toldailytopic: If you were forced to be in a battle-to-the-death game (Hunger Games s

Cruciform

Yeah Jesus weas joking when he said turn the other cheek......
Since the situation under discussion does not involve suffering for the Christian faith---which is what Jesus was specifically addressing---His statement about turning the other cheek doesn't apply here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd let them shoot me.

It was a banal film.

faramir77

The last Major Motion Feature Film I viewed in a cinema was 'The 300' (which rocked hard, btw) but I keep hearing pop-culture allusions to this film you've mentioned among the familiar strangers that inhabit the world which parallels mine.
Sounds like Hollywood Disease to me.

to be honest with you, if God didn't outlaw murder, i could think of several dozen highly placed power moguls whom i'd hunt, capture then strangle the life out of. (after of course, giving them the choice to repent then renounce Satan and his works)

This Charming Manc

lol the amount of bare faced lies Christians come out with when trying to step round that scripture .............

Just where in the verses preceeding Matthew 5:38 does Jesus limit these verse to when you suffer for the Christian faith?

Since the situation under discussion does not involve suffering for the Christian faith---which is what Jesus was specifically addressing---His statement about turning the other cheek doesn't apply here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

faramir77

...if i could be the one totally anomous guy forgotten by history who slayed the devil himself, and knowing, i'd perish in the process; i'd hack that evil f'krs head in a heart beat _even if by my sacrifice i'd burn in hell forevermore.
for the freedom of multitudes, i'd still gladly consider it an Honor to be tormented by the most high for an contradictrary act of God.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
lol the amount of bare faced lies Christians come out with when trying to step round that scripture .............

Just where in the verses preceeding Matthew 5:38 does Jesus limit these verse to when you suffer for the Christian faith?
If you were so angry at someone as to slap them on their cheek and they turned to you the other one, would you not be more furious?

Therefore“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
-Romans 12:20

Cruciform

lol the amount of bare faced lies Christians come out with when trying to step round that scripture...

We cannot easily go against the natural law of self preservation. The Catechism teaches us that "one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's."
2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow... Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.
Jesus did not literally give the other cheek:
"And when he had said these things, one of the servants standing by gave Jesus a blow, saying: 'Answerest thou the high priest so?' Jesus answered him: 'If I have spoken evil, give testimony of the evil; but if well, why strikest thou me?'" (John 18:22-23).​
Neither did St. Paul:
"And the high priest, Ananias, commanded them that stood by him to strike him on the mouth. Then Paul said to him: 'God shall strike thee, thou whited wall. For, sittest thou to judge me according to the law and, contrary to the law, commandest me to be struck?'" (Acts 23:2-3).​
The Doctors of the Church explained this to us:
As, when we read in the Gospel, "Thou hast received a blow in the face, make ready the other cheek." Now as an example of patience can none be found than that of the Lord Himself more potent and excellent; but He, when smitten on the cheek, said not, Behold here is the other cheek, but He said, "If I have spoken ill, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why smitest thou Me?"Where He shows that the preparation of the other cheek is to be done in the heart. Which also the Apostle Paul knew. for he, too, when he was smitten on the face before the high priest, did not say, Smite the other cheek: but, "God," saith he, "shall smite thee, thou whited wall: and sittest thou to judge me according to law, and contrary to law commandest me to be smitten?" ~ St. Augustine, On Lying
I answer that, Just as we need patience in things done against us, so do we need it in those said against us. Now the precepts of patience in those things done against us refer to the preparedness of the mind, according to Augustine's (De Sermone Domini in Monte i,19) exposition on our Lord's precept, "If one strike thee on thy right cheek, turn to him also the other": that is to say, a man ought to be prepared to do so if necessary. But he is not always bound to do this actually: since not even did our Lord do so, for when He received a blow, He said: "Why strikest thou Me?" (John 18:23). Consequently the same applies to the reviling words that are said against us. For we are bound to hold our minds prepared to submit to be reviled, if it should be expedient. Nevertheless it sometimes behooves us to withstand against being reviled, and this chiefly for two reasons. First, for the good of the reviler; namely, that his daring may be checked, and that he may not repeat the attempt, according to Proverbs 26:5, "Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he imagine himself to be wise." Secondly, for the good of many who would be prevented from progressing in virtue on account of our being reviled. Hence Gregory says (Hom. 9 super Ezech.): "Those who are so placed that their life should be an example to others, ought, if possible, to silence their detractors, lest their preaching be not heard by those who could have heard it, and they continue their evil conduct through contempt of a good life." ~ St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, "Treatise on the Cardinal Virtues" Q72, A3

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
If you were so angry at someone as to slap them on their cheek and they turned to you the other one, would you not be more furious?

So it's OK to heap actual coals of fire on their head? :freak:

Wouldn't it be more humane to just shoot them?

Thunder's Muse

In a situation like this, the adrenalin would put you in a fight or flight mode. You'd be reacting purely on instinct. Sometimes that instinct would tell you to hide, other times it would tell you to fight.

Charity

scripture For the benefit of Government an courts of Law, they still can"T rule an Judge efficiently. Numbers are their enemy. an Life has been slapped silly by A CLEAVER Roman government system