toldailytopic: Deadly tornados: Tragic weather phenomenon or God's wrath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 26th, 2011 10:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

One looked for a little while like it would plow through our apartment complex.
Ended up turning more northward, but we were hunkered down for a bit there.

The same weather systems which produce tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, and massive amounts of lightning also produce the rain plants need to live (and subsequently be eaten by us), as well as the seasonal changes which allow plants to go through their life cycles.

So yeah.
Tragic, especially for the family in Piedmont, OK who lost two children and have the third and the pregnant mother in critical condition.

But not the result of some PO'ed old guy sitting on a cloud with a thunderbolt in hand.

Cracked

I don't know that this is very funny.

Some claim that it is evidence that the "end is nigh". I don't know that we can claim every tragedy as God's judgement. However, we can see the good that springs from it is His very own.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Tragic phenomena. Our earth is aging a lot faster than many people think. It is suffering the consequences of the sin in the garden of Eden. So now it is aging and winding down. Weather is going to get worse. There will be more droughts and more severe weather. It has very little do to with wrath for any specific thing a nation has done or any set date of a doomsday event. No one knows the hour or day of Christ's return. The aging of the earth only tells us that time is getting closer. How close no one knows.

Cracked

Same answer.

So how do you explain God preventing some tragedies and not others?

I don't. It does not require an explanation. God will allow/prevent according to His will. No matter how we strain, we cannot see all things, as much as many of us would like to. In the midst of it all, God offers peace--a peace that does not require understanding.

How do you explain it?

Buzzword

elohiym said:
Do you think there is a tragedy that God cannot prevent?

Inadequate question.

There is nothing in creation which God cannot prevent, but bringing up the issue in this context implies that he CHOOSES not to prevent it, implying that He is malevolently negligent, and handing several drum clips of debate ammo to the more confrontational atheists.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If it was only hitting states that, say, had legalized gay marriage, or were all north of the Mason Dixon line, then I might be slightly worried.

Tragic, of course, but unusually violent. Something's broken.

Selaphiel

Weather phenomenon of course. All natural disasters are, as the name implies, natural phenomena that are explained by certain natural processes and the laws of science that describes them. Of course, complex phenomena such as hurricanes and tornadoes are results of a massively complex web of interactions which can only be described as chaos systems.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Matthew 5:45

faramir77

Do you not think an angel rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm?

I looked and there was a whirlwind coming from the north,
a great cloud with fire flashing back and forth and brilliant light all around it. In the center of the fire, there was a gleam like amber. ~Ezekiel 1:4

can anything happen that's not providence?

Kiss the Sun, lest ye be consumed by Him.

badp

This is the result of global warming! We are raping the planet and now Mother Nature is angry! :shocked:

elohiym

I don't. It does not require an explanation. God will allow/prevent according to His will. No matter how we strain, we cannot see all things, as much as many of us would like to. In the midst of it all, God offers peace--a peace that does not require understanding.

How do you explain it?

I'm thinking of starting a thread on the problem of evil where I will address that. Would you mind if I save my answer for there? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.