toldailytopic: For those unsaved. If it turns out you were wrong and you face God in

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

The Judeo-Christian world view is the only one that truly resonates with reality.
Bald assertion.

Play the game. If there is an omnipotent, omniscient Creator God, could He reveal Himself and communicate truth to finite creatures?
If He was omnipotent I suppose He could do just about anything of course, but yours is a no-lose argument because it can't be shown as false or indeed how it would be if in fact no gods do exist.

You seem to dismiss this possibility or at least dismiss the Bible as being from God. I don't think this is evidenced based as much as bias on your part.
I admit to seeing no links at all between the Bible and an actual supernatural, and thus have concluded it to be merely the work of men...provisionally maybe. Show that God exists in reality without resorting to Bible quotes and then that the Bible is indeed His word, then I will reconsider.
Yes I am certainly biased, toward evidence based conclusions, so shoot me.

Secular science/archaeology, etc. does prove much of the Bible. Some say Jesus was a myth, but they are wrong even from a secular viewpoint (cf. no moon landing). Some twist His words even if they assume they are accurate.
I would be very surprised indeed if factual references were never used in the Bible, but the supernatural parts have never been evidenced to my knowledge and probably never will be because they never happened imo.
I think however that Jesus' supposed words were only those of the later evangelists, whether or not he actually existed, but I am inclined to think he did.

I am not sure what it will take to knock sense in you.
Rationality and some reasonable real evidence might do that perhaps, but without it this is the best I can do. :)

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I would be very surprised
indeed if factual references
were never used in the
Bible, but the supernatural
parts have never been
evidenced to my knowledge
and probably never will be
because they never
happened imo.----Allwight. There is evidence that sodom and gomorrah existed. There is evidence of a volcanic eruption that destroyed those two cities. You would still dismiss this because volcanos are not supernatural. But if you write about it as a judgment from God shortly after the time that it happened, then that is evidence of the supernatural. Why would moses make up a story like that to describe a natural disaster?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
In order to dismiss the possibility of the supernatural, you must clear define it and stick by that definition in all cases without hypocrisy.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If there is no God, the supernatural is not possible. If there is a God, then it is to be expected. So, the atheist rejects the supernatural outright because they reject God. The theist accepts God and the supernatural based on evidence (but not 5 sense scientific method; evolutionary origins in the beginning are also not testable/reproducible so it is also 'faith' based).

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by
voltaire
not true . . . except
in your imagination.-----
SilentHunter. Which part of
my post were you referring
to?
. . . pretty much ALL of it.-----That is absolutely false and you have done a very poor job of making your case against me. IMO, it is you who makes statements all based on your imagination.

alwight

were never used in the
parts have never been
because they never
happened imo.----Allwight. There is evidence that sodom and gomorrah existed.
Even if a place like it existed in antiquity it doesn't attest to or affirm anything supernatural happening of course.

There is evidence of a volcanic eruption that destroyed those two cities. You would still dismiss this because volcanos are not supernatural.
That's right they're not supernatural, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss cities being destroyed by natural events, because I'm quite sure that they have been.

But if you write about it as a judgment from God shortly after the time that it happened, then that is evidence of the supernatural. Why would moses make up a story like that to describe a natural disaster?
My first reaction however to that idea is that superstitious less informed people tend to attribute all natural disasters to godly wrath, but these days we really should be beyond such daft notions.
I'm not particularly convinced that Moses did anything but make up stories.

alwight

If there is no God, the supernatural is not possible.
Bald assertion.

If there is a God, then it is to be expected.
Possibly.

So, the atheist rejects the supernatural outright because they reject God.
Not this atheist at least, I reject claims of a supernatural simply on the lack of evidence not dogma.
I would rather like there to be a supernatural of some kind as it happens.

The theist accepts God and the supernatural based on evidence (but not 5 sense scientific method; evolutionary origins in the beginning are also not testable/reproducible so it is also 'faith' based).
Theists' ideas of God or gods are as varied and manifold as are the number of theists... if not more so. :)

Silent Hunter

If there is no God, the supernatural is not possible. If there is a God, then it is to be expected. So, the atheist rejects the supernatural outright because they reject God.
. . . hold on there stud . . . you've got things backward. I don't reject the supernatural because I reject your particular version of a deity . . . rather I reject the supernatural because there is no evidence it exists . . . if your deity is supernatural I therefore then reject your particular version of a deity.

