toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank di

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 11th, 2013 09:42 AM

toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank disobedient children?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. I don't think that public or private schools should have that kind of authority. If the kids misbehave, call the parents to the school to spank the kids.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
No. I don't think that public or private schools should have that kind of authority. If the kids misbehave, call the parents to the school to spank the kids.

Punishment is most effective when it's administered promptly

Can you imagine the nuns in an old style Catholic school waiting for the parents to come in and rap a few knuckles with rulers?

Quincy

No, I don't think it should be there. Mainly because I believe every child reacts differently to it. Some children may be more reponsive to authority and they may conform as a result of the punishment. Other children, not so much.

All children are not the obedient type and need different means to coerce them. I was one of the children who got spanked at school and at home constantly and all it did was just drive me to out smart the authority figures in my life. It just made me very angry at authority, nothing positive came of it. I've always been about doing my own thing, doing things my way I guess. So I had many many nights growing up where I just would just lay in bed scheming and making plans. Especially after so called "punishment" .

I would have been a lot better off with people reasoning with me to tell me why I shouldn't do this or that, than merely spanking me and just saying it's wrong. That just made me angry. Discipling a child should be catered to that child's personality and what they need. There is no one trick pony for everyone.

Buzzword

No. Let the school administer its appropriate punishment (usually some level of privilege removal), then let the parents administer corporal punishment (if they so wish) after the kid gets home.

When I was a kid, you got a disciplinary slip to be signed by a parent after your punishment at school had been administered.

I always got a spanking when bringing a slip home, and never had any question what the punishment was for.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Can you imagine the nuns in an old style Catholic school waiting for the parents to come in and rap a few knuckles with rulers?

No. I've never been in a Catholic school. The Christian school we put my daughter in when she was younger would sit the kid in the office with a notebook and a pen/pencil, writing why they did whatever it was that they did while waiting for the parent/s to come take care of the discipline. It worked in that school.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Being that I attended a private school as well as later worked at the SAME private school, I am fine with corporate punishment when administered under the right circumstances and guidelines.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 11th, 2013 09:42 AM

toldailytopic: Do you support corporal punishment in schools? Should schools spank disobedient children?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

If parents are the kind of parents they SHOULD be, there would be no need for this type of punishment in schools.

When parents fail in the home, educators are forced to take on roles that they should never have to take on.

It is parents, and not public educators, who are responsible for the moral upbringing of their children. They should teach them to behave and expect them to listen.

When children cause problems in school, it is the fault of the parents.

People often say to me, "You are so blessed to have well-behaved children. I wish mine were like yours."

This is nonsense. My children, while I love them and would do ANYTHING for them, are no different from others. I have tried to raise them well. I have brought them up to respect their elders, to stand for truth, to not shy away from their convictions, and to seek out those in need of love and support.

I have taught them to love and respect God and themselves.

It is the parents' responsibility to raise their children as good members of society.

Allowing children to get away with anything they want, in order to be their "friends" and make them like you, causes a great disadvantage to the children when they grow up.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
No way! my children hardly ever got into trouble at school but at one point in our district the school had phones installed in the classrooms and the "unruly" children had to call their parents and I guess tell them about some incident that happend. One day my son was forced to call me about some stupid playground incident. I went to the school met with his teacher and told her that "he was not allowed to use the class phone again". :chuckle: I raise my children! no one else.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think corporal punishment in schools blurs the line too much between roles. There's a time and place for punishment--and frankly I'm not completely sold on corporal punishment, anyway--but administering a spanking at school strikes me as inappropriate.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I think corporal punishment in schools blurs the line too much between roles. There's a time and place for punishment--and frankly I'm not completely sold on corporal punishment, anyway--but administering a spanking at school strikes me as inappropriate.

I don't understand how it would play out at school. What would they have some sort of "spanking room"? what kind of weapon should we let the teachers use? Not to mention the emotional abuse of child returning from the "spanking room" to a class only to carry on as if they had not just been totally violated by someone in public.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't understand how it would play out at school. What would they have some sort of "spanking room"? what kind of weapon should we let the teachers use? Not to mention the emotional abuse of child returning from the "spanking room" to a class only to carry on as if they had not just been totally violated by someone in public.

Yep ... at my school it was done in the Superintendents office. She used a wooden paddle and ALWAYS had a member of staff witness the paddling.

Parents were required to sign a waiver stating that they understood and permitted for the school administrators to use corporal punishment.

We lived ... and most students learned not to do a repeat performance.

Oh and FTR, I actually worked at the same school during high school and ended up being one of the *witnesses* to this punishment. No abuse ... and quickly done and over with.

PureX

No. The potential for abuse, and the damage it does is not worth the dubious benefit that might be gained.

Also, we live in a culture that is in love with the idea of violence as the solution to "problem people". It's the reason we kill ourselves and each other a hundred times more often than people in other cultures and countries. And we need to make an effort not to continue teaching this destructive nonsense to our children.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
As a counterpoint, I worked in a failing inner city school a few years ago where the administration didn't have a clue about discipline.

Doormat

Can you imagine the nuns not getting to wait until confessional but instead having the priests spank them in front of their classroom for their sins?

Oh wait. They don't get spanked for their misbehavior. :think:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Nuns don't misbehave

nun1.jpg

Buzzword

My first elementary school principal kept a cricket bat-sized paddle (at least it seemed that large to me at the time) hanging on the wall of his office.

I never understood what offenses merited that punishment, since all the fights I got into just landed me in In-School Suspension (I.S.S.), and a spanking at home, of course.