toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage t

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 3rd, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage terrorism by it's adherents?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

It encourages it, it makes space for it and downright advocates violence.

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Christian religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

Encourage

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Hindu religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

Encourage

--

You can probably see where this is going.

Quincy

Encourages for sure. As I've said on here before, the moderates may take it and turn it into a religion of peace, cherry picking out the verses that support their doctrine of peace. I think the fundamentalist understand it best though. I feel that way about every religion, they are all divisive and while not all violent they all seem to have their elements of malice sprinkled throughout.

Chalmer Wren

I don't know much about Islam, but I don't think the content of a religion is relevant when discussing the pathology of its adherents. Extreme Islamists today cultivate intolerance, violence, and hate. Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremists. Whether or not Islam truly teaches these things is secondary.

bybee

I don't know much about Islam, but I don't think the content of a religion is relevant when discussing the pathology of its adherents. Extreme Islamists today cultivate intolerance, violence, and hate. Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremists. Whether or not Islam truly teaches these things is secondary.

If you read the Quran straight through you might come up with a different conclusion.

Selaphiel

Encourages for sure. As I've said on here before, the moderates may take it and turn it into a religion of peace, cherry picking out the verses that support their doctrine of peace. I think the fundamentalist understand it best though.

What is your basis for stating that fundamentalism is a more true version of any religion? Fundamentalism is primarily a modern phenomenon, so how can you state that a true version of old religions first emerged within modernity?

I find that people here make a whole lot of statements, however I see no indication the same people have any understanding of the religion(s) they criticize with those statements.

I feel that way about every religion, they are all divisive and while not all violent they all seem to have their elements of malice sprinkled throughout.

They are divise in the sense that they attempt to say something that is true about the human condition. In other words, it is no more divisive than politics, philosophy or any other form of ideology. Of course, one can pretend to be one of those people that do not hold to any ideology at all. In my experience, those people are the ones you really need to watch out for. Because the only difference between them and the rest is that they think their own ideology is so correct that it is a self-evident truth.

Selaphiel

If you read the Quran straight through you might come up with a different conclusion.

Have you read the Old testament? I seem to recall some rather hideous passages within it, like saying that those that are dashing children against the rocks should be blessed. Not to mention records and bragging about genocide in the name of God.

Of course, the church fathers found those passages to be absolutely horrible and thus read them allegorically as refering to the war against sin within ourselves. However, you cannot deduce that from reading the Bible alone. You seem to dismiss Islam as a religion of violence based on a superficial reading of their scriptures, would you do the same with Christianity?

There may very well be things are worth to criticize within Islamic theology and religion. However, we must be careful and try to understand their religion as a system, which means understanding the scriptures as it was understood by the teachers of Islam.

One issue I would have with Islam is that an allergorical reading of some of the passages would be troublesome for them. Primarily because the Quran is the ultimate revelation within Islam. Early Christianity read the atrocities of the Old testament allegorically because the Bible is not the revelation of Christianity, Christ is, and the Bible was only useful insofar as its scriptures were opened and Christ held the key to the scriptures.

Krsto

Pugh Report just out:

Among U.S. Muslims, 81% say suicide bombing or other forms of violence against civilians in the name of Islam are never justified. And the new study finds the global median for Muslims who agree on that is 72%.

However, the report finds, "substantial minorities in several countries say such acts of violence are at least sometimes justified, including 26% of Muslims in Bangladesh, 29% in Egypt, 39% in Afghanistan and 40% in the Palestinian territories.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you quote the passages where it does so?

I can.

Qur'an (8:39) - “And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism: i.e. worshipping others besides Allah) and the religion will all be for Allah Alone [in the whole of the world ]. But if they cease (worshipping others besides Allah), then certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what they do.”

Qur'an (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Qur'an (9:5) "But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them...

Qur'an (2:193) - "And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion be only for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.

Do you all love copy and paste as much as I do?

Matthew 10

13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Yet that retard Tinark thinks the all powerful God should be more like "allah" or something. Becaue the God of the Bible will not force you to love him.

bybee

Didn't think so. :)

"The Quran contains at least 109 verses that call Mulims to war with non believers. Some are quite graphic with commands to chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding. Muslims who do not join in the fight are called hypocrites and warned that Allah will send them to Hell if they do not join in the slaughter. Quran:2:191-193 and slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution of Muslims is worse than slaughter of non believers. Also Suras: 2:244; 2:216; 3:56; 3:151; 4:74; 4:95; 5:33; and 8:12; I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefor strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"....Quoted from "The Religion of Peace.com home page".

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 3rd, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage terrorism by it's adherents?

Islam by its very tenets encourages terrorism. Here is a sampling of quotes from the Qur'an

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there are 20 steadfast men among you, they shall vanquish 200; and if there are a hundred, they shall rout a thousand unbelievers, for they are devoid of understanding. - 8:65

O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. - 9:73

Muhammad is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. Through them, Allah seeks to enrage the unbelievers. - 48:29

source

If you look at the source, there are far more quotes than these that I cited. Islam is no religion of peace. Islam is no friend to non-Muslims.