toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 2nd, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I tend to believe in eventual annihilationism as being in keeping with God's revelation of Himself in Scripture.

not4sure

I believe in Eternal Punishment. The term Eternal Torment distorts the view. This is a judicial action not a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Please change the options otherwise your question needs an OTHER.

Alate_One

I don't think the Bible is entirely clear on this issue. I think eternal torment derives from the Greek idea of an immortal indestructible soul, rather than scripture. I lean towards annihilationism, also partly because CS Lewis did.

dreadknought

Everlasting/Eternal punishment

Matthew 25:46

"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." NASB

bybee

Everlasting/Eternal punishment

"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." NASB

Matthew 25:46

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I wonder if being dissolved into "The Lake of Fire" means the loss of self into the nothingness of the fire? That is a place where God no longer invests Himself?

dreadknought

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I wonder if being dissolved into "The Lake of Fire" means the loss of self into the nothingness of the fire? That is a place where God no longer invests Himself?
The young folk and myself have pondered upon this a bit as well. Just to spifball a thought I can remember: for the unrighteous in the lake of fire, they could have their unrighteous' desire to sin, yet have no outlet to sin........ so in essence, they stew in their own desire to sin, without having the ability to commit the act.

bybee

The young folk and myself have pondered upon this a bit as well. Just to spifball a thought I can remember: for the unrighteous in the lake of fire, they could have their unrighteous' desire to sin, yet have no outlet to sin........ so in essence, they stew in their own desire to sin, without having the ability to commit the act.

That is a new way to look at it for me.
I wonder, though, if the absence of God doesn't make the desire to sin pointless?
In the absence of God I don't think anything can exist.
But then, what about Satan?

not4sure

I look it as a giant Gumbo Pot.

442868882_7a10c58e71_z.jpg

Doormat

Annihilationism.

2 Peter 3:1-13

1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

Peter's understanding of the Day of the Lord that he learned directly from Christ is confirmed by the words of the prophets.

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

Jesus said, "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (Mt 24:37). This time instead of water, the world will be destroyed by fire.

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

The fire on the Day of the Lord annihilates the wicked (Mal 4:1).

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God wants the wicked to turn from their evil (Eze 33:11).

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Paul also taught the Day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night and that the wicked will be destroyed on that day (1Th 5:1-4).

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

IMJerusha

I happen to like gumbo. I don't really understand the differences. It seems to me that Scripture says there will be eternal punishment, which is torment, so I hold with that.

Doormat

Eternal punishment is punishment from which there is no reprieve. Once you're gone, you're gone, i.e. annihilation.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I come from a position of one who believes in a wider mercy, a BILLIONfold wider mercy than is commonly believed by Protestants...I doesn't BELIEVE billions of human souls will be in hell.

The wicked will be in hell, and they will deserve to be...Who is sufficient or wise enough to judge?

The devil is unbelievably wicked beyond all imagination, but some who are practised in his ways become unbelievably wicked. If punishment is not eternal as the word of God says, why should any believe that salvation will be eternal as the word of God says?

Only God sees the inner person of the human heart.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I tend to believe in eventual annihilationism as being in keeping with God's revelation of Himself in Scripture.
What Scriptures lead you to this conclusion?

I believe in Eternal Punishment. The term Eternal Torment distorts the view. This is a judicial action not a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Please change the options otherwise your question needs an OTHER.
Torment can be internal; i.e. they torment themselves over their rejection of God

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Eternal torment; same reason I believe in eternal life for the believer. The Bible says so. Passages have already been posted by others.

God created man to be eternal, and it is only because man sinned that was lost in the physical; but He never allowed for the soul to be annihilated, else He would do so to Lucy.