toldailytopic: Is it ever OK to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 18th, 2011 09:12 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
something yes
someone no
Hmmm.... David disagrees.

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

In most cases no--It's not OK to hate someone because of the color of their skin or their country of origin.

Now to situations where it is OK to hate:

Romans 9: 12-14 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
Hebrews 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

It is OK to hate sin. God even expresses a hatred toward the unrepentant immoral person. This runs counter to the saccharine preaching we hear today about loving the sinner and hating the sin. I used New Testament source material. There is even more source material for this in the Old Testament. There is that perfect hatred there, Knight, that David speaks of. ;) :up:

Silent Hunter

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
. . . I'm not sure about the use of the word "perfect" in this case . . . perhaps better is "absolutely" or "completely."

. . . and where is the permission from David's deity making it OK for him to hate the people he despises beyond his own admission?

Edit: . . . and what Chrys said too.

csuguy

you are using the OT to trump what is clearly in the NT

love your neighbor
and
love your enemies

:thumb:

I wouldn't mind looking into the various meanings of the word translated as 'hate' in the OT. At any rate, hate is condemned even in the OT as a sin- it is hate/planning which distinguishes an accidental killing vs murder. Apart from bringing harm to others, it also brings harm to oneself. It can ruin ones life. Thus hate isn't OK and should be avoided.

This Charming Manc

Because David committed adultery and murder does that make that OK too?

Its a hymn/prayer were David is talking about his feelings.

It is not a command, instruction or in anyway validated by the NT.

Why do right wing christians struggle with Love being where its at ?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

love your neighbor
and
love your enemies

Why does one take precedence over the other? In terms of right and wrong, knowing right and wrong never change.

elohiym

love your neighbor
and
love your enemies

How does that trump "there is time for every purpose under heaven?"

Ec 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Is that no longer true, in your opinion?

Paulos

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

David's hatred did not bring anyone salvation. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Psalm 139:20 applied as much to us as to anyone else:

Ephesians 2:3
Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

Colossians 1:21
And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,

Romans 5:10
For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.​

Fortunately for us, God is love (1 John 4:8), not hate:

Ephesians 2:3-4
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Luke 14:26

26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

Romans 9:13

13 As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated

Cracked

And then....

Jesus says to love your enemies -and- He came, suffered and died to save everyone ("the world"), including those who hated God. I think David was being persecuted by ungodly men, and was praying for justice. Unfortunately, this implies that David thought himself to be righteous (at least at the timed this was penned). We know that David was not righteous.

So, it would seem that it is not a clear as the above proof text would seem to make it. The old saying, "hate the sin but love the sinner" is, essentially, a Christlike sentiment. I know that that saying is not in the Bible in so many words, but it is definitely there. Is it OK to hate? I would say that yes, it is. Hate evil, certainly, when you have truly found it. Is it OK to hate people? If you are completely righteous, perhaps - but Jesus who is righteous and who hates evil, loved humanity enough to suffer greatly for us all. If your idea of hate is dieing a horrible death (one unfathomable to us) so those worthy of eternal burning torment do not suffer, then hate away.

Status
Not open for further replies.