toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your being wrong is just gravy.
Wrong about what?

I was born into a family that valued them
You should value them as well.

When are you getting yours?
Every day. :)

People attempting to make causal connections that don't rationally apply. It's all the rage around here.

You got that from looking through the list of reports made and responses given? :AMR:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Come on TH. You like numbers. Go through the Woodshed, count reports by member name and categorise according to response. Let's see the list of people that have the best and worst report to response ratios.

Or you could pretend Hitler belongs in a rational response again. :plain:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Posting in ALL-NON-SEQUITUR should be against the rules as well. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Come on TH. You like numbers. Go through the Woodshed, count reports by member name and categorise according to response. Let's see the list of people that have the best and worst report to response ratios.

Or you could pretend Hitler belongs in a rational response again. :plain:
The problem is you presume a connection between that number and rightness...or fairness. You didn't exactly spell that out. Let's assume rightness. But what actually happens is someone sets out a complaint and someone else applies their own subjective judgment to it. That tells you next to nothing about fairness or rightness. There's no objective standard in play to correlate the numbers by, just an outcome with an assumption tied about it like a ribbon.

Son of Jack

I'm sure being a mod is a very difficult job. I appreciate Knight, Del, Poly, and Ebenz. They do a great job. Thank you.

I can think of a few others that could do it, but they've all been mentioned.

StanJ53

Hey, fat Stan, you said "With that kind of potty mouth, you won't make mod yungin" When did I ever use foul language? Look :dunce: you neg me, it is like an ant, but when I do it to you, is is something bigger. You have to be a loose cannon, a dimwit, to play that way.

Hey yungin'! Are you Japanese? Potty mouth does NOT just include four letter expletives kiddo. When you neg rep me with "Shut up, fat boy", then yes I neg rep you with what I said. Don't start what you can't finish sweet cheeks.

I only neg rep people that do it to me first child and having a war of words with you is like fighting an unarmed child.

Last edited:

glorydaz

I'd like to see Inzl have another chance. She is a straight shooter.
She manned up and apologized for her mistake.:first:

Inzl would be my top pick. She can do anything, and she is a wonderful sister in the Lord. :first:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem is you presume a connection between that number and rightness...or fairness.
Where do you get off telling me what I presume? :AMR:

The number of reports made by a person is no determiner of whether his reports are right or not. What determines right from wrong on TOL is the will of the mod. "Fairness" is only brought up when people don't like the decision made.

You didn't exactly spell that out.
I don't generally spell things out unless asked. And you're a right hypocrite for bemoaning my not spelling things out when all you do is spell out non-sequitur.

There's no objective standard in play to correlate the numbers by
Yes, there is. If a reported post is acted on, the report was justified. If it was not acted on, it probably wasn't justified.

Looking at these ratios will give us an indication of which reporters are the best at judging what is against the rules and what is not.

I got you started. Feel free to add the details on sheet2. Come on, what are you scared of?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm sure being a mod is a very difficult job. I appreciate Knight, Del, Poly, and Ebenz. They do a great job. Thank you.

I can think of a few others that could do it, but they've all been mentioned.
It is also often a thankless job that takes a lot of man hours. The staff have to put up with a lot to keep the site running smoothly. They also have to tolerate a lot of guff from members. Those enjoying the site don't see half the stink that staff have to put up with. Kudos to the staff that run TOL and make it what it is. The person that takes up the position of third super mod will have 100 percent of my support.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice... I officially withdraw Tammy from my recommendation.

Sisterhood forever aye Tammy?
Tambora is still my top pick. She would be fair an she sees all that goes on this board. She wouldn't take any guff off of anyone.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh...never me. I can barely figure out how to post stuff....or do my quote marks, and I definately don't have the tact. But I do appreciate you mentioning me, Stan. :)
In about a year when you get to know the site, you will probably make a good mod.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Perhaps the best thing would be the ability to inspect one's own motives. A failure to do so seems to be what trips up most moderators.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Where do you get off telling me what I presume? :AMR:
It's a gift. :plain: More seriously, there's no other way to read it and you don't actually differ on that part of it. You will and do, in fact, presume a correlation between the mod verdict and the descriptive terms related.

The number of reports made by a person is no determiner of whether the report is right or not. What determines right from wrong on TOL is the will of the mod.

No, it doesn't. I'll get to why below.

"Fairness" is only brought up when people don't like the decision made.
No, what's unfair also isn't right.

I don't generally spell things out unless asked. And you're a right hypocrite for bemoaning my not spelling things out when all you do is spell out non-sequitur.
Imagine if that was an argument, with support and a conclusion that flowed from it rationally...why don't we all imagine it together.

:plain:

...If a reported post is acted on, the report was justified
No, though it raises the likelihood. Some things are obvious, like profanity or implied profanity. Other charges are much more subjective. If all the rules were like the rule relating to profanity I'd agree with you. Most of them aren't and the rule makers don't even pretend to be fair/equitable/right in enforcement of them. To the contrary, a bias is declared almost proudly. Now if the bias is in the foundation of a rule then it's one thing. Fairness or right within that relative context is spelled out and applies equally to everyone. But if the bias is in the application of the rule then fairness/right is nonsensical and what you can glean from a ruling is tainted.

If it was not acted on, it probably wasn't justified.
I'd call you naive, but you aren't so I'll just say, supra.

Looking at these ratios will give us an indication of which reporters are the best at judging what is against the rules and what is not.
Nah. You'd have to have a large sample. Someone could have reported once and had a mod agree. Great percentage, doesn't tell you much. And the sample should be across the range of complaints available, or you could only report spam bots and profanity and look like a world beater by your standard. In short, absent a number of accounted for variables it wouldn't tell you anything about the rightness or fairness of the outcome and the number that follows representing it.

And to go back a bit, the reason you got the Hitler line was because you tried a bumper sticker approach, "Diversity is divisive." That can be but needn't be true. I shouldn't have to spell that out to someone who has played a team sport. It's comprised, frequently, of a team with different backgrounds and personalities and understandings. But they come together within the framework of the game. TOL has rules and those rules and respect for the institution is a similar animal.