toldailytopic: Does a person need to go to church to be a Christian?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Going the church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car. It is a condition of the heart. Going the church is beneficial to the Christian. It makes him a better Christian--but it doesn't make him a Christian. The advice given in Hebrews 10:25 is sound advice.
..not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

The only requirement to become a Christian is quite simple. It is found in Acts 16:31

So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Going the church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car. It is a condition of the heart. Going the church is beneficial to the Christian. It makes him a better Christian--but it doesn't make him a Christian. The advice given in Hebrews 10:25 is sound advice.
..not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

The only requirement to become a Christian is quite simple. It is found in Acts 16:31

So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

^ that

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Depends.. is your goal to be a better person or to fit in better with the peer pressure of a particular church group.

I find that I am a much better and happier christian, and tend to spread the gospel more when I have freedom and am not weighed down by the guilt that all groups tend to put on their members. My goal is to please Jesus.. not my pastor or fellow church goers.

I meet a lot with my christian friends.. we discuss scripture and what is going on in each others families and whether we can help or not. We also discuss what more we can do for the community, etc.

Since, i have adopted this approach, I have had more people approach me and ask me why I do things with such cheer and why i spend so much time helping others in the community. Its a great opportunity to be a witness, which arose from my actions, not what I am preaching.

Do you honestly think spending 6-8 hours a week in church functions is actually doing God's work honors Jesus? Seriously, churches have so many activities these days that they become closed communities and could care less outside their little bubbles.
I'm glad that you have found a place that you like and is beneficial to you. But you shouldn't assume that it's the only way to be a growing, happy, loving, serving Christian.

Also, I would still call what you do "going to church" because you are having fellowship with other Christians. It's more of a bible study/small group than an official church service, but the basics are there.

keypurr

I notice a that some of our lady friends are showing guns. Is that a sign that we better not dispute their faith?

No, going to church is not needed if you have enough faith. When I was working, 6-10 of us would sit together at lunch and pray and discuss theology. We were from different churches but we were close. No one ever object to a view that was not theirs. That is the real church, sharing and caring. I still share with some of thoes guys even though I have not seen them in years.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wherever they are, they are the church. It's good, satisfying, needful, edifying, and GOD glorifying, to meet together. We are not saved by assembling nor do we keep our salvation by assembling. Assembling is for fellowship, learning, ministering, and praising GOD.

:first:

I couldn't have said it better.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I notice a that some of our lady friends are showing guns. Is that a sign that we better not dispute their faith?

"Anyone gets hit, sing out. Slap iron to it. It's the fastest way to stop the blood."

StanJ53

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 15th, 2013 06:00 AM

Does a person need to go to church to be a Christian?

Short answer: NO

When a person becomes a Christian they become part of the church(body of Christ). However there is an admonition in scripture to avoid the bad habit of NOT assembling together. Heb 10:24-25.
Many things our carnal nature is want to do, is NOT good for our Christian walk, but nothing makes us a Christian but confessing Christ as Savior.
NOTHING!
:cool:

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 15th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nope. How's that for verbosity?