Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: How do you celebrate Earth Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbarian,
    I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?
    Proverbs 17:19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin

Comment

Originally posted by exminister View Post
      Barbarian,
      I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?
      It's putting more energy into the system, which can cause somewhat unpredictable effects. For example, the jet stream over North America has been on the move. Last year it was really high, causing unseasonable warmth and lack of rainfall in many areas. This year it's dipped very low and allowed a huge amount of precipitation. This reversed the drought and has now put us under flood conditions and left us with a cool spring.

There has been research tying this year's particular pattern to sea ice loss in the arctic.

Arctic amplification
      “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

- The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

Comment

Originally posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
        Bad governance in general allows pollution to continue. Unrestrained capitalism does it just as well, if not better.

I mean when your river catches on fire . . .
        Cuyahoga river Ohio

Valley of the Drums (Kentucky)

The Great Smog of 1952 (London) - at least 4000 people died from this one.
        “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

- The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

Comment

The college of Geosciences that i am part of at the university I attend had an earth day celebration today. Me and another senior student gave presentations based on our senior thesis's. I also won an 250 scholarship from a rock and mineral society that gives our college these awards every year.

Comment

I had a bon fire.
            Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies.
            Hávamál, st. 127

Comment

Originally posted by xAvarice View Post
              I thought one of the main parts of being Christian is looking after the Earth... this thread is strange. But it shows you that you know it has an affect, which is why you're doing it in spite.

Silly silly.
              No, they think they will get a new one so they aren't worried.

Comment

Praise God that He gave a nice place to live with awesome natural resources to enjoy and beautiful things to look at.

But then that would be everyday, not just once a year...
                sigpic

Comment

Barbarian,
                  Yes, part of warming can be cooling also, if you melt ice and it causes higher water levels, there is more water to absorb heat, rather than reflect it...

I prefer climate change so you don't get the idiot saying but it still snows.

Edit: Only the top of ice will reflect heat, not all of it... if you melt part of it away, you lose no reflection but gain water level. (Not sure that's currently accepted science, just my thoughts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

Think of how difficult it must be to leave an ice age due to the freezing... causes more freezing.

I'm going to try and find instances of heating caused by the ice age, see if it works in reverse.

Comment

Barbarian,
                    The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000. So yes, it's warming. But due to local effects, it doesn't always mean warmer for any particular place. For example, if the Arctic ice melts quickly, it could disrupt the Gulf stream, which warms Northern Europe, and make that part of the world colder.

So "Climate Change" is probably more accurate, even though the data continue to show increased warming on a global scale.
                    This message is hidden because ...

Comment

Originally posted by xAvarice View Post
                      I thought one of the main parts of being Christian is looking after the Earth...
                      What does that have to do with honoring the creator instead of the creation?
                      Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Comment

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                        The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.
                        You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.
                        Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Comment

Originally posted by Nick M View Post
                          You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.
                          So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?

Comment

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                            The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.
                            When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years? When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940, these cherry picked high years don't seem all that startling at all. It was also warmer during the early part of the holocene than it is today. I don't remember there being any SUV's and coal burning power plants around at that time.

Comment

When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years?
                              Well, let's take a look.
                              1994 38
                              1995 56
                              1996 48
                              1997 53
                              1998 82
                              1999 57
                              2000 55
                              2001 67
                              2002 78
                              2003 77
                              2004 68
                              2005 87
                              2006 76
                              2007 85
                              2008 64
                              2009 78
                              2010 91
                              2011 77
                              2012 74
                              http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta..._v3/GLB.Ts.txt

The regression line for the data shows the slope to be about 1.86, a strong upward trend. The regression equation is 44.87+1.856x where x is the year with 1994 being year 4. Would you like me to show you the line graph? It's very clear.

When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940
                              Hmm... nope....

As you can see, the difference between 1900 and 1940 was about 0.2 degrees Celsius while the difference between 1940 and 2000 was over 0.5 degrees Celsius.

these cherry picked high years
                              As you see, the cherry picked year was 1998, which was a very hot year. Deniers have been continuously pushing back the number of years, in order to cherry pick that one. But it's no good. Even I allow you that bit of cherry-picking, it won't help you. Would you like to see the regression analysis for just 15 years? BTW, you probably meant "15 years"; the data for 2013 isn't in yet, and so "16 years" would put the much cooler 1997 data in play, and make your one big year in the 90s, less impressive.
                              Last edited by The Barbarian; April 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusha View Post
                                So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?
                                He's a scared little guy with a lot of anger to manage. And facts make him cross-eyed with fury.

Edit: I just got another whiny negative rep from (guess who).
                                Last edited by The Barbarian; April 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X