, but then who would we talk about? :think:

zoo...I'd support him, but he'd probably ban me. :noid: He thinks he's been cleverly setting that up but I'm onto him (thanks SD).

I was going to say Buzzword, but he left me off his list so nuts to him and he'd better hope I never am a moderator. :eek:

Stripe...given his judgment on the fair/right business I don't think I could trust him to be either, so that's another nope.

Rusha is an atheist and if fool can't get around that no one from that camp can, though I think she'd be a good one.

Vaq and Granite...yikes. In the end there could be only one and I think we need both.

IK would be a great pick. She already got most of it. I think she's picked up the rest AND it would make Sod pass out, given his conduct since.

That's gold. :chuckle:

Who am I leaving out? Oh, yeah, TomO, Light, AB and Tam.

Well then... :plain: :rotfl:

There go those votes. :rip:

IMJerusha

I think Vegas would be a good choice or Anna because I have witnessed the love of Yeshua in them and a desire to serve God by loving others. They are both good natured and intelligent. I also think of Town who is trained to view both sides of a situation and gauge according to law and although he and I do not agree on all things, I have seen that he has a heart for the Lord...much softer than he would like people to realize.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like him. Another right wing Christian, so no real departure, but a good egg and a fine choice.

I think fool would be the bolder choice and another good one. He has a sense of humor and no real enemies here that I'm aware of. And I don't think you have to be a Christian to understand and enforce the rules, that he'd be less inclined than most to jump the gun. Most of the suggestions have been good ones, though most would be polarizing on some level.

I'd be great :)D) but too divisive among a certain segment of the membership. And, worse, I wouldn't do it. :eek: I think the best job here is being a member. I like that freedom.

Anna would be great, I think a bit like cattyfan, but there's no way she'd say yes and I think she stays busy enough at any rate.

SD would spend too much of her time trying to track down IPs.

Psalmist would clog the machinery with graphics laced infractions. :D

SoJ would actually be terrific...shoot. :mmph: Unless he tried to lace his duties with humor. Then there could be trouble.

Bybee would leave the place covered in the blood of trolls, but then who would we talk about? :think:

zoo...I'd support him, but he'd probably ban me. :noid: He thinks he's been cleverly setting that up but I'm onto him (thanks SD).

I was going to say Buzzword, but he left me off his list so nuts to him and he'd better hope I never am a moderator. :eek:

Stripe...given his judgment on the fair/right business I don't think I could trust him to be either, so that's another nope.

Rusha is an atheist and if fool can't get around that no one from that camp can, though I think she'd be a good one.

Vaq and Granite...yikes. In the end there could be only one and I think we need both.

IK would be a great pick. She already got most of it. I think she's picked up the rest AND it would make Sod pass out, given his conduct since.

That's gold. :chuckle:

Who am I leaving out? Oh, yeah, TomO, Light, AB and Tam.

Well then... :plain: :rotfl:

There go those votes. :rip:

And then we get to TH.

:sigh:

socrates2.jpg

Bastion of truth. Purveyor of humor (sorry, AB, humo(u)r in your language).

I think he would make a fine choice.

He doesn't always see eye-to-eye with the upper echelons, but he is "fair and balanced." (Sorry, TH, for the Fox News reference.)

In all seriousness, though, I have liked TH since day one.

Then again, I like most folks that aren't anti-bbq and beans, so I may not be saying anything particularly noteworthy.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree completely with the first three, but disagree on the necessity for your last. We already have mods who fit the last, so adding a mod who might not personally agree with TOL beliefs, but who understands and respects the TOL commandments and applies them well could be a real asset to the moderating team.
I'll tell you why.

Because the mods should be a close knit committee.
And the best way to have less dissension within a committee is for all to have the same basic principles.

The worst committee you can have is one that has members that disagree on too many things.

After all, this is a theology site; so the committee elected to maintain TOL should reflect TOL.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
And all completely opposed to certain fundamentals. Whoever has a stick on TOL needs to be able to use it regardless of the "fairness" that lot bleats about.

but that's not fairrrrrrrrr :baby:

Vaquero45 is a steady hand.
Him and Granite seem to have some deep seated feud going however.

simple solution

permaban granite

Depends on the mustard, I suppose.

I'm rather taken with French's, but I don't cotton to that fancy French stuff. :nono:

I'm partial to the super hot chinese mustard that gives you the burn at the back of your neck

I don't have feelings

I think I could manage this one

no idea what you're talking about

:)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll tell you why.

Because the mods should be a close knit committee.
And the best way to have less dissension within a committee is for all to have the same basic principles.

The worst committee you can have is one that has members that disagree on too many things.

After all, this is a theology site; so the committee elected to maintain TOL should reflect TOL.

Have someone of differing view might cause too much bickering within the ranks.

Here are some quotes from the TOL rules.

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that."

"4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden."

Someone's who's views are not in line with this may have a hard time moderating with this in mind. You would not want to place a wolverine in charge of a caribou herd to keep wolves from eating it. Likewise you would not want someone who is ideologically dissimilar with the owners of the forum. This is a Christian site. I've seen other Christian sites fail because non-Christians or ideologically dissimilar people were allowed to moderate. The result is chaos. It looks good on paper, but in the real world it doesn't work.

WizardofOz

My vote is for no more mods. Less is more.

Delmar does a great job and is above any personal drama. :thumb:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh speaking of ... WoO. Another member who would make a great mod.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Have someone of differing view might cause too much bickering within the ranks.

Here are some quotes from the TOL rules.

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that."

"4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden."

Someone's who's views are not in line with this may have a hard time moderating with this in mind. You would not want to place a wolverine in charge of a caribou herd to keep wolves from eating it. Likewise you would not want someone who is ideologically dissimilar with the owners of the forum. This is a Christian site. I've seen other Christian sites fail because non-Christians or ideologically dissimilar people were allowed to moderate. The result is chaos. It looks good on paper, but in the real world it doesn't work.

Yep.
Contrary to popular belief, TOL is not a democracy.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
My vote is for no more mods. Less is more.

Delmar does a great job and is above any personal drama. :thumb:

maybe Del's tired of dealing with all the childish crap :idunno:

nin, crow, poly?

they didn't take crap from anyone - cross the line and you were outta here

come back whining about it?

:wave: