toldailytopic: Memorial Day Weekend: What does it represent for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 28th, 2011 09:53 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My dad fought in the Korean War. I'm so thankful for his service and all the other brave soldiers service. They fought, risked and sometimes gave their own life so that we could live in the greatest country on earth.

As for celebrations... we will have a small cookout with my mom and dad tomorrow night and then on Monday I'm smoking some ribs!

Ecumenicist

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Whether we're for against wars and militaries, we have to respect the sacrifices made on behalf of others.

We were going to have a cookout,but I'm running a fever so it may not happen. Just feeling yucky. Gonna preach tomorrow, though...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a day to honor the servicemen which risk their lives in the line of duty. They are the real heros. Kids should be taught that servicemen are real heros. Forget about superman and batman.

Today I barbequed pork ribs and my husband and I feasted on them. :chew:

Buzzword

Bittersweetness.

My dad didn't have to go to Vietnam because he went to officer's training school, and ended up a quartermaster at an army base in Berlin.

...that's the sweetness, by the way.
My dad could have died in Vietnam, and I would never have been born.

Bitter, because two years ago on May 24th, my then-soon-to-be-mother-in-law, a police detective for nearly twenty years, lost her final battle with cancer, after a year of fighting it in her lungs, tons of surgery and chemotherapy, and then another year fighting it in her brain after it metastasized and required nearly 30 separate brain surgeries.

So yeah.
We're celebrating for the sake of those who have died or lived in uniform, but there is a requiem undertone for one who died out of uniform.

bybee

Bittersweetness.

My dad didn't have to go to Vietnam because he went to officer's training school, and ended up a quartermaster at an army base in Berlin.

...that's the sweetness, by the way.
My dad could have died in Vietnam, and I would never have been born.

Bitter, because two years ago on May 24th, my then-soon-to-be-mother-in-law, a police detective for nearly twenty years, lost her final battle with cancer, after a year of fighting it in her lungs, tons of surgery and chemotherapy, and then another year fighting it in her brain after it metastasized and required nearly 30 separate brain surgeries.

So yeah.
We're celebrating for the sake of those who have died or lived in uniform, but there is a requiem undertone for one who died out of uniform.

My sympathies on your losses. Usually, we went as a family to the cemetery to decorate the graves of family members who had passed on. As a community we remembered the heroism of our fellow citizens in the military and thanked God for their sacrifice.
Now, I say special prayers of thanksgiving for all of my loved ones both living and dead.

chair

Here (Israel) we have a Memorial day, the day before independence day. It is a serious sad day, with a nation-wide moment of silence, ceremonies all over the country, and many people visit the cemeteries to pay respects to the fallen. Barbeques are reserved for Independence Day...

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Our nations, the USA, continued remembrance
of those who died serving our country in past wars.

They should rightfully be remembered for their

Service
Bravery
Loyalty
Comradeship

For the sake of
Our freedom
Our nation
Our people
Their love for the USA

:FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE:

Let us resolve that these shall have not died in vain.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here (Israel) we have a Memorial day, the day before independence day. It is a serious sad day, with a nation-wide moment of silence, ceremonies all over the country, and many people visit the cemeteries to pay respects to the fallen. Barbeques are reserved for Independence Day...

That is what ours is supposed to be. But many have turned it into a party. Shamefully.

red cardinal

Our nations, the USA, continued remembrance
of those who died serving our country in past wars.

They should rightfully be remembered for their

Service
Bravery
Loyalty
Comradeship

For the sake of
Our freedom
Our nation
Our people
Their love for the USA

:FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE: :FrankiE:

Let us resolve that these shall have not died in vain.

:first:

Quincy

It's a somber time of remembrance for those that have served during war time and a time we should pay our honours and respect for those of us that haven't. I like what my dad said best about when he served in vietnam. "Every guy I know that I saw die, stills lives in my mind."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
All those who served, it is in remembrance of their good faith and sacrifice. Not all wars seemed to have had the best leadership; it is not for the reasons why, but the willingness to come to a call to duty, to defend their country; this is what matters most!

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a day I spend some time remembering those that have fallen beside me in battle and those that returned home safely but damaged physically or mentally. I lift a glass up to them and a prayer for their loved ones.

It is also a day I remind my family that I am king of the world for a few hours, which means all the chores I normally do get postponed for a day. ;) I don't think they have quite mastered the concept, but I am glad to be with them.

AMR

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Something else Memorial day means to me - Holiday pay and overtime!

Yeah, I'm working this weekend, like I do every weekend.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The deaths of men who perished in unnecessary wars started by thugs.

The fallen deserved better.

Status
Not open for further replies.