toldailytopic: It's tax time! What are your thoughts about the US income tax system a

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

What do you think would be a good solution to fix the tax system we have in the USA?

- Reform the current system
- Move to a national sales tax
- Move to a flat tax
- Other (please explain)

A flat tax seems equitable to me. No one should be tax free except, those whose only support is welfare and/or government.
Also, ALL elected persons ought to be in the same system that the rest of Americans are in. They should not have their own health care system.

Lovejoy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 15th, 2011 12:14 PM

toldailytopic: It's tax time!! What are your thoughts about the US income tax system and the IRS?

I am still arguing with the feds about a thousand dollars that they owe me from last year. Apparently, one of my kids was too old to deduct (he turns two this year).

Alencon

Too complicated and too unfair.

I would prefer a flat progressive tax with the only deductions for home mortgage interest and taxes, because home ownership creates local jobs, and college tuition, because we need an educated population to compete in the global economy.

99lamb

"...I was now getting as I have said, one dollar and fifty cents per day. I contracted for it , I earned it, it was paid to me, it was rightfully my own,yet, upon each returning Saturday night, I was compelled to deliver every cent of that money to Master Hugh. And why? Not because he earned it, not because he had any hand in earning it, not because I owed it to him , nor because he possessed the slightest shadow of a right to it , but solely because he had the power to compel me to give it up. The right of the grim visaged pirate upon the high seas is exactly the same."

If you think taxes, taxes upon one's earnings are fair, flat or any other scheme the only way for the government to collect the necessary funds to sustain its spending you are a fool. The above excerpt was from Frederick Douglass a slave, he knew it was robbery to have someone own his right to make money, to control it before he had any say in how it was taken,or spent. Today the government owns your money before you are allowed to keep it, and only allows you to have what they "think" is due you, the depth of slavery is only a matter of degrees.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
This is all true. But it is also true that the rates are too high, and are stealing. I am glad to read you have a problem with Obama not making GE, or other liberal donated companies paying no tax.
How can Cesar steal what is already Cesar's?

Matthew 22:15-22 (New International Version, ©2011)

Paying the Imperial Tax to Caesar

15 Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16 They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?” 18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”
21 “Caesar’s,” they replied.
Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”
22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

Money isn't ours. Its an earthly treasure and nothing more. I always try to keep that in mind when it comes times to pay taxes.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
What do you think would be a good solution to fix the tax system we have in the USA?

- Reform the current system
- Move to a national sales tax
- Move to a flat tax
- Other (please explain)

I like the idea of a flat tax system, a straight percentage off of the bottom line income. The national sales tax or consumption tax also seems rather intriguing, this sort of taxation will hit the underground economy as well. Even illegal immigrants need to buy goods and services, so do other criminal elements and consumption tax would capture them all. I think we would see more bartering for services in this scenario to avoid taxation. In either case we need taxation that is fair across the board with no loopholes for anyone.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Personally, I am content with the current system. Over the years I have grown accustomed to tracking expenses, taxes, and income, such that my annual visit to my accountant is relatively painless. I have a spreadsheet I have developed for all these things and transferring information from Quicken (or the equivalent) and my paper records takes me a few hours, then I am all set with my visit. Everything is filed electronically and refunds or payments owed occur within a day or so. I have a relatively complex tax situation, with several businesses owned and tax time, while a temporary chore, generally works out well for me each year.

The key is good record-keeping. Even if you throw everything into a box throughout the year and reconcile/categorize one's bank statements monthly in another tool, e.g., Quicken, which I do, going through said box is a couple of hours work.

Another tip for business owners is to use one credit card for all that businesses expenses. That way at the end of the year you can download the card's annual statement with categories assigned and transfer that information to your records.

AMR

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
. The national sales tax or consumption tax also seems rather intriguing, this sort of taxation will hit the underground economy as well. Even illegal immigrants need to buy goods and services, so do other criminal elements and consumption tax would capture them all. I think we would see more bartering for services in this scenario to avoid taxation. In either case we need taxation that is fair across the board with no loopholes for anyone.

this is the best argument yet

Granite

Hall of Fame
The good news is we're getting a very hefty return this year. But then again, it was our money in the first place.

Ecumenicist

National sales tax steals from the poor. And the idea of having poor folks apply for a credit is bogus, the least and the lost won't apply for any credits.

Graduated tax, no deductions, period.

A nation is judged based on how well it takes care of its widows and orphans, that message is everywhere in the OT, and caring for the least and the lost was Christ's number one priority if anyone cares to actually read the gospels. When we feed and clothe and visit the poor, we are feeding, clothing, and visiting God Himself.

This nation is doomed, and not because of Obama, but because of the greedy self centered right wing who sell lies in order to fill their coffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.