toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 13th, 2011 10:01 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Samstarrett

Hymns. 'Nuff said.

Sunday School teachers who shut down all interesting discussion in favor of a lesson plan.

Sermons that amount to 'give the church more money'...particularly if it's at a funeral and the pastor says '[the deceased] gave a lot to the church...he would want you to give more money to the church...'(no, not kidding).

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 13th, 2011 10:01 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Slooooooow repetitive songs. (just kill me please....)

Also, the latest self help, how to be swell sermon, version 999,999,001.5 where all the sad-faced come up for prayer afterward, just like they did Every Sunday for the last 20 years.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Among many other things, I hate church-speak, like:
  • "Let's bow our heads and hearts"
  • "Pray for travelling mercies"
  • Using "Lord", "Father", "Jesus", and "God" 35 times in a single 2-minute prayer
  • "Lord we pray a hedge of protection around our dear sister"
  • Calling a carpeted step an "altar"
  • Etc.

Samstarrett

Among many other things, I hate church-speak, like:
  • "Let's bow our heads and hearts"
  • "Pray for travelling mercies"
  • Using "Lord", "Father", "Jesus", and "God" 35 times in a single 2-minute prayer
  • "Lord we pray a hedge of protection around our dear sister"
  • Calling a carpeted step an "altar"
  • Etc.

Lord, we just ask that you, Father, would just lay your hand on our beloved sister Mrs. Greenfarb, that you would just protect and just guide her through this difficult time. We just lift her up to you, Lord.

In the name of your holy precious beloved Son, Lord, we just lift up this prayer.

Amen

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lord, we just ask that you, Father, would just lay your hand on our beloved sister Mrs. Greenfarb, that you would just protect and just guide her through this difficult time. We just lift her up to you, Lord.

In the name of your holy precious beloved Son, Lord, we just lift up this prayer.

Amen

How about when people get so caught up in the fake prayer that they interchange "Father" and "Jesus"?

"Father we just ask you Lord Jesus that you'd place a hedge of protection Lord around our dear brother Alvin, Father, and protect him Jesus from the schemes of the enemy Lord."

:dizzy:

Samstarrett

How about when people get so caught up in the fake prayer that they interchange "Father" and "Jesus"?

"Father we just ask you Lord Jesus that you'd place a hedge of protection Lord around our dear brother Alvin, Father, and protect him Jesus from the schemes of the enemy Lord."

:dizzy:

Maybe they're Oneness? :think:

Cracked

I hate it if the pastor starts crying from the pulpit. That's one that will make me never come back.

You don't think that pastors can be moved to tears by the messages they give? Certain parts of Scripture sometimes cause an emotional response in me.

Overall, these pet peeves are mostly petty. These little things should not bother us the way they do, though I will admit that they have bothered me as well. My least favorite is constant technical difficulties when the words to songs are projected for the congregation to follow along.

Status
Not open for further replies.