toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who wil

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 3rd, 2012 09:30 AM

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lovejoy

Backbone, patience, and grace. Or, in my case, a fascination with watching those that lack those attributes spiral out of control.

Honestly, I ever never seen a clear alchemy to it. Humor seems to help. Finding a few friends, the impression of being heard, or, obviously, the impression that one is reaping personal benefit from the discussion. I am sure there have been those that have seen their work have benefit for others.

There also are the clearly and immensely offbeat, who continue to return despite no positive interaction, no intimate connections, and without making a single comprehensible statement. I love those guys! But I don't understand how they continue.

As so much of survival here hinges on outside events (my interaction nearly ended with with the birth of my daughter and the starting of my new career), I cannot always predict who will stay. But I am usually on the mark about those who will go down in flames.

rainee

TOL is an opportunity for others to talk to you and you them on an internet forum and it is big and hopefully easy to find by others...

Most of the time I am hoping some people are reading what I write who may not even have an interest in TOL or be here - but visit to read work on prophecy.

I hope God approves of me being here - but maybe I shouldn't be here?
I don't know - how do people judge these things for themselves?

I think it is a societal mechanism.

You as a leader may be more accountable for it or not? I don't know.
Maybe not. I think you do sacrifice to have it and I have been blessed by being here.

"Surviving" is a troubling word to use.

Who "survives" by definition?

The ones who stay or the ones get to be in a clique?
Or the ones who go on hopefully unscathed and Biblically smarter?

Has TOL been good for Eric?
Has he grown?

Ps
I think if people make friends here on any level even only slightly - it can be seen as good.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Backbone, patience, and grace. Or, in my case, a fascination with watching those that lack those attributes spiral out of control.

Honestly, I ever never seen a clear alchemy to it. Humor seems to help. Finding a few friends, the impression of being heard, or, obviously, the impression that one is reaping personal benefit from the discussion. I am sure there have been those that have seen their work have benefit for others.

There also are the clearly and immensely offbeat, who continue to return despite no positive interaction, no intimate connections, and without making a single comprehensible statement. I love those guys! But I don't understand how they continue.

As so much of survival here hinges on outside events (my interaction nearly ended with with the birth of my daughter and the starting of my new career), I cannot always predict who will stay. But I am usually on the mark about those who will go down in flames.

Yeah, it's like some people here were just released from the sanitarium.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 3rd, 2012 09:30 AM

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

Wisdom, knowing what to say and when to say it. I have been here a year now and have watched. I've done more reading than I have done posting and have made several observations. There are posters that don't blend in and there are posters that do. I will call them the Sore Thumbs and the Assets.

The Sore Thumbs: :down: They have very sharp tongues. They will even attack the Administration. They don't take correction and they will draw a lot of attention to themselves. They are distruptive whiners that often cuss or make vile rude posts. Many of them are thin skinned as well. These behaviors doesn't necessarily favor one particular theology or religion. Many of them are very hot tempered and have tantrums like small children. These folk rack up the bans or some may leave of their own accord. These people over the long run don't survive on TOL.

The Assets: :thumb: These people follow the rules. They are helpful to the Newbies and they show them around the forum. They do debate, sometime heatedly, but they have enough self control not to resort to foul language or namecalling without cause. They support the Administration and abide by their decisions. They also take correction. They are willing to learn from others on how to behave on the board. The most artful posters also belong to this group. They are also even tempered and don't lose their cool. These people will survive on TOL over the long term.

faramir77

one should eventually arrive at a station in life wherein the approval or disapproval of another unfazes them.

the race is only between you and yourself and your sure-a-heck not gunna lay on your deaath-bed worring about the slights and misperceptions of days gone bye.

that, and, 'I'm rubber, and your the glue' *rasperrys*

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Briefly it takes.....a sense of humour (sorry SOJ :plain:), humility, and the ability to let things roll off your back.

It isn't always easy to know who will last.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It's all in the choice of username and avatar. :)

There are a few guidelines:
Anyone with a number in their name is probably a whacko.
Four letters and three digits = banned in record time.
Guys with chicks in their avatars - weird.
Name too long - flames out.
Name too short - never gets noticed.
Animal names and avatars are to be avoided.
Those using God's names tend to be fairly ephemeral as do those who use their own name or occupation.
Changing username once is a good indicator of a stable user.

As always - beware the exceptions!

To be safe, stick with 5-6 letters, one word, no numbers, add a letter after a while, nothing declaring a religious affiliation, personal details or employment.

:)

rainee

one should eventually arrive at a station in life wherein the approval or disapproval of another unfazes them.

the race is only between you and yourself and your sure-a-heck not gunna lay on your deaath-bed worring about the slights and misperceptions of days gone bye.

that, and, 'I'm rubber, and your the glue' *rasperrys*

There is a limit to which this can be true.
You should have made some friends here - or tried - if you have been here any time at all.

No man is an island.

This is in the face of what I think has already been implied if not said:
Didn't someone already post here about forming their alliances with those they can fit into a clique with? Particularly with Admin? Some might say butt kissing and brown nosing Admin might be the only thing worthwhile and rewarding in being here at TOL?
Let's get real - we should make friends here if we can no matter what.

I have to weigh out sometimes, maybe others do too, if Admin wants those in agreement here, and only offers a place for those who do not to be here to serve as the smacked.

Which is funny and I truly hope not.

People whose greatest moments are related to attacking Calvinism which is hundreds of years old - is - well - pathetic.

And a more child like understanding of the human will - is harder to find than here.

I respect Poly.
I loved her post on God showing His carrying out of His plan regarding Mt Moriah.

I was so blessed reading it.

I am thankful Knight awarded it or I might never have seen it.

But are these poor Open Theists starved for the wonderful plan of God?

Nick posted a quote from Turbo that he respected.
Again - the subject was about the greatness and powerfulness of God, totally.

And they want to pick on Calvinists?

Sigh, it is like guys who are fighting homosexual urges attacking homosexuals.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's all in the choice of username and avatar. :)

There are a few guidelines:
Anyone with a number in their name is probably a whacko.
Four letters and three digits = banned in record time.
Guys with chicks in their avatars - weird.
Name too long - flames out.
Name too short - never gets noticed.
Animal names and avatars are to be avoided.
Those using God's names tend to be fairly ephemeral as do those who use their own name or occupation.
Changing username once is a good indicator of a stable user.

As always - beware the exceptions!

To be safe, stick with 5-6 letters, one word, no numbers, add a letter after a while, nothing declaring a religious affiliation, personal details or employment.

:)
POTD :first: :rotfl:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thick skin ... and the more you agree with the admin, the less likely you are to be banned or constantly insulted.