toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 5th, 2012 10:52 AM

toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common ailments?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cod Liver Oil--works like a charm for controlling fibromyalgia.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Carbs for the "common cold". Immune system for the rest. Never had one of the many flu strands that I know of.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I make a "tea" out of 3/4 cup of hot water, two tablespoonsful of honey, and about 1/4 cup of lemon juice (fill the cup the rest of the way) when I have a sore throat. And, the only thing that helps when I'm really sick is lots of sleep. When I have the flu, I can sleep almost 24 hours straight (getting up to use the restroom and drink honey/lemon water.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've used that honey lemon water when I was sick with a virus. It works.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh and lets not forget crawling into the nice warm bed, getting my favorite alcholic beverage (1 serving) and turning on my wide screen TV. That makes me forget being sick with a cold. I sleep well afterward. :)

Coffee is King

For a stuffed up nose/sinuses, put vicks in a pot of water. Boil the water. After it boils, remove from heat. Place a towel over your head. Then place your towel-covered head over the vicks/water mixture. Works like a charm.

For a sore throat, boil either a beef or chicken bouillon cube in water. Let the water cool, but still stay hot. Drink up!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Chicken soup!

Had heard this for many years and passed it off as a wives tail until last year, caught a cold didn't have any remadies handy but did have a can of chicken soup...it worked! Well, it did for me last year, hopefully it will next time.

Christ's Word

Sleep. Works every time.

Right on. For intestinal and stomach flu, small amounts of food soaked in olive oil on a repeated basis will provide an unattractive environment for many bacteria and viruses, and when followed up with heavy amounts of vinegar and oil on a salad can work wonders. Head colds like salt water sprayed into the sinuses. More serious ailments like liberalism usually prefer thinning of the heard, or hot lead immunizations.:sam: hope you feel better soon Knight!

faramir77

A pathogen can not infect a health immune system.
Hence the term 'immune'.
Therefore, preventive maintenance, my friend. You are what you eat. Garbage in, garbage out and soforth as the sayings go.

Every moment of everyday our bodies fight of millions of invading foreign bodies, quite apart and unbeknownst to the conscious mind. Think about it, when you lacerate a finger, what heals it? the band-aid or the bodys natural healing responce?
See man, medicine only assists our natural healing ability, and that, often times, dispite the toxic poisions physicians perscribe.

The prayer of the righteous shall heal the sick. That and mega-doses of yummy sugar-coated placebos.

Jordan Fontenot

nyquil will fix anything. Cold, flu, indigestion, broken leg, broken heart, paranoia, hearing voices, doens't matter Nyquil does the job.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I never get colds or the flu. I take 10,000 IU's of liquid vitamin D3 every day. Problem solved. It baffles me why everyone doesn't do this.

john w

Hall of Fame
I never get colds or the flu. I take 10,000 IU's of liquid vitamin D3 every day. Problem solved. It baffles me why everyone doesn't do this.

I have not had a cold since July of 2002(which is startling, given the # of chicks that want to "make out" with me).

Megavtiamins-D, B-12,E, Biotin, Multi, C....
Jog every other day.
Don't eat your food at Burger Doodle.......until after you have washed your hands(germs from the paper money).

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I got a humidifier for my room, not sure it does anything for the actual cold but my nose was dry as a popcorn fart and sore from blowing it every 45 seconds for 10 day in a row. The humidity helped a lot for that.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I bought a Neti Pot last winter or the year before. I can't say it made a large difference but I think it did help to some degree. I haven't been sick enough since the last time I used it to use it again.

I have also tried putting my head over a pot of boiling/steaming water. Didn't help much, but I might not have done it in a way to get the maximum effect.

I'm a pretty healthy guy and don't get sick often so I haven't experimented too much with home remedies. Mostly I just try to get extra vitamin C, drink lots of water, stay warm, and get extra sleep.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. :noid:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Does anyone think that their mind can make a difference?

As I said, I am generally pretty healthy but I went through a streak where I seemed to be getting sick more often. And the more I got sick, the more I worried about it and thought about it if I was around sick people, etc. If I felt the slightest twinge in my throat or stuffiness I would immediately think I was getting stick and would try to get extra sleep, etc. But last winter I stopped doing that and I don't think I've really been sick since. All last winter was good and this winter has been good, though we're not really far into it yet.

I don't know exactly what changed my mindset but it seems like it helped. :idunno: Or maybe it is just coincidence and all in my head. There are a couple other things that may be playing a role so it's hard to really know.

I haven't looked too much into psychosomatic medicine and sickness, but I think it is kinda interesting.

:alien: