toldailytopic: Women Pastors. Good idea, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Ducky

I think the ministry is a little different. It's our souls and hearts that are called to it. Why should people tell me that my soul and heart's calling is less legitimate for this profession because it happens to reside in a female body?

I believe the clear teaching of Scripture is that women are not supposed to be Pastors. If I am correct, then any call you feel would not be legitimate.

That being said, and with the caveat I understand I might be wrong about my position, I wish you the best in both your studies and in whatever ministry the Lord gives you. Study hard, love harder.

Peace,
Rick

GoingGoldenWCU

well, i base my POV on experience

Same here. Which is why I said that saying "all women are this way" was being too broad and a little unfair.

I know what its like to be a woman, for one.. I know what its like to have lived around females all my life... plenty of them.. i know what its like to have been friends w/ same.. and/or attmepting to be friends ... gave up bothering on that one...

Since I'm also a woman, you're preaching to the choir here.

anyway... as objectively as i myself am in my thinking, i can still see that sometimes i think subjectively.. and YES, i realize that men do this also.. ALL humans have a tendency to believe that their perceptions of reality are real and true... even when they are far from it... Again, i was speaking generally

So was I.

oatmeal

Because of this?

1 Timothy 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

What we need to ask ourselves is

"what was the purpose of Paul writing this?"

"what need was being addressed?"

The context of these verses are given in I Timothy 2:8-9

Evidently, there were women who thought flashy, gaudy, extravagant, loud, boisterous apparel and behavior was the way to go.

Paul teaches, and in other places like Peter, humility, and modest apparel and behavior is the best norm for believers, especially leaders or wives of leaders.

Timothy being written to leaders.

In a leadership role, women have to set the example for other women.

In a leadership role, women do not take the lead over the men, ie, the man in charge of a situation.

But in the context, it does not rule out that women in leadership positions are not to teach or lead.

It is the nature or behavior of some women, (and men, of course) to be flamboyant, arrogant, attention seekers. There is no place for any of that in leadership roles.

oatmeal

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For every Poly and ebenz, there seems to be a dozen Nangs. Maybe that also is why for 1 Timothy 2.

:mock: samstarrett = :flamer:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

1 Timothy 2: 9-15

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

If women were permitted to preach, Then why would the apostle Paul write something like this to Timothy? Thanks Nick for pointing the Timothy Letters out.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church

Paul also writes something similar to the Corinthians. I don't buy the argument that Paul had a personal agenda in writing these letters. Nick does make an excellent point that the 'Nangs' far outnumber the Polys and the ebenz'. This might be the reason why God prompted Paul to write these verses. Women preachers might be one of the reasons why things have all gone sideways in the church today.

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. I don't argue with it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If women were permitted to preach, Then why would the apostle Paul write something like this to Timothy? Thanks Nick for pointing the Timothy Letters out.

I can't fathom that it would be improper for a woman to witness the gospel. Do keep in mind the context and setting (it has nothing to do with the time frame).

Samstarrett

he probably had i-net at home

i dont so i abbreviate.. since i have lmtd time @ i-net.

too bad you dont know the diff between abbreviating and knowing how to spell

Below you will find several of your spelling and grammar mistakes as well as your repeated failure to capitalize the word 'I'. None of these are accepted abbreviations, nor would they save appreciable time typing. They are linked to the original posts.

i dont care if you kneel on the floor the whole time the group is discussing theology.. and sing Gregorian chants...

i would like to hear what nonCatholics have to say about THE REAL TEACHINGS of the Church, not the mytholigical teachings...

well, i base my POV on experience... I know what its like to be a woman, for one.. I know what its like to have lived around females all my life... plenty of them.. i know what its like to have been friends w/ same.. and/or attmepting to be friends ... gave up bothering on that one...

anyway... as objectively as i myself am in my thinking, i can still see that sometimes i think subjectively.. and YES, i realize that men do this also.. ALL humans have a tendency to believe that their perceptions of reality are real and true... even when they are far from it... Again, i was speaking generally

...Does that mean i think men are better than women? No... but myabe in some ways you could say that.. but whatever...

everyone who claims to be Catholic is not... case you haven't noticed.. but this is one of those many things that only a practicing Cathlic really knows much about... you kinda have to be "at the party" to know what's going on there.. as it were. Those outside the party can't say what's going on.. But they do anyway... gets SO tiresome.. presumption. It's like me, as a woman, saying i know exactly what a Masonic lodge mtg is all about... :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.