The theist accepts God and the supernatural based on evidence (but not 5 sense scientific method; evolutionary origins in the beginning are also not testable/reproducible so it is also 'faith' based).
. . . [patiently awaiting the evidence of your version of deity and the supernatural]

Silent Hunter

Originally Posted by
voltaire
not true . . . except
in your imagination.-----
SilentHunter. Which part of
my post were you referring
to?
. . . pretty much ALL of it.-----That is absolutely false and you have done a very poor job of making your case against me. IMO, . . .
. . . you need to do a better job of punctuation . . . your post here should read . . . "That is absolutely false and you have done a very poor job of making your case against me, IMO." (compare to above . . . note the comma and period). It is difficult to refute your declarations . . . however . . . that I HAVE NOT done so is your opinion.

. . . it is you who makes statements all based on your imagination.
. . . @#$% . . . irony meter pegged again.

Silent Hunter

were never used in the
parts have never been
because they never
happened imo.----Allwight. There is evidence that sodom and gomorrah existed. There is evidence of a volcanic eruption that destroyed those two cities. You would still dismiss this because volcanos are not supernatural. But if you write about it as a judgment from God shortly after the time that it happened, then that is evidence of the supernatural. Why would moses make up a story like that to describe a natural disaster?
. . . your faulty reasoning leads to the conclusion that ALL "disasters" were/are the handywork of your particular deity . . . :yawn:

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
. . . hold on there stud . . . you've got things backward. I don't reject the supernatural because I reject your particular version of a deity . . . rather I reject the supernatural because there is no evidence it exists . . . if your deity is supernatural I therefore then reject your particular version of a deity.

. . . [patiently awaiting the evidence of your version of deity and the supernatural]

So you are an omniscient god who knows for sure there is no evidence of the supernatural? Outside of your finite knowledge and sphere of existence, the supernatural certainly may exist with verification.

The historical resurrection of Jesus is the ultimate supernatural event.

Silent Hunter

So you are an omniscient god who knows for sure there is no evidence of the supernatural?
. . . I didn't say that . . . that's your strawman.

Outside of your finite knowledge and sphere of existence, the supernatural certainly may exist with verification.
. . . it indeed may . . . when have i ruled out the possibility.

The historical resurrection of Jesus is the ultimate supernatural event.
. . . we skeptics keep asking for the evidence of this "event" (the Bible isn't evidence) . . . so far [crickets chirping].

godrulz

Hall of Fame
. . . I didn't say that . . . that's your strawman.

. . . it indeed may . . . when have i ruled out the possibility.

. . . we skeptics keep asking for the evidence of this "event" (the Bible isn't evidence) . . . so far [crickets chirping].

The Bible is evidence if it is truly the Word of God. Perhaps you should tell us why it cannot be divine revelation?

Silent Hunter

The Bible is evidence IF it is truly the Word of God.
. . . that's a big if gr.

Perhaps you should tell us why it cannot be divine revelation?
. . . this is called shifting the burden of proof. I don't have a responsibility of proving the Bible is not divinely authored . . . it is your job to prove that it is . . . so far . . . [insert your latest unsubstantiated assertion/declaration here].

Skavau

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2629719&postcount=360

Town Heretic said:
No real sense in using an inferior place holder for the same essential and undivided notion, but I never said all men believe, only that they were their own bar to it, that disbelief is neither inevitable nor anything more or less than a fundamental choice. And all choices have a measure of reason in them.
Except beliefs are not a choice. You can only 'choose' what actually convinces you. I cannot be convinced of Christianity or any specific religious belief until I am actually convinced that it is true (and in some cases, moral).

And if I plug my ears and sing loudly enough I will not know the song you're singing. But, again, God isn't hidden from men who refuse to avail themselves of the means by which He might be known.
This is laced with the assumption that God is actually able to be known. The method by which you propose to know God is for all intents and purposes identical to becoming fluent in Christian theology. You yourself have embraced it wholeheartedly but in doing so you mistake your devotion towards it to literally understanding God.

I'd imagine you would, given the implications.
The implications don't come into it. It is the fact that it smears the very character of all non-theists.

Rather you appear to have ignored two different addresses of the inappropriate use of the word here. I've given you an entirely coherent answer with an actual advancement of the why. I suppose I could have adopted your practice here instead and saved myself time.
Yes, you've given a justification for hell. It was however underwhelming and laced in hyperbole. It also smeared those it referred to by suggesting that those who go to hell somehow choose it, or rather gain it as a consequence of their actions and/or desire (whatever that may be). It did not address the very core point that such a hell in the face of an allegedly omniscient and omnibenevolent God need not exist in the very first place.

