toldailytopic: Summer movies. Which summer blockbuster movies are you most excited to

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Movies have been so bad during the last decade or so, I don't really look forward to any of them anymore. If I hear something's good, I might check it out. I am hoping the next Transformers movie is pretty good.

elohiym

Movies have been so bad during the last decade or so, I don't really look forward to any of them anymore.

Same here, to the extent I will no longer take my family to the theater. It just feels like a waste of money.

I use pay-per-view and DVDs these days.

One Eyed Jack

Same here, to the extent I will no longer take my family to the theater. It just feels like a waste of money.

I use pay-per-view and DVDs these days.

I don't really like going to the movies anyway. It's hard to sit through a two-hour movie without having to go to the restroom or wanting a cigarette. At home, this isn't a problem, plus snacks are much cheaper.

Samstarrett

Heimdall('the whitest of the gods') was played by a black man in Thor. That's enough to make me skip that one. The idea of black/Asian/otherwise non-white Aesir drives me nuts. The Norse gods should be Norse. They are the gods of a particular part of the white race. Deal with it, Hollywood.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cars 2. I usually don't get too excited about movies unless they are light fun ones.

One Eyed Jack

Heimdall('the whitest of the gods') was played by a black man in Thor. That's enough to make me skip that one. The idea of black/Asian/otherwise non-white Aesir drives me nuts. The Norse gods should be Norse. They are the gods of a particular part of the white race. Deal with it, Hollywood.

I can accept a black Nick Fury (mainly since it's Samuel L. Jackson), but I'd probably have a problem with this, myself. The closest thing to a black Norse god I've ever heard of is Hel, and that's because she's half-dead.

Buzzword

You do realize the movie is based on a COMIC BOOK, not actual Norse mythology, right?

If Stan Lee can take artistic license, then Kenneth Branaugh can as well, especially given the AWESOME job Idris Elba did with the character.

One Eyed Jack

To be fair, Heimdall does have gold teeth...

Seriously though, I have problems with movies that stray too far from the source. Sometimes it's not so bad, and sometimes it simply makes it to where I can't enjoy the story.

Samstarrett

You do realize the movie is based on a COMIC BOOK, not actual Norse mythology, right?

Yeah, and pretty loosely even on that IIRC. Black Aesir still rub me the wrong way.

If Stan Lee can take artistic license, then Kenneth Branaugh can as well, especially given the AWESOME job Idris Elba did with the character.

Artistic license is one thing, but in this case you're taking the whitest of a group of already exclusively white gods and making him black. I don't like it. Can't we whites enjoy our mythology in peace without multicultural interference?

Samstarrett

White, black, yellow -- I don't care. I just don't like revisionism.

Well, yeah. I mean, I'm white, so naturally I feel a stronger connection to white mythologies and legends, but it would be equally ridiculous for some important black person like Nelson Mandela or Rosa Parks(I'd have named mythological figures, but I don't really know anything about African mythology) to be played by a white person. Of course, there's really not that much danger of that in the modern cultural milieu.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I kinda want to see Captain America. Nothing else really looks like its going to be any good.

And I have my doubts about Captain America.

Status
Not open for further replies.