Did the presidential debates change anyone's mind?

eameece

What you have just described is what we have now under Obama's administration.:cry:

No, it was established by Ronald Reagan and his successors over the last 31 years. Obama has not been able to do much to change it, having been given only a few months of a cooperative but very-slow congress. I hope he can change it, but it will be difficult given the Republican Tea Party control of congress. The Republicans want to make the situation much more unequal and immobile than it already is!

WizardofOz

That's a good question. I think the need to cut spending was dictated to us by the Reaganoids and conservatives, who used the supply-side economics policy to cause a huge debt in order to "starve the beast."

Certainly but let's talk modern history ;)

The deficit is real. Spending must be cut. The need to cut spending is now dictated by rather simple math. We're insolvent.

However, Democrats have shown that bureaucracy can be made more efficient.

Efficiency can only be spoken of relative to the level of inefficiency we're dealing with. Do you agree that a dollar taxed to be redistributed can never be a full dollar redistributed?

What have democrats done to show this efficiency (less inefficiency)?

If programs are pork that don't really work, but only benefit politicians, they should be cut. Earmarks should be banned. Many subsidies exist that should be cut. Corporate welfare should be cut. Defense spending should be cut, and the wars ended. So yes, spending should be cut where it makes sense to do so, and the budget should be balanced if possible.

I agree with all of the above. Whether it would be enough is the question....

We can't print (or keystroke) money endlessly. Right now that is not a big issue because inflation is low.

It depends on what measure of inflation you're buying into. When the U.S. Treasury prints $40 billion per month that previously never existed to buy mortgages that have no market value, who gets hurt?

The middle class.

This is more relevant than the incomplete data found in the CPI from the BLS.

image004.gif

or this
MB%2C_M1_and_M2_aggregates_from_1981_to_2012.png

The value of the dollar is going down the toilet. What foreign investors will want to hold it? If a new reserve currency ever gets pushed through, the dollar has had it.

bybee

No, it was established by Ronald Reagan and his successors over the last 31 years. Obama has not been able to do much to change it, having been given only a few months of a cooperative but very-slow congress. I hope he can change it, but it will be difficult given the Republican Tea Party control of congress. The Republicans want to make the situation much more unequal and immobile than it already is!

He had control of both houses for two years. What a bunch of cry babies!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He had control of both houses for two years. What a bunch of cry babies!

Amen! And that needs to be repeated till they understand it. Hard to blame republicans when one realizes that obama had full control for 2 full years.