toldailytopic: Should churches be tax-exempt?

OriginalOatmeal

Yeah, you talk to Rod Parsley about that!

This is specifically what the I.R.S. code states regarding 501(c)(3) corporations:

"To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

Therefore, holding a 501c3 prevents preaching for or against anything morally wrong politically. Speaking out against Planned Parenthood, abortion or homosexuality at a church holding a 501c3 labels that church an action organization in violation. So the church is effectively gagged by that exempt status. Churches aren't required to file for 501c3 so I don't know why they do.

I disagree.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

This is specifically what the I.R.S. code states regarding 501(c)(3) corporations:

"To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

Therefore, holding a 501c3 prevents preaching for or against anything morally wrong politically. Speaking out against Planned Parenthood, abortion or homosexuality at a church holding a 501c3 labels that church an action organization in violation. So the church is effectively gagged by that exempt status. Churches aren't required to file for 501c3 so I don't know why they do.

I disagree.

As do I.

In essence what IMJ is saying is because abortion and homsexuality are now legal, that a pastor can't talk about those sins (which are in the Bible that he preaches from) because he holds a 501c3 tax status.

Pastors can and do speak out against immoral laws enacted by government, in fact they can talk freely about certain inititiatives that are on the ballot, but they can't endorse a political candidate unless...

it's B. Hussein Obama that they're endorsing.

barack_obama_church_state_poster1.jpg

fool

Hall of Fame
Not necessarily. A 30% income tax on a $50,000/yr income is going to hurt a lot more than 30% on a $200,000/yr income. It's unsurprising that the politicians advocating a flat tax usually aren't in the $40-60,000/yr income range.

Bad argument!
That's what the standard deduction is for.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Yes.

And so should every non-person.

Tax should only be levied on personal income at a flat rate.

Simple. Fair. Easy to police. Keeps the politicians to a strict budget.

I don't know why that wasn't in your constitution. :plain:
Our original Constitution prohibited income taxes. That was changed by the Sixteenth Amendment.

More's the pity.

Granite

Hall of Fame

:doh:

Because otherwise, they'd be taxed. And by the way, speaking out against PP, or abortion, or homosexuality doesn't void your 501c(3) status. This is a complete, bald-faced lie. I don't understand why people continue to believe this.

Granite

Hall of Fame
A better question might be why religious institutions should, or think they should be, exempt.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
O.K., I'll buy that when all groups such as the ACLU, Media Matters, Greenpeace, or any politically active group gets the same treatment, in fact if you are going to end tax-free status for churches than all groups should be dropped from tax-free status, nobody gets a free ride, tax them all.

Agree :thumb: