toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 22nd, 2011 09:36 AM

toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well let's take a look at what the Bible says:

John 1:17 - For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Romans 1:15-17 -
So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 5:2 - By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

These are just a few samples of verses about salvation. Notice there is nothing in them about works. What role does works play in Salvation?--none.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
in Revelation we are told that He knows our works

you will be known by your works

it is what defines you

Paulos

Well let's take a look at what the Bible says:

John 1:17

Romans 1:15-17

Romans 5:2

These are just a few samples of verses about salvation. Notice there is nothing in them about works. What role does works play in Salvation?--none.

Good works are the fruit of salvation:

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Titus 1:16
They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

1 Timothy 6:18–19
Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Galatians 5:13
For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

2 Corinthians 8:24
Therefore show to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love and of our boasting on your behalf.

1 Timothy 2:15
But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Romans 6:22
But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.​

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Revelation 2:23

King James Version (KJV)

23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

zippy2006

Let's see what the Bible says:

Luke 9:23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

Matthew 25:34-36 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took..

James 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

A question to Protestants: is the act of faith a free movement of the man's will? Does man merit salvation by having faith? The OP should rather say "does anything you do or will play a part in your salvation?" ...at which point the superfluity of the faith/works distinction becomes recognizable.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
in Revelation we are told that He knows our works

you will be known by your works

it is what defines you

It defines you as a Christian and is a result of becoming a Christian but works are not a part of Salvation, they are a result of being saved--big difference.

Matthew 7:16-18 - Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit is a product of being a good tree--a person saved by accepting Christ as Savior.

If a guy is a pervert, steals and calls himself a Christian, it is obvious he isn't a bonafide Christian. You shall know them by their fruits.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It defines you as a Christian and is a result of becoming a Christian but works are not a part of Salvation, they are a result of being saved--big difference.

Being that the claim is made quite frequently that Christians are morally superior to non Christians, why shouldn't they be expected to be beyond reproach?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Then said the disciples to Him "what must we do to do the works of God?" and Jesus answered them "this is the work of God that ye believe on Him who God hath sent"

This was after He had fed 5,000 men [+ the women and children] with the loaves and fishes. I wanna tell you something, I wanna tell you something...something

God can still do it.

How poor and puny the works of man have been these two millenia, look at the starving children with flies on their faces LOOK with your eyes.

God can still do it, what must we do to do the works? the miracles, the works, the miracles, the works the miracles of GOD.

God can still do it. What must we do?

Hard to believe isn't it...the children are dying, it's not easy to believe. Since the apostles turned this old world upside down to the glory of God the church has not believed....not for the works of God....Mother Theresa believed, she was just one woman. What if the whole church would believe like that?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Revelation 2:23

King James Version (KJV)

23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

:up: And Paul says the same.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Being that the claim is made quite frequently that Christians are morally superior to non Christians, why shouldn't they be expected to be beyond reproach?

Sadly too many people that wear the label Christian don't act like one. They are an embarrassment to the faith.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I understand the word "salvation" to be the full orb of the golden chain of redemption, that is, foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, union to Christ, faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification. Thus one's walk of faith as a believer (sanctification) will necessarily show the fruits of good works.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...A question to Protestants: is the act of faith a free movement of the man's will?
It is to this one.

Does man merit salvation by having faith?
No. And that's two questions...even a Protestant can count. :think:

The OP should rather say "does anything you do or will play a part in your salvation?" ...at which point the superfluity of the faith/works distinction becomes recognizable.
So you still believe that accepting a present is a meritorious act then...what fun your birthday must be...for you. :D

zippy2006

A question to Protestants: is the act of faith a free movement of the man's will?
It is to this one.

:thumb:

Does man merit salvation by having faith?
No.

Is faith a requirement of salvation?

The OP should rather say "does anything you do or will play a part in your salvation?" ...at which point the superfluity of the faith/works distinction becomes recognizable.
So you still believe that accepting a present is a meritorious act then...what fun your birthday must be...for you. :D

Apparently you've missed the point. There is more than one way to accept a gift, believe it or not. Scripture is clear that acceptance is not denoted by mere actless faith, as my previous post makes quite obvious. The One who gave us the gift tells us numerous times what is required and what is entailed. :idunno:

:e4e:

zippy2006

...at which point the superfluity of the faith/works distinction becomes recognizable.

I am not here saying that something like works of the Jewish law (which Paul often speaks of) somehow cause salvation.

The point is rather that the common Protestant separation of faith (that which we intend or think; non-active intent) and works (that which we do bodily) is completely unwarranted and unBiblical. To engage in that kind of dubious and opposite distinction between what you do physically and what you intend or wish by faith is to engage in precisely the same problematic practice that James' denounces in his letter and to move towards Luther's heretical call to "sin boldly."

Ted L Glines

I understand the word "salvation" to be the full orb of the golden chain of redemption, that is, foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, union to Christ, faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification. Thus one's walk of faith as a believer (sanctification) will necessarily show the fruits of good works.

AMR

:up:

Good works done to buy salvation is a path to nowhere. It buys nothing for salvation is not for sale.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is faith a requirement of salvation?
Can you accept something you don't believe exists?

Apparently you've missed the point.
Or your point missed its intended mark.

There is more than one way to accept a gift, believe it or not.
Technically, sure. Meaningfully, no.

Scripture is clear that acceptance is not denoted by mere actless faith, as my previous post makes quite obvious.
Tell that to the thief on the cross. Will he be surprised...

The One who gave us the gift tells us numerous times what is required and what is entailed. :idunno:
We differ in our understanding/reading, as you know from past discussions. But you keep trying to earn grace and I'll keep responding out of gratitude and abundance and we'll both make the world a better place for the effort.