toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 22nd, 2011 11:49 AM

toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?

tumblr_lbi2gzn30K1qc62i0.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Toddlers and tiaras are fine. Little girls seem to like the idea of being a princess. The show, nor beauty pageants for little girls is not. Sexualizing girls leads to endings like Jon Benet Ramsey.

Last edited:

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I am opposed to them because they steal away childhood freedoms.
I am opposed to the sexualizing of little girls.
Likewise, I believe that sports for little boys can demand way too much of their time and talent.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Children should be allowed to be children. This photo just makes me cringe. Child exploitation is the only way of describing it. It is parents living out their fantasies through their daughters. The little girl would be much prettier in pig tails ordinary play clothes and out playing hopscotch with her friends. I enjoy seeing a child happy and enjoying herself. This girl doesn't look happy.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She looks like a Thunderbirds puppet. :chuckle:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Let em' be children.
The struggles of adulthood come too soon, already.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Appalling. Despicable. Child abuse. Can warp a girl's sense of self-worth.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Appalling. Despicable. Child abuse. Can warp a girl's sense of self-worth.

Yep. It takes away the girl's innocence and it sexualizes her. Girls shouldn't be in shows like this, Instead they should be out playing with dolls and reading books.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Exploitation of your own children for what? I would consider this another form of child abuse. Kids grow up too quick these days anyway, why rush it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Exploitation of your own children for what? I would consider this another form of child abuse. Kids grow up too quick these days anyway, why rush it.

I'd consider anything that exploits a child, prematurely ages them, and forces kids to serve as vicarious avatars for their parents to be semi-abusive.

Then again, we don't seem to have a huge issue with children participating in sports whether they like it or not. Less of an ick factor, obviously.

Son of Jack

I'll do whatever I can to keep my little girl from having her self-worth be wrapped up in our culture's definition of beauty. She's beautiful because she's made in God's own image (Genesis 1:26-28) and has a beautiful spirit of faith (1 Peter 3:3-6).

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll do whatever I can to keep my little girl from having her self-worth being wrapped up in our culture's definition of beauty. She's beautiful because she's made in God's own image (Genesis 1:26-28) and has a beautiful spirit of faith (1 Peter 3:3-6).

:thumb: And she has a beautiful smile.:) She is way cuter than the makeup encrusted pageant girls. She one lucky little girl. You are to be commended for protecting her. Robbing children of their innocence is an abomination.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then again, we don't seem to have a huge issue with children participating in sports whether they like it or not. Less of an ick factor, obviously.
Kids should be outside running around. :idunno:

Why would you even think of making this comparison?

Loved Thunderbirds! :sibbie:

Funny, I picked you as more of a Joe90 kinda guy... :chuckle: