toldailytopic: Does a person need to go to church to be a Christian?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 15th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

no but you need to go to church to get better
and
you will get worse
if
you don't go

For me, I've tried it both ways and find that I am a more focused christian as I worship in the fellowship of the church. We follow an "Ordo" calendar or regular scripture reading and pondering and work our way through the bible.
Also, I sing in the choir.
I like the feeling of familiarity of attending the same church regularly and seeing the same faces and watching children grow up.
In fact, I love my church!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't attend church regularly. I wish I could. But, I don't think it's necessary to go to church to be a Christian. Fellowshipping with other Christians helps to keep you strong in the faith, though. I do that somewhat regularly. We go out to lunch or dinner, discuss matters of faith, discuss everyday life, etc...

The Glory Land

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 15th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This is a tricky question? It's like saying if you don't vote, you're not a politician. :think:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I rather label it 'assemble together' or 'go to assembly', rather than 'go to church'.
Believers are 'the church/the eklesia/the called out'. Wherever they are, they are the church. It's good, satisfying, needful, edifying, and GOD glorifying, to meet together. We are not saved by assembling nor do we keep our salvation by assembling. Assembling is for fellowship, learning, ministering, and praising GOD. Sometimes....many times, it's difficult to find a group of believers with whom one feels peace to assemble with. We must simply do the best we can. Sometimes that means just meeting with one other person, sometimes several..... in the home, in the woods, in a corner, on a roof top, wherever.
I spend four hours every Sunday night teaching in a county jail. The church is there. I find fellowship and feel/know I've missed something when, for some reason I miss it. I also meet with a group of men during the week for lengthy Bible study. Then there's Sunday morning, which most of the time doesn't satisfy like the other times.

oatmeal

Absolutely not!

Church in Greek- ekklesia - called out.

the church is the people, not a location.

"Believers do not go to church,

they are the church." Rev. Mullins

oatmeal

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's important.

Matthew 18:20

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

Colossians 3:16
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."

Acts 2:1

"When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place."

Etc etc etc

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A person who believes in God and Jesus Christ His Son, and has been born again, ought to have fellowship with others. "Going to church" provides an opportunity for this.

The need for fellowship.

Hebrews 10:24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,

Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

HisServant

Christians should meet together.. in their homes.. not in churches built with money that is better suited to help the poor.

This Charming Manc

Does a fish have to swim in the sea to be fish?

Nope, but it is what a fish is meant to do....

does that make sense ?

NB. church is where two or three are gathered ....... not a building with a man in a frock

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

No, but fellowship with other believers in His name keeps us strong in the faith.

Does a person need to have homosexual behavior to be gay?
Yes. So this is not at all comparable.:nono:

Christians should meet together.. in their homes.. not in churches built with money that is better suited to help the poor.
Okay, Judas.

But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said, “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
-John 12:4-6

Does a fish have to swim in the sea to be fish?

Nope, but it is what a fish is meant to do....

does that make sense ?

NB. church is where two or three are gathered ....... not a building with a man in a frock
Except that fish will die if out of water long enough; and that isn't very long at all.

HisServant

what he
said

:up:

Depends.. is your goal to be a better person or to fit in better with the peer pressure of a particular church group.

I find that I am a much better and happier christian, and tend to spread the gospel more when I have freedom and am not weighed down by the guilt that all groups tend to put on their members. My goal is to please Jesus.. not my pastor or fellow church goers.

I meet a lot with my christian friends.. we discuss scripture and what is going on in each others families and whether we can help or not. We also discuss what more we can do for the community, etc.

Since, i have adopted this approach, I have had more people approach me and ask me why I do things with such cheer and why i spend so much time helping others in the community. Its a great opportunity to be a witness, which arose from my actions, not what I am preaching.

Do you honestly think spending 6-8 hours a week in church functions is actually doing God's work honors Jesus? Seriously, churches have so many activities these days that they become closed communities and could care less outside their little bubbles.