toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Preachers/pastors who are Psycho-Ceramics … Crack Pots.

heir

TOL Subscriber
in pulpits all over the world. just sayin'

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 KJV For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Thessalonians 2:7 KJV For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Tico

Not enough politics from the pulpit. There are way too many liberal pastors and apologetic conservatives.

Pastors who use the pastorate to work out their emotional difficulties.

SaulToPaul 2

in pulpits all over the world. just sayin'

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 KJV For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Thessalonians 2:7 KJV For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

A robed pastor in a beautiful building with stained glass windows and a steeple on top couldn't possibly be spewing poison to the congregation he loves and weeps over could he? :)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Lord, we just ask that you, Father, would just lay your hand on our beloved sister Mrs. Greenfarb, that you would just protect and just guide her through this difficult time. We just lift her up to you, Lord.

In the name of your holy precious beloved Son, Lord, we just lift up this prayer.

Amen
This prayer reminds me of one of my church pet peeves: The word "just" scattered throughout prayers is a sin against Hebrews 4:16 which commands us to come "boldly" before the throne of grace. Christians timidly tell God in prayer that they are "just" asking Him to do this and "just" asking Him to do that and yet hypocritically claim they are coming "boldly" before the throne of grace. What a bunch of liars.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Pew sitters who think they are good Christians just because they show up at church regularly. Look at how much free time retired Christians have to actually do something for God. If every single able-bodied retired Christian in the country would show up at an abortion mill for just 1 hour per YEAR, every abortion mill in the country would be jammed with protesters every minute their doors were open. Pew sitters. Oh well, it's their own rewards they are throwing away, not mine.

Buzzword

Just remembered another from the church in which I grew up:
Pastors who preach on some scholarly point which has ZERO MEANING to anyone not attending seminary.
Example: The "debate" over which Mary poured perfume on Jesus' feet.

The majority of us are still wrestling with day-to-day questions of God's will for our lives.
No need to complicate matters by throwing in insignificant arguments.

Also:
Pastors who give lessons in Greek or Hebrew from the pulpit.
Same reason.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Especially those who don't know anything about Greek or Hebrew other than what they read from their favorite commentator.

Carpe per diem! :think:

Peeve bonus round:

Oh, and people who hold your hand too long while encouraging you to attend more regularly. Yeah, nothing says "you're at home here" quite like being held against your will and treated to the inference that you're a slacker. :D

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It drives me crazy when you have a person singing obnoxiously loud, adding their owns words in between, as if they are the front man for a band...Sheez! If you want to cut an album do it somewhere else, here in church your just a distraction.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 13th, 2011 10:01 AM

My biggest pet peeve about church is when pastors insist on giving some bible verse before they take the offering/tithes. The majority of the time they take a verse that really doesn't have to do with giving and stretch it to be somewhat applicable. :sozo: JUST PASS THE BUCKETS!!

My 2nd pet peeve is how the praise/worship time has become so much of a production in many churches.

I like simplicity. These mega-churches rub me the wrong way in many ways (And I don't mean the pastors! :shocked:).

kmoney

Hall of Fame
when a man behind the pulpit speaks for a half an hour or more and does not preach the power of God unto salvation

when a man behind the pulpit perverts the gospel of Christ

when they speak more about what they do rather than what God has done

What do you think sermons should be about?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not enough politics from the pulpit. There are way too many liberal pastors and apologetic conservatives.

Once I heard one say regarding moral problems in America, "People would rather come out of the closet than clean it".

Yeah, a little more of that would be a good thing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The worship guy/gal prays and includes a phrase in his prayer that mysteriously finds itself in the next song.

Why? Or do you mean if the leader acts like the Spirit gave them that line or something?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
1) Politics from the pulpit (be it left or right, direct or implied)
2) The 'modernization' wave. I believe some churches sincerely fall into this in an attempt to bring in new members but it often seems more social than spiritual, at least to me.
3) The 'marketing wave'. I mean the almost PR, stage production, selling a product sort of approach that many churches use. Here too, some churches innocently fall into this.

I prefer traditional worship; that's why, tho a non-Catholic, I love my retreats to the Gethsemeni monastary.

Good list. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.