If you read my answer then you understand mercy would be an extension of the thing willfully rejected, and at that point would be unwanted.
No-one is rejecting mercy. Many atheists do not count themselves as anti-theist such as I and even amongst anti-theists the majority would only reject a specific rendition of God rather than all Gods.

Beans. And, to borrow,
Me said:
You're welcome to keep such a view.
Yes. So? I didn't like the ideal that you espoused as moral.

Or, you have a point you want out and my unconformity to the preset you had on hand isn't going to deter you.
I already queried whether you believed heaven involved utopian ideals. You didn't actually answer rather than complain that I didn't support it.

Well, no. It doesn't follow. It's a bit like you suggesting that the failure of particular, academic tests being offered in post graduate life invalidates the pursuit of advanced and particular understanding within an ivy encrusted confine.
Not quite. For you suggested that life was meaningless without trial. If you view heaven as nothing but absolute perfection then one might query whether or not it would have meaning to you.

You might as easily ask who on death row willfully put themselves in line for execution. The answer (assuming guilt) would be every man who put the selfish desire of his flesh above the right.
You're skirting the question. No-one removes themselves from contention. Not an atheist, scientologist or vehement anti-theist. Millions of non-religious people don't see the relevance of Christianity and live mundane lives in apathy towards it. Do you say that they have removed themselves from contention?

Rather, you're doing, as an anti-theist, precisely and inescapably that.
How so?

No. You understand it exists. You reject the application. And you are accountable for your actions.
I understand that there are people who claim it exists. It does not mean that I understand the proposition itself actually exists.

No. You're judged by perfection or forgiven by it, but not for failing a standard you can't meet, as I've set out prior, but as you will not meet it. And even then there's the grace you ignore.
Can we meet perfection then?

And the "grace I ignore" is the literal equivalent of a supernatural pardon based on belief - something that you can't will upon yourself.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
My first reaction however to
that idea is that
superstitious less
informed people tend to
attribute all natural
disasters to godly wrath,
but these days we really
should be beyond such daft
notions.------Alwight. Read what moses wrote concerning the event. He gives names of actual people involved in the event....abraham, lot, lot's wife, God. These people are all mentioned in other biblical genealogies. It is quite an elaborate story and quite unnecessary to be told if not true. Read the whole book of genesis. Why put a completely fictious story in that part of the book? Contemporaries of moses would have read it and been aware of the volcanic eruption. They would have known the story was full of crap if it was. Moses wrote 4 other books and strongly condemns such intentional storytelling in them. Blasphemy against God is serious business according to what moses wrote in those 5 books. Why would moses intentionally blaspheme God by making him a murderer of innocent children if the story was not true?

alwight

My first reaction however to
that idea is that
superstitious less
informed people tend to
attribute all natural
disasters to godly wrath,
but these days we really
should be beyond such daft
notions.------Alwight. Read what moses wrote concerning the event. He gives names of actual people involved in the event....abraham, lot, lot's wife, God. These people are all mentioned in other biblical genealogies. It is quite an elaborate story and quite unnecessary to be told if not true. Read the whole book of genesis. Why put a completely fictious story in that part of the book? Contemporaries of moses would have read it and been aware of the volcanic eruption. They would have known the story was full of crap if it was. Moses wrote 4 other books and strongly condemns such intentional storytelling in them. Blasphemy against God is serious business according to what moses wrote in those 5 books. Why would moses intentionally blaspheme God by making him a murderer of innocent children if the story was not true?
My explanation doesn't seem to ring true to you then, even though we know how people do tend to make up explanations for things not understood?
I realise that you may simply want to look for ways to believe that what you read is all somehow true, but I rather think that I am being the more rational and realistic here voltaire.
Moses may or may not have written stories himself but he certainly didn't write them for the Bible or about his own death I think.

A nastier tale of misogyny would be hard to find than is that of Lot and his daughters.
Though it is a theme echoed or plagiarised perhaps in Judges 19, even worse.
Do you really think Lot's wife actually did turn into a pillar of salt or wouldn't you suspect, initially at least, someone is spinning a yarn, however dutifully recorded in the Pentateuch no doubt.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
alwight. Ever seen the ruins of pompeii exhibit? Lots of people perfectly preserved in volcanic ash are there. Picture lot's wife as one of the people in the pompeii exhibit and you can see what moses meant by a pillar of salt. No, moses did not write all of the pentateuch but why should we attribute other writer to most of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.