toldailytopic: The HUGE rush to buy guns and ammo, what's motivating it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 26th, 2013 10:29 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 26th, 2013 10:29 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

People understand that there are powers withing the government who would disarm the public if they could.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They couldn't disarm us if they tried. Barn door's been open for a while. And they don't need to.

The rush is driven by misplaced fear, paranoia, and a kind of weird gun subculture that fetishizes, obsesses, and glorifies gun ownership at the expense of virtually every other topic.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not within your government! :D

Do you not thinks its concern of potential gun policy, or fear from events such as the boston bombing?

Some perhaps, but there are many who think Obama is the boogie man and want to get all they can before he gets too much power. not me though. I actually sold a rifle when the prices went up. They will come down.

LKmommy

Concern that only thugs will have the guns and the current proposed limitations and bans on the stuff.

Have you seen the backorder lists, unreal...they can not even tell you when it will be fufilled.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The rush is driven by misplaced fear, paranoia, and a kind of weird gun subculture that fetishizes, obsesses, and glorifies gun ownership at the expense of virtually every other topic.

Yes and no...

:think: There is most definetly an element to that which is true. The mass buying which has wiped the shelves of just about every type of firearm (Including those which are in no danger of a ban whatsoever at the present time.) is testament to that.

The rush to buy weapons with large capacity magazines though is based on the fear that some people have that if they don't get it now they never will be able to...So much so that they wind up paying exhorbitant amounts for them at times. The sad thing is that many of these people would otherwise never have had the desire to get one if they were not told that soon they may not be able to (some people are just like that). :idunno:

Ammunition is another story because it's not just the panic buying of the hoarders which is generating the problem...The DHS is hoarding. Why? I don't know. I can list several reasons which vary in probablity right off the top of my head but this would be a thread in itself which would quickly be overrun with conspiracy theories. :chuckle:

As usual...The true answer to the OP is not a single cause but rather a storm of different situations being brought to a central point.

This Charming Manc

You know me massive proponent of effective gun control, however I don't think Obama has the influence to do anything worthwhile.

It seems like so many people have the connection that no guns means no freedom, which if look at the world blatantly isn't true, but due to the connection made in the 2nd amendment persuading some people of that is nigh on impossible.

Some perhaps, but there are many who think Obama is the boogie man and want to get all they can before he gets too much power. not me though. I actually sold a rifle when the prices went up. They will come down.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
My wife wants to buy a gun now and learn to shoot. She's done it before but wants to get into it now. I have several she can use, but she wants to buy her own just to do it. :) Hoping to steer her toward .357/.38sp 'cause I'm pretty stocked up for reloading those.

Granite

Hall of Fame
My wife wants to buy a gun now and learn to shoot. She's done it before but wants to get into it now. I have several she can use, but she wants to buy her own just to do it. :) Hoping to steer her toward .357/.38sp 'cause I'm pretty stocked up for reloading those.

I highly recommend the Smith & Wesson Airweight. Best concealed carry out there, far as I'm concerned.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I highly recommend the Smith & Wesson Airweight. Best concealed carry out there, far as I'm concerned.

That is exactly my thought. Either .357 or .38, and I'd get her .38+p's for carry.

My favorite to carry by far is my S&W 340pd, kicks really bad with mags, but awesome to just throw in a pants pocket, super light. Forget it's there.

GuySmiley

The popular story is the Dept of Homeland Security's big ammo order. But that order was supposedly for 9mm and 10mm. That doesnt explain .45, .44, .38, .22, etc etc.

I think its like people going to the store and buying all the milk because a snow storm is coming. Its stupid. Just panic because of the political climate.