toldailytopic: What were your best and worst subjects in school?

IMJerusha

<snip>
College Worst: Algebra (after failing twice and being told I probably have a learning disability I gave up and did Computer Science instead)

I'm so sick of that miserable excuse for lousy teaching. What a line of hooey!
Our colleges are rife with professors who have no care for the differences within the human brain from one person to another. Rather than consider the opportunity for variant teaching, they stick a person with a negative label and call it quits.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What were your best and worst subjects in school?

Best: American history, mechanical drawing, shop classes.

Worst: Phys Ed, advanced math, science.
Number two.

Best: Bible courses. Back in the late 80's early 90's, Moody Bible Institute and an extension school in Denver, the had purchased the the Woolworth building on 16th Street in downtown Denver. Woolworth remained as it was and Moody occupied the upper floors with a few class rooms and other needed MBI offices.

I took 12 courses and passed with high marks, the courses were helpful and proved valuable over the years.

Unfortunately MBI realized that this out of Chicago venture was costing more than it was worth, so they sold the building and packed up and went back to Chicago to continue on with the Chicago school uninterrupted, which the upper floors were unoccupied, but Wollworth reamined until closed it's doors a few year later.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Except for spelling, I tested well no matter the subject. If I had assignments outside of classroom hours; I was going to fail the course.

Boy does that sound familiar! I had a government class my senior year. I aced every test the man gave including the final exam. Ended up with a C- in the class.

Dena

I'm so sick of that miserable excuse for lousy teaching. What a line of hooey!
Our colleges are rife with professors who have no care for the differences within the human brain from one person to another. Rather than consider the opportunity for variant teaching, they stick a person with a negative label and call it quits.

She seemed pretty nice. Oh how I loathed those classes. I always thought I had the answer correct...but they were often wrong. I had no problem with the computer science and later I did quite well with statistics.

Dena

Boy does that sound familiar! I had a government class my senior year. I aced every test the man gave including the final exam. Ended up with a C- in the class.

I did well in my Art History class but ended up with an F because the professor gave me a 0 on the only paper we wrote the entire semester. I forgot to site the Bible as a source. It lowered my G.P.A which irritates me to no end. She had another student literally crying and begging her to let him make it up (she did the same to him) and she flat out refused. I'd feel ripped off that I put so much effort into my exams but I did learn quite a bit about art. I actually enjoyed it.

She lasted two semesters.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My biggest issue in school was lazy teachers who didn't grade the work; I don't know what was worse, the ones who just gave you credit if it looked you had done it when they walked by your desk or the ones who had the other students grade it.

I actually got recommended for a lower math class my Freshman year by my 8th grade pre-algebra teacher because I had a low grade; but she had no idea that the only reason for that is because I didn't put the variables in my answers most of the time, because she never looked at the assignments. I always had the right answer, though. And if she hadn't been lazy she would have known that and maybe she could have gotten me to correct my minor error by giving some attention.

IMJerusha

She seemed pretty nice. Oh how I loathed those classes. I always thought I had the answer correct...but they were often wrong. I had no problem with the computer science and later I did quite well with statistics.

Make no mistake. I'm not casting aspersions on the woman. She was a product of that which she is perpetuating. That's the best way I can describe it. Teaching requires the ability to vary the flow of information to accommodate the learning abilities of different students. My son is having the same issue in his College Algebra course and he's extremely intelligent. In his case, however, the information needs to be administered differently because he processes information differently as do many people. A lot of people would say that can't be done when it comes to Math as the facts and principles/equations don't change but that's not true. Methods of delivery can always be varied.

One Eyed Jack

I was best in math and science. I wasn't really bad at anything. I probably got the worst grades in English, because I never did any homework. I didn't care -- as long as I aced the tests, I figured I had learned what I was supposed to learn.

Dena

I was not the kind of kid to just not do my homework. I always did it. Of course, if we didn't we would get detention which I did not particularly enjoy. I did most of the homework in college too.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

The bureaucracy likes lots of grades, so we can sort out the winners and the losers. Teachers aren't all that happy with it. My district is coming around to embrace a lot of formative assessments, just enough testing to determine whether or not the kid got the essential knowledge and skills, and pass them if they know what they are supposed to know. My principal has always nodded when I presented him with the case of kids who don't do homework but ace tests. I always passed them regardless of their work.

You would have thrived in that environment, Delmar. I get a lot of "these kids aren't learning a work ethic." Which I suppose might be true, if they weren't working hard enough to get the material. But just maybe, they are smart enough to know how much work they need to do to get it, and aren't about to do more than they need.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I was not the kind of kid to just not do my homework. I always did it. Of course, if we didn't we would get detention which I did not particularly enjoy. I did most of the homework in college too.
Well, it appears your teachers actually cared if you did your homework. Most of mine did not, at least in high school.

I had one teacher who would only occasionally walk around to see if you had done it, and would mark it as complete if the paper on your desk looked like geometry. If not all he would do is mark it as incomplete. No discipline otherwise. So I quit doing the homework and aced all the work he actually did grade; tests, quizzes and handouts that were done in